Alegria

mr jazz

Being that I live in the U.S. (where the album has not been released) and in a lame city (where advanced copies of cool new albums don't turn up in used bins), I'll have to wait until 3/25 for this one to come out before I'll hear it. But I can personally *guarantee* that it *will* be going home with me THAT VERY DAY. Oh yes...

I have the cd -- it is excellent! I had posted on the "other" board about this -- I had forgotten that this was done BEFORE his current tour, but it has the same personnel, with some additions. Wayne is definitely playing at a higher level. It is an all acoustic affair -- some tracks have a latin tinge to it, similar to Native Dancer but this is way different. The Villa Lobos tune is outstanding.

This is a gorgeous recording. It's been out in Europe for a couple of weeks because Shorter is on tour here. Beautiful understated arrangements. If the non-originals chosen are quite familiar (my heart fell at first when I read he was doing the Villa Lobos which appears on virtually every classical crossover CD) Shorter spins his usual off-the-wall magic on them, producing an abstract that comes out like something totally new.

I love the arrangements - at times they remind me of some of the quirkier UK arrangers like Django Bates.

A highly rewarding release.

I'm very taken by a point Shorter made about the album in a recent interview for UK's Jazzwise magazine:

It's a very eclectic album. Has your listening broadened as you've got older?

I was always that way as a child. But at this time I was thinking let's do those things that you felt and have thought about as a child growing up. The innocence of it is not having any bias or bigotry about anything. Let's celebrate being victorious over those kinds of petty, pitiful limitations that seem to consume so many people throughout history.

For a man who has often been characterised as being pretty inscrutable in interviews I've found a number of his recent comments to be the height of lucidity.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Wayne was pretty lucid on a BBC Radio 3 interview("Front Row")the other day too-you may be able to listen to this via the site's radio player(bbc.co.uk/frontrow),not sure how long they keep the archived stuff open tho'.

A real treat for us over here getting this set advance of the US.Beautiful record,reminded me in places of his cameos on Scofield's "Quiet",great to hear him in these settings(check out him on Joni Mitchell's "Travelogue" too if you like Wayne with orchestra)

Edited by Green Dolphin

• 2 months later...

Any more feedback on this one? I think it's brilliant. I had never really thought of Wayne as an arranger, but he does some great thing with the large ensemble. It's interesting to hear how these pieces developed over time. He performed some of them with an orchestra at Monterey in 2000, and it's great to hear them on record. It would have been nice if they had put the recording dates somewhere on the cd. Also, has anyone else noticed the peak distortion on She Walks Through the Fair? I looks like they tried to mask it with a crazy pan effect on the soprano and some reverb, but it's noticeable.

Joe,

Did you go to the Monterey concert? Which of these arrangements did they do? I was at Lincoln Center in 1998. They did 'Orbits' and 'Angola', but the arrangements were quite different.

I did notice the peak distortion, at least on the copy I burned of my original CD to listen to in the car. I didn't notice it on my original, though.

Bertrand.

Joe,

Did you go to the Monterey concert? Which of these arrangements did they do? I was at Lincoln Center in 1998. They did 'Orbits' and 'Angola', but the arrangements were quite different.

I did notice the peak distortion, at least on the copy I burned of my original CD to listen to in the car. I didn't notice it on my original, though.

Bertrand.

Yes, I was at the Monterey Concert in 2000. Here's the setlist-

9-17-00

The Monterey Jazz Festival

The Wayne Shorter Quintet -

w/ Danilo Perez, John Patitucci, Brian Blade, Alex Acuna

Masquelero

Aung San Suu Kyi

Ju Ju

The Wayne Shorter Quintet with the Monterey Jazz Festival Chamber Orchestra

Orbits

Angola