playing electric bass

Jazz Kat

This is a question for all you guitar players out there.

a rather random question, hopefully it will make sense...

How different is playing electric bass from guitar. Well duh. they're two different instruments made for different jobs, (most of the time) but never-the-less the two are both guitars. Do you people who play guitar play electric bass too?

The reason I'm asking this is because in my band i used to play guitar, but for some reason I got roped into playing bass. It was a little bit on my part too, they didnt kick me off guitar or nothing. I just want to know how much of a change, or even step down is this.. I call myself a guitar player. Is playing electric bass for now making that statement not true?

How different is playing electric bass from guitar. Well duh. they're two different instruments made for different jobs, (most of the time) but never-the-less the two are both guitars. Do you people who play guitar play electric bass too?

The reason I'm asking this is because in my band i used to play guitar, but for some reason I got roped into playing bass. It was a little bit on my part too, they didnt kick me off guitar or nothing. I just want to know how much of a change, or even step down is this.. I call myself a guitar player. Is playing electric bass for now making that statement not true?

Imho bass is THE instrument. All others fall in it's wake. Be a BASS player. Not a disappointed guitarist. Forget the guitar. Throw yourself 100% into bass and you're chances of having a successful career in music has just increased 100 fold. Good bass players are the hardest musician to find. Great ones even harder. Those that do it well gig more than even great drummers imho. One reason I started on organ was that I could play my own bass. This was from first hand knowledge that good bass players are impossible to find (especially when the breat ain't all that great). Be a bass player Jazz Kat and forget every other instrument. Study the greats....Blanton, Brown, Watkins, Chambers, Workman, ect. Play upright and electric. Take lessons. Study the instrument. When the guitar player that replaced you is working his day job in 10 years....you will be gigging if you practice hard.

Imho bass is THE instrument. All others fall in it's wake. Be a BASS player. Not a disappointed guitarist. Forget the guitar. Throw yourself 100% into bass and you're chances of having a successful career in music has just increased 100 fold. Good bass players are the hardest musician to find. Great ones even harder. Those that do it well gig more than even great drummers imho. One reason I started on organ was that I could play my own bass. This was from first hand knowledge that good bass players are impossible to find (especially when the breat ain't all that great). Be a bass player Jazz Kat and forget every other instrument. Study the greats....Blanton, Brown, Watkins, Chambers, Workman, ect. Play upright and electric. Take lessons. Study the instrument. When the guitar player that replaced you is working his day job in 10 years....you will be gigging if you practice hard.

Wow Soulstream, pretty encouraging. I think I know what to do. The bass seems perfect for me. I solo pretty good up and down the neck and have a pretty good ear. Thanks for the help. Give me a call in 2 years!! If you decide to throw away those pedals... :g

There's a lot of truth in what Soul Stream says. There are so many guitar players out there. If you can play bass, in mean really play bass, you will be a fairly rare commodity. Being a guitar player, I recognized this long ago, so I've tried to develop a bassline/comping approach that will make me more flexible as a player.

P.S. Don't forget to check out classic R&B and Soul records for the amazing basslines that anchor these great recordings.

Jazz Kat....

I'm such a huge fan of the bass. I think if I had it all to do over again, I'd pick up the bass and never look back as a kid. It plays such an amazing role in music. As a youngster, many times we look at instruments that are solo-worthy...guitars, pianos, ect. But as you grow older, you realize music at it's best is a communal affair. That's why bass becomes very, very, very important. Not to mention, solo bass is also very beautiful.

So....don't grieve the guitar too much. Being "religated" to bass may have been the best thing to have ever happened to you. But you do have to WANT to play it and love it.

Yeah I do.. Being a drummer all my life, the bass was the first instrument that I was curious about besides the drums. This was about at age 10. As I picked up the vibes, played trumpet and trombone in the school band, begun to take piano lessons, I still had this yearning to play bass. (also saxophone) Then around five or four years ago, my sister got a guitar for Christmas. (OOO I want a guitar, I'll practice every day!!!!) With three weeks of lessons, she dumped it. I quickly took the guitar into my room, and with just weeks of playing non-sense, I finally started to pick it up. I was soloing pretty good at this point. But I naturally knew how to play a bass at this point, because I wa jamming on my friend's bass. It was the first time I ever played one, and he was like, "man you're better than me!" I didn't know any notes or scales or anything, so I just took it off... But now I really want to go ahead full throttle into the bass with that worthy encouragement. Thanks Soulstream!

P.S. Don't forget to check out classic R&B and Soul records for the amazing basslines that anchor these great recordings.

Stax stuff?

Stax stuff is great -- check out bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn of Booker T & the MGs

http://staxrecords.free.fr/dunn.htm

dunn380.jpg

And Motown -- especially James Jamerson:

http://www.bassland.net/jamersonhits.htm

jamerson.jpg

There's a bio of Jamerson, Standing in the Shadows of Motown, that includes transcriptions and 2 CDs, that's a lot of fun to work with (click on the book's title to see more).

Plus:

Verdine White of Earth, Wind & Fire

Larry Graham of Sly and the Family Stone

Marcus Miller, ofall kinds of recordings -- will give you a lot of technique ideas.

And, as someone else mentioned in answer to your Flecktones question:

Victor Wooten!

In the non-soul vein, I know not everyone loves him, but check out how Steve Swallow uses the electric bass.

And if you happen to come across the electric bassist John Henry Robinson III, who played with salsa bandleader Angel Canales --

well, that's a whole 'nother world of possibilities for electric bass.

EDIT: PS -- from a pianist-turned-electric-bassist, and glad I did!

Edited by maren

There's a lot of truth in what Soul Stream says.  There are so many guitar players out there.  If you can play bass, in mean really play bass, you will be a fairly rare commodity.  Being a guitar player, I recognized this long ago, so I've tried to develop a bassline/comping approach that will make me more flexible as a player. 

Besides, haven't you noticed that all the guitar players on this board have some serious head trips going on? :crazy:

:g

Go forth and play the bass, young man!

Stax stuff?

I pretty much would echo Maren's recommendations. I would also include Jerry Jemmont on the short list.

Jerry Jemmott used to advertise as a teacher in the Village Voice -- anyone know if he's still around?

Seems like he's still around. Have a closer look and prove me wrong...

Since I enjoy my fretless more than the fretted bass, I was really into getting up to date with Percy Jones last Winter. He's more of a prog-rock fusion guy, but I love the way he slides around.

Any thoughts on Percy, Maren?

And I heard Curlew with Ann. Now there's another crazy prog-rock bassist!

There's a lot of truth in what Soul Stream says.  There are so many guitar players out there.  If you can play bass, in mean really play bass, you will be a fairly rare commodity.  Being a guitar player, I recognized this long ago, so I've tried to develop a bassline/comping approach that will make me more flexible as a player. 

Besides, haven't you noticed that all the guitar players on this board have some serious head trips going on? :crazy:

:g

Go forth and play the bass, young man!

If being practical constitutes a head trip, guilty as charged! :blush:

I play guitar professionally and have recorded bass on some project recordings.

For me it started with Jamerson, then Dunn, then Willie Weeks, then Chuck Rainey, and now I am investigating Chambers and Mingus. The cool thing about this, is that it has improved some elements of my guitar soloing.

I have the most respect for any solid bass player!

The thing that I love about bass is that it is a true litmus test of a listening musician. If you have a great bass player that listens to the harmonic flow of a group and wrangles that into something even more beautiful...THAT's beautiful. A great bass player just makes everybody in the group sound so much better if they're that good. That's fun. That's what playing music is all about.

Bass players and drummers that want to command and lead the group where THEY want to go are a drag. Unless they're Art Blakey or Charles Mingus that is.

Two summers ago I shared bass guitar duties with another guitar player in a pickup band that was put together to play your typical summer private party scene. We played a wide variety of music and I was forced to play bass on everything from "A Night In Tunisia" to "Whipping Post" and all points in between including healthy doses of Soul and R&B. One of my most musically satisfying experiences ever. That was a fun band! I need to dig up an old setlist just for grins.

Guest akanalog

as a keyboard player-not a piano player-just synths-one of my favorite things to do is to play synth bass. the last band i was in didn't have a bass player so i got to fill in a lot of the low end with pseudo moog-ey bass which is about my favorite thing to do (as well as one of my favorite things to listen to-george duke was one of the best at this on his MPS stuff and jan hammer can also do it well when he wants to)