playing electric bass

Jazz Kat

I wish I'd taken up the bass at your age. It's the glue of the ensemble, holding everything else together, especially in the smaller R&B and rock groups. Imagine the Beatles without McCartney(who began as a guitarist, BTW), or The Who without Entwistle.

And James Jamerson was the man. Period.

Love the bass. Acoustic or electric.

Some of my favorite jazz musicians ever, regardless of instrument: Jimmy Blanton, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers, Charles Mingus.

Edited by Kalo

I wish I'd taken up the bass at your age. It's the glue of the ensemble, holding everything else together, especially in the smaller R&B and rock groups. Imagine the Beatles without McCartney(who began as a guitarist, BTW), or The Who without Entwistle.

And James Jamerson was the man. Period.

Love the bass. Acoustic or electric.

Some of my favorite jazz musicians ever, regardless of instrument: Jimmy Blanton, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers, Charles Mingus.

We share many influences. However, I would like to add Willie Weeks to the equation. :)

I can't give any direct advice- I play upright, always have, never played slab.

I LOVE playing the bass, though - a good choice for a jazzer. Get good and you'll never lack work.

I would like to recommend that you navigate to Talkbass.com and check out the many newbie threads there. There's a wealth of knowledge to be had there.

If you're interested in playing the upright, I would strongly encourage you to investigate that, but we should save that for another thread, right? ;)

• 2 weeks later...