Can someone please explain Japanese reissues?

I'm contemplating the purchase of a few Tubby Hayes reissues (Japanese sleeve editions) from Dusty Groove. As of now, my collection is American, with a few British imports. What can I expect? I'd assume better sound. Are the liner notes in English? Are Japanese reissues usually legitimate (compared to Definitive or Lonehill, not that I have anything against them)? Have those of you that have purchased Japanese editions been pleased?

Thanks

lejeune in june...

if your looking at the fontanas of the ronnie scotts dates i'd say take the plunge. those japanese re-issues are in fotana-esque mini sleeves - which means they are kind of cheezy compared to the hefty japanese mini-lps one might be used to as in the JRVG series. i gather that the original vinyls from the uk were in rather flimsy covers and the japanese have replicated them to a t.

sound wise they are great. while i have only heard the japanese versions of "Mexican Green" and "100 %" (which i think were from vinyl sources) from the batch prior these new ones seem pretty impressive when just compared to those.

i don't have the discs on hand but i believe the liners are on the back covers if they were there in the first place on the vinyl when issued. the pull-out sleeve notes are japanese.

I have several of these and I wouldn't say the sound is "great". From this second batch of Fontanas, I have two of them and I would agree with "adequate". I doubt they had access to the masters. In fact, there's some doubt as to the existence of the masters.

As for the packaging, of all the mini-LPs I've ever bought, these are the cheesiest. They're made out of very thin cardboard that wouldn't stand up to a sneeze, much less heavy handling.

The music on these CDs is great! I wouldn't be without it. If they ever get a proper reissue, I'll probably consider re-buying them.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan