How to lose a customer

pasta

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, eBay will not straighten the market out for me, boss. You and I know that sometimes some veeery choice stuff goes for dirt cheap when no one, for whatever reason, is paying any attention.

But what does "Deelightful" go for on Ebay in that condition usually? Seems to me average BNs in play condition go for around 25-40 bucks on the average.

on the other hand, I have noticed that one of the nice things about the LP market is that prices these days seem very reasonable; one can big up a lot of nice stuff very affordably. The market forces are acting in a resonably sane way, with the odd craze now and than, usually led by some crazy foreign collector who buys 'em and stores them in some temperature controlled crypt near the arctic circle -

Edited by AllenLowe

The one that came out on CD as Last Session.

I could be wrong, but I think that that's one where you need the LP to get the original music since they either erased or attempted to mix out some "extraneous" playing on one tune and didn't tell anybody. Like I said, I could be wrong about that, though.

Well, now I'm confused. I was thinkng it was a saw solo by Roy Brooks, but then I remembered that Brooks ain't on that album, so now I don't know. Either somebody erased a Brooks saw solo off of some other album, or else they erased something else off of this one. If it was the Lee side, it wasn't a major solo, just some "coloring" or something.

Sorry for the forgetfulness.

Well, now I'm confused. I was thinkng it was a saw solo by Roy Brooks, but then I remembered that Brooks ain't on that album, so now I don't know. Either somebody erased a Brooks saw solo off of some other album, or else they erased something else off of this one. If it was the Lee side, it wasn't a major solo, just some "coloring" or something.

Sorry for the forgetfulness.

I think Freddie Waits plays saw on the record in question, but I'm too lazy to get up and look. Probably didn't want to ruin Waits's image as a drummer!

This post refers to the Lee Morgan question only.

Jim was correct about the editing out, and answers a nagging question I have had for years.

When Belden reissued the Lee Morgan 2-LP set a few years back (now OOP), he made a few creative changes.

1. He changed the title of the LP to the Last Session. Why?

2. On 'In What Direction Are You Headed', a solo that lasted about 2-3 minutes was mixed way down, so that the thing you hear most is the electric piano comping - which in itself is rather tedious. Nothing was excised, fortunately, but the instrument soloing is mixed way down so that you can hardly hear it.

What instrument, you ask? For the longest time, I had no idea. It was some sort of 'whoo-whoo' sound, but I couldn't place it. I assumed it was some sort of acoustic or electric percussion effect from Waits, but I was stuck.

Then, it dawned on me. Jim recalled Roy Brooks, but realized he was wrong. But Brooks is known (more than Waits) for his second instrument: the 'musical saw'! THAT'S WHAT IT WAS. I've been puzzled for years. And it also explains why Jim thought of Brooks. He sub-consciously remembered the saw, so naturally thought of Roy Brooks.

Because of this, I kept my vinyl of Lee Morgan all these years. Purchased in mint condition for $4 at a yard sale. One of my greatest finds.

Anyone else known for dablling in the 'musical saw'? Eddie Moore plays it on one track on Dewey Redman's Musics album.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand