George Braith Laughing Soul

bertrand

AMG claims that this is the track order for Geroge Braith's Laughing Soul. Is this correct? Are the composers credits correct (AMG claims #9 is by Braith, but I know it's Dixon)? Is the title 'Chunky Cheeks' or 'Chunky Chicks'?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

1. Hot Sauce (Braith)

2. Chopsticks (Braith)

3. Chunky Cheeks (Ben Dixon)

4. Crenshaw West (Braith)

5. Please Let Me Do It (Braith)

6. Coolodge (Collage) (Braith)

7. With Malice Toward None (Tom McIntosh)

8. Little Flame (Braith)

9. Cantelope Woman (Ben Dixon)

Edited by bertrand

• 10 months later...

i assume this is one of his PRESTIGE's? were those AFTER the bluenotes? are the prestiges very different (musically) than braiths blue note albums (of which i have in the handy 2 cd set from a few seasons ago)

The label and the sleeve of the original Prestige issue are different.

The sleeve gives the titles pretty much as Bertrand listed them:

1. Hot Sauce

2. Chop sticks

3. Chunky Cheeks

4. Crenshaw West

5. Please Let Me Do It

6. Coolodge

7. With Malice Toward None

8. Little Flame

9. Cantelope Woman

The label gives the following:

Side 1

1. Hot Sauce (Braith)

2. Chop sticks (Braith)

3. Chunky Cheeks (Dixon)

4. Crenshaw West (Braith)

Side 2

1. Please Let Me Do It (Braith)

2. Collage (Braith)

3. With Malice Toward None (McIntosh)

4. Little Flame (Braith)

5. Cantelope Woman (Dixon)

The insert and label of the Japanese CD issue give the same title information as the sleeve of the original. The insert attributes "Cantelope woman" to Braith.

I believe the date of 1 March 1966 for this session.

I believe that is also the date of the Grassella Oliphant session. This is despite the entry in Lord which gives the date as 1 March 1965 - which I think he got from the Ruppli discography of Atlantic. That album CAN'T have been recorded in March 1965, because it includes "Ain't that peculiar", which was released late in 1965, and "Get out of my life woman", which hit the R&B charts in January 1966.

However, the tracks on the Oliphant album sound like they were recorded in two sessions; one with just Patton, Green and Oliphant, the other with Ousley, Terry and Holley added. The sound, particularly of the drums, is very different on those tracks. So it's just possible that there was more than one date. I think it's unlikely, however. I reckon the engineer redid the set up, when the horns arrived or left. [Edit - neither the original LP nor Japanese CD issue give any date.]

I see no reason why the two albums couldn't have been recorded on the same day. It would be unusual but not impossible, since the Atlantic studios were in New York and we all know where RVGs was.

"Laughing soul" is my favourite George Braith album. It's not as good as his Blue Notes but is much more likeable and friendly.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg