Mighty Quinn Records

mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a fantastic disc, the Adams that is, originally recorded in 1957. This is prime fantastic Pepper. Jimmy Rowles is notable on this. My favorite track was Alone Together, a ballad. However, the unsung star on this record was the trumpeter, Lee Katzman. Never heard of him. Man, this guy can blow. AMG has nothing of substance on him so you have to wonder what happened to him.

This is a must addition in my opinion for Pepper fans or a Pepper collection. It's unbelievable that this hasn't seen the light of day until now.

Edited by Brad

This is a fantastic disc, the Adams that is, originally recorded in 1957.  This is prime fantastic Pepper.  Jimmy Rowles is notable on this.  My favorite track was Alone Together, a ballad.  However, the unsung star on this record was the trumpeter, Lee Katzman.  Never heard of him.  Man, this guy can blow.  AMG has nothing of substance on him so you have to wonder what happened to him. 

This is a must addition in my opinion for Pepper fans or a Pepper collection.  It's unbelievable that this hasn't seen the light of day until now.

This is in my CD Universe order which should arrive on Monday.

Really looking forward to it.

I have a CD called Lee Katzman Meets Supersax (Jimmy Rowles on piano).

Very nice. Recorded 1982, released 2004. The only place I ever saw it was at ejazzlines, so I bought it from them. Don't know if they still have it.

Katzman is on a few other things.

Jive For Five: Bill Holman (also very good)

Jazz In A Weather Vane: Jimmy Rowles

Bill Holman Great Big Band

Live At The Summit: Terry Gibbs Dream Band

• 4 weeks later...

Just listened to the Land and the Adams and they are sure nice indeed! Also the remastering sounds good to me. Not so bright and high boosted as the McMasters, really warm sounding (maybe the tapes are like that).

Does anyone have any comments on the Hall and Condon (Lon?) sound and music wise? Not my style (yet?) but I would like to hear some opinions on those.

I have the Condon. I"ve lived with the original lp for years. I love the session. The sound on the cd is more "ambient" ---more room sound, a more recessed presentation. I like that though after years of the original presentation it's a little unsettling. But if you weren't familiar with the lp it would be a great remastering and sound and it's a very cool performance. Extra material as well, a good slab of it.

The songs are from the repretoire of the OJDB mostly, but not done in OJDB style. Chicago style all the way!

Does anyone have any comments on the Hall and Condon (Lon?) sound and music wise? Not my style (yet?) but I would like to hear some opinions on those.

I just got the Land, Adams, Hall, and Ellis (and the Rawls as a gift, will probably get the Condon later ran out of money). I will give the Hall a listen tonight or tomorrow.

I placed an order with CD Universe today for the Land, Ellis, Condon, Hall and Adams - along with the Hank Jones Oka-Tones release. I'm interesteded in hearing this more obscure stuff from the BN/Capitol/etc vaults. Would love to hear some Jonah Jones.

The sound on the cd is more "ambient" ---more room sound, a more recessed presentation.

Lon's description of the remastering for the Condon CD is also apt for the Hall CD. I really love the Edmond Hall release...it swings like crazy. Hall and Vic Dickenson make a great partnership.

Looking forward to picking up the Adams next!

• 1 year later...

I wonder what will become of Mighty Quinn now that EMI's been purhcased. The last I heard (about a year ago), Mighty Quinn was working on a Sal Salvador project, in conjunction with Salvador's daughter — live and at-home tapes. Was that project shelved, or did it actually come out?

Since Home Tapes have nothing to do with EMI these shouldn't be a problem for Jerry to do. The lease on tapes from EMI has gone up dramatically so it's very hard (and economically unwise) to do them for MQ. That's why the focus has shifted to new recordings. Let's hope an everual change of hands will lower the price of the lease so Jerry can produce some more forgotten gems from these vaults.

• 1 year later...

ok, catching up on this finally, but in massive style, he he...

I made use of the offer at True Blue (from yesterday's mailing):

More CDs Sale Priced at $8.98 Each!

Pepper Adams - Critics Choice - Regularly $14.98

The Intimate Patti Austin - Regularly $13.98

Roy Ayers - West Coast Vibes - Regularly $14.98

Bix Beiderbecke & The Chicago Cornets - Regularly $17.98

Goerge Benson - Good King Bad - Regularly $13.98

Bunny Berigan - The Complete Parlophone Sessions - Regularly $15.00

Art Blakey - The Best Of The Blue Note Years - Regularly $14.98

Natalie Cole - Inseparable - Regularly $13.98

Eddie Condon - Tiger Rag And All That Jazz - Regularly $14.98

Louis Cottrell - Bourbon Street - Regularly $15.98

Jimmy Dorsey - More Dorseyland Jaz Band - Regularly $15.98

Don Ellis - Essence - Regularly $14.98

Edmond Hall - Petite Fleur - Regularly $14.98

The Firehouse Five Ples Two Goes To A Fire - Regularly $15.98

Tommy Flanagan - Nights At The Vanguard - Regularly $15.98

Earl Klugh - Wishful Thinking - Regularly $13.98

Earl Klugh - Nightsongs - Regularly $13.98

Harold Land - Take Aim - Regularly $14.98

Hubert Laws - Afro-Classic - Regularly $13.98

Ray Nance - Body And Soul - Regularly $14.98

Claus Ogerman & Michael Brecker - Cityscape - Regularly $13.98

Paul Quinichette - Like Basie - Regularly $14.98

The Pilgrim Travelers Featuring Lou Rawls - Regularly $14.98

Ralph Sutton - Partners In Crime - Regularly $30.00

The Ultimate Kirk Whalum - Regularly $13.98

JATP At Carnegie Hall 1949 - Regularly $12.98

I sent in an order for all the Mighty Quinns, as well as for the Hubbard Mosaic Contemporary which can be had there for a sale prize, too!

Mighty Quinn themselves have a 10$ sale for all their releases, too... might have been the smarter option, but as I went with surface shipping, it's cheaper to order from TrueBlue, with air mail I'd have to calculate anew.

Excited to finally get to hear the Adams, Condon, Quinichette, and Hall, and to get a legal copy of the Land at last (had a vinyl rip for years).

ok, catching up on this finally, but in massive style, he he...

I made use of the offer at True Blue (from yesterday's mailing):

More CDs Sale Priced at $8.98 Each!

Pepper Adams - Critics Choice - Regularly $14.98

The Intimate Patti Austin - Regularly $13.98

Roy Ayers - West Coast Vibes - Regularly $14.98

Bix Beiderbecke & The Chicago Cornets - Regularly $17.98

Goerge Benson - Good King Bad - Regularly $13.98

Bunny Berigan - The Complete Parlophone Sessions - Regularly $15.00

Art Blakey - The Best Of The Blue Note Years - Regularly $14.98

Natalie Cole - Inseparable - Regularly $13.98

Eddie Condon - Tiger Rag And All That Jazz - Regularly $14.98

Louis Cottrell - Bourbon Street - Regularly $15.98

Jimmy Dorsey - More Dorseyland Jaz Band - Regularly $15.98

Don Ellis - Essence - Regularly $14.98

Edmond Hall - Petite Fleur - Regularly $14.98

The Firehouse Five Ples Two Goes To A Fire - Regularly $15.98

Tommy Flanagan - Nights At The Vanguard - Regularly $15.98

Earl Klugh - Wishful Thinking - Regularly $13.98

Earl Klugh - Nightsongs - Regularly $13.98

Harold Land - Take Aim - Regularly $14.98

Hubert Laws - Afro-Classic - Regularly $13.98

Ray Nance - Body And Soul - Regularly $14.98

Claus Ogerman & Michael Brecker - Cityscape - Regularly $13.98

Paul Quinichette - Like Basie - Regularly $14.98

The Pilgrim Travelers Featuring Lou Rawls - Regularly $14.98

Ralph Sutton - Partners In Crime - Regularly $30.00

The Ultimate Kirk Whalum - Regularly $13.98

JATP At Carnegie Hall 1949 - Regularly $12.98

I sent in an order for all the Mighty Quinns, as well as for the Hubbard Mosaic Contemporary which can be had there for a sale prize, too!

Mighty Quinn themselves have a 10$ sale for all their releases, too... might have been the smarter option, but as I went with surface shipping, it's cheaper to order from TrueBlue, with air mail I'd have to calculate anew.

Excited to finally get to hear the Adams, Condon, Quinichette, and Hall, and to get a legal copy of the Land at last (had a vinyl rip for years).

You obviously got a birthday windfall.

Either that or there was another raid on the Swiss banks.. :unsure:

Hey, that's not my order list, that's the list from the email... :)

my order is:

these Mighty Quinns:

ADAMP05 ADAMS-CRITICS CHOICE 1.00 1.00 0.00

AYERR01 R. AYERS - WEST COAST VIBES 1.00 1.00 0.00

CONDE19 CONDON-TIGER RAG 1.00 1.00 0.00

ELLIDO07 DON ELLIS-ESSENCE 1.00 1.00 0.00

HALLE02 EDMOND HALL-PETITE FLEUR 1.00 1.00 0.00

LANDH06 LAND-TAKE AIM 1.00 1.00 0.00

QUINP03 QUINICHETTE-LIKE BASIE 1.00 1.00 0.00

NANCR01 R. NANCE - BODY & SOUL 1.00 1.00 0.00

plus:

HUBBF19 HUBBARD-SUPER BLUE 1.00 1.00 0.00

SMITLO01VG L. SMITH-THINK! -VG 1.00 1.00 0.00

And in case anyone else is taking use of this offer, the JATP Carnegie Hall 1949 is highly recommended as well!

Excited to finally get to hear the ... Quinichette, and Hall, and to get a legal copy of the Land at last (had a vinyl rip for years).

I ordered these three from Mighty Quinn, and they'are all fine! The Land sounds much better than the Blue Note LT series LP.

Excited to finally get to hear the ... Quinichette, and Hall, and to get a legal copy of the Land at last (had a vinyl rip for years).

I ordered these three from Mighty Quinn, and they'are all fine! The Land sounds much better than the Blue Note LT series LP.

Hmm. Looks like the Land was under my radar. Sounds like I will have to check it out. Thanks.