Art Ensemble 1967/68 Box

Did anyone else see this on the recent e-mailing from Mosaic/True Blue? Too bad Chuck is on vacation, 'cause I'm wondering if this limited edition box is truly soon to be sold out/OOP?

I've been eyeing it for some time, and actually lost an E-bay auction of a used copy recently, but this note prompted me to finally take the plunge. I've only heard some of the music - the material released in a 1998 Japanese CD under Roscoe Mitchell's name, CONGLIPTIOUS (has the same tracks as the original LP plus 3 extras). Fascinating music, and historic. Check out this Chicago Tribune article (hey, no regional bias there!), which places the music alongside that of some major heavyweights: 20 boxed sets

If anyone else is interested, The Music Resource (www.themusicresource.com) has it for about $58 right now, substantially lower than the $75.00 list price. Their shipping times are often prolonged, but worth it for the discount.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, I know that Chuck sold a big bunch of his LP collection to help finance this box, and that he's slowly but surely moving forward with other reissues from his catalog as finances permit. So when this one is gone, it'll probably stay gone. At least until those folks at Definitve/Jazz Factory (or whatever it is) decide that the AACM has a big enough market (and until the material goes into Public Domain over there) to warrant a copy under their own label.

So act now if you (or anybody) even THINKS that they might want it. Chuck recently said how many copies are left, but I forget the number (not too far on either side of 100, I think, but don't hold me to that). Best to act sooner than later, just because. It really is beautiful music, and an OUTSTANDING package.

Edited by JSngry

Yes, to be clearer (I realize now I wasn't) I did go ahead and order it from The Music Resource given that it was a really good discount. Glad I did based on what you're saying, for sure! CONGLIPTIOUS is a real joy to listen to, fresh and exciting and daring and funny, so I would imagine the box will be more of the same.

Add me to the "very interested" list, especially after hearing SNURDY MCGURDY for the first time about a week ago. That album is the first with Roscoe Mitchell that I've heard and/or own, and I really dig it a lot. I assume he's on most, if not all, of the Arts Ensemble box. Hopefully Chuck still has a few left when he comes back from his vacation.

Drimala doesn't have it anymore.

I bought mine a while back from Cadence for the full $75 + $6 shipping.

Worth it many times over.

No "flames" please over Cadence shipping charges, tax if you live in New York state & small extra charge if you are not a subscriber. ( I think that covers all of the disclaimers.)

At any rate, last time I checked they (Cadence) still had it.

Nice discount at The Music Resource if they really have it.

Guest Chaney

...No "flames" please over Cadence shipping charges, tax if you live in New York state & small extra charge if you are not a subscriber. ( I think that covers all of the disclaimers.)...

I don't flame, I rant. :winky:

I bought this set directly from Chuck. Not to be uppity, but I kinda enjoy putting the money directly into Chuck's pocket as it seems like a more direct way to fund the release of future NESSA goodies.

That's the way I'll get mine as well...as soon as I can find some samples to listen to...

Drimala still has three sound clips up and working even though they are sold out of the set.

www.drimala.com

I also HIGHLY recommend grabbing a copy of this set while you still can.

That's the way I'll get mine as well...as soon as I can find some samples to listen to...

Drimala still has three sound clips up and working even though they are sold out of the set.

www.drimala.com

I also HIGHLY recommend grabbing a copy of this set while you still can.

Thanks John B.

Those are definitely swaying me.

I'm now wondering if maybe this should be the purchase I make with my Mosaic gift certificate... <_<

I wonder which will go out of print first...the Mosaic T/K/M, or JJ Johnson, or the Nessa AEC box?

To have such problems... :lol:

Chuck's "last 500" comment was on the BNBB last January. He also mentioned then that the set was on sale at Tower.com, but in the end they could not send one to me. I know such an experience is not uncommon with Tower...

BTW, the set is no longer listed on the Music Resource site.

Edited by Philip

I bought this set from Roscoe Mitchell at an AEC show last year. After listening to the first disc on the way home I asked for the day off the following day to absorb the rest. Most of the music is absolutely fantastic, though there are some frivolous moments I find difficult to enjoy; exercises that don't go much beyond, well, exercise. The concert was the first time I'd heard a note from the AEC. Since then I've obtained most of the recordings up to 1976 or so, each of which has its own distinct personality and surreal moods. Rumor has it that Jarman has rejoined the group and that they will tour in the future. Can anyone verify?

An update for the interested - The Music Resource now lists my order as "completed" on their Web site, so I'm assuming it is actually something they carry. Will keep people posted on when/if it actually arrives.

$58 is a nice bargain for the brand new set, couldn't pass it up. I don't think ordering from them should hurt Chuck or his reissue plans - they had to pay him to get it to sell to me after all, no? Better than buying it used I suppose...

I think frivolous is actually not a bad description of some of the stuff on these CDS. But then I'm a non-musician, so maybe I'm thinking of something different to Joe. "Silly" does seem to be an element of the AEC, at least in these early years.

It is kind of expressive, in its way - Not being deadly serious all the time.

Simon Weil

I agree that their sense of humor rings true. However, I don't think their experimentaion is wasted on trivial pursuits. But maybe since Scott Yanow agrees that there meanderous section I should consider changing my mind.

:)

Edited by shrugs

Man, I just listened to CONGLIPTIOUS again yesterday evening...I cannot WAIT for this box to arrive. Nothin' at all "frivolous" in that collection, although certainly well-placed use of humor is abundant.

Hey, that's cool. Not everyone likes everything!

I am curious though Out2Lunch -what do you think about the bass solo that opens the album CONGLIPTIOUS, "Tutankhamen"? I find it's very melodic and traditionally "musical" (not to mention phenomenal to my ears and beautifully, realistically recorded - a great "true" bass viol sound). Have you heard all the material and specifically this piece? Might serve as a nice way "in" if not...assuming you're even interested, you may not be (which is certainly OK!).

Certainly can't make anybody like what they fundamentally DISlike, and I'll not try, don't want to, but for the sake of saying something for the sake of saying something, I suppose its worth saying that all the ELEMENTS of "traditional" music are in there, they're just used in different ways.

Same ingredients, different recipie.

You may be right, but just not my cuppa tea. There is so much music out there that I really like and will continue to check out, just wanted to weigh in with my two cents. I am going through a bad spell healthwise these days and like to check in every once in a while to keep in touch with you good people. Thanks.