Severe back pain...

A slipped disc was the first I thought of, second was a dislocated nerve. Whatever it is, only a doctor can tell. Following the advices to bend your knees and taking care to put only as little weight on the back as possible etc. is crucial. I keep my fingers crossed, Jim!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a bad back for 15 years so I feel your pain, so to speak. As others have said, get your self to a doctor, preferably an orthopedist. If you can, get some muscle relaxants because it sounds like you had a spasm and I've had several and it feels like somebody just shot you. A good relaxant is skelaxin. I'd also recommend an anti inflammatory. I'd say Celebrex but you know that story. The makers of Advil claim that it's just as effective as the prescribed anti inflammatories.

Be careful when you pick up something. Make your legs do the work, not the back. When you're able and under directions from a therapist go to a gym and do exercises that will help you. You can buy a book that has simple back exercises that you can do at home but wait until you see a doctor.

Good luck.

Never had any chronic back problems, but around three years ago I pulled something while lifting one of my little girls out of her car seat. No B-3 organ her - she might've weighed all of 12 pounds at the time - but nevertheless I pulled something in my back and it hurt more than anything I've ever experienced in my life. I still remember lying on the sofa and laughing at how ridiculous the whole thing was - but laughing about it caused my body to shake and that only caused more pain that brought tears to my eyes. It was the weirdest thing.

Anyhow, after a day or so (I expected it to just go away with some rest) I went to the doctor and she prescribed some pain and anti-inflamatory meds and told me to take it easy for a few days. And sure enough, in just a couple of days all was well. It ended up being a strained muscle rather than anything spinal, but damn that hurt like a sumbitch. Hopefully whatever ails you, Jim, is minor. But get they to a physician!

Anyhow, after a day or so (I expected it to just go away with some rest) I went to the doctor and she prescribed some pain and anti-inflamatory meds and told me to take it easy for a few days.  And sure enough, in just a couple of days all was well.  It ended up being a strained muscle rather than anything spinal, but damn that hurt like a sumbitch.  Hopefully whatever ails you, Jim, is minor.  But get they to a physician!

I had something similar happen to me a few months ago -- I somehow hurt my back and then stupidly aggravated it. Fortunately it was nothing serious but I'm more careful now... Or so I like to tell myself. :blink:

Guy

Another vote here for the chiropractor. You may have past damage also. I found out I had scoliosis. Thankfully it was in its early stages. It was all in my neck. A year later I find out I'm not 5'11", but 6'1". Some beginners yoga would be good to keep it in check after you've dealt with it all.

Thanks for all the advice, folks. Maren, I did have my foot on a chair when I was trying to tie my shoe!! It was so crazy.

I feel much better already tonight. I've been trying to be active, without straining myself. Walking, standing, going up and down stairs. But I just have this feeling back there that any moment the thing is going to go wacko on me again.

I'll try to get to a doctor tomorrow, although I have an opportunity to do some video post-production work for $250 a day tomorrow and I really really need the money. The doctor might have to wait until Wednesday.

Jim

As you have no red flag symptoms I'm not sure you really need to see a Dr at this point. I see loads of patients with acute mechanical back pain and it settles down usually with the advice I outlined above. Physio can be helpful if you're not getting moving after say 5-7 days.

trust me I'm a Dr.....really

adrian

i'll make this quick because i have to run off to work. i have a family history of back problems. also, one of my clinical specialties is managing chronic pain. ten years ago i had an accident and for the next year i did it all - chiropractor, physical therapy, accupuncture, pain management program - until it became almost impossible to sit or walk. i ended up having surgery and luckily, it saved me.

my recommendations are these: go to you pcp and get a referral to see an orthopedic surgeon. don't let the name scare you. they're not cut-happy and they do the best job of assessing and diagnosing you back problems. most likely, you'll be reffered for phsyical therapy where they'll teach you what to do and what not to do to strenthen your back and avoid re-injury. if you're overweight, get rid off the excess baggage - it's a frequent source of back strain and pain. if you really care about your back, you'll make stretching and strengthening exercises a part of your daily morning routine. you've only got one back, and if you don't take care of it, you'll be in for a heap o' trouble for the rest of your life.

good luck.

i'll make this quick because i have to run off to work. i have a family history of back problems. also, one of my clinical specialties is managing chronic pain. ten years ago i had an accident and for the next year i did it all - chiropractor, physical therapy, accupuncture, pain management program - until it became almost impossible to sit or walk. i ended up having surgery and luckily, it saved me.

my recommendations are these: go to you pcp and get a referral to see an orthopedic surgeon. don't let the name scare you. they're not cut-happy and they do the best job of assessing and diagnosing you back problems. most likely, you'll be reffered for phsyical therapy where they'll teach you what to do and what not to do to strenthen your back and avoid re-injury. if you're overweight, get rid off the excess baggage - it's a frequent source of back strain and pain. if you really care about your back, you'll make stretching and strengthening exercises a part of your daily morning routine. you've only got one back, and if you don't take care of it, you'll be in for a heap o' trouble for the rest of your life.

good luck.

Lots of good advice here.....I too have had back problems...on and off for the past 20 years(Never take an old intake manifold off from the front of the car, instead of the side :rolleyes: )

If you need to see a doc, don't get discouraged if you come across a stupid orthopedic surgeon. I went to one complaining of back pain back in '99 that I had had for weeks(injured it again moving book cases at Borders)when I asked about an MRI, he said that there was no point, even if they found a herniated disc....why they have done MRI's on people who don't have back pain, and some of them have bulging discs! :wacko:

Had to find another doctor to at least send me to physical therapists. Did that a few times, and after not making any real progress, one of the therapists had me sit in a chair with my chin on my chest, and try to bring each leg parallel to the ground. Well, one leg would, the other only came up about 6 inches...she said most likely I did have a herniated disc. So, went to the 3rd orthopedic surgeon(The docs and therapists are all suspicious of "young" people complaining of bad backs cuz of all the fakers out there) and finally got an MRI, and the disc was bad enough that the last resort was the next one, surgery.

IF you need it, as mentioned before, it really isn't that bad...I was painting the walls in the living room 4 days later (Couldn't really sit for a week)

Of course, one wants surgery as a last resort, so buy some of those big gel ice packs at Walgreens, or WalMart, they work wonders. Get some P.T. as well and watch how you sit, pick things up(You can put something like 1000 pounds of pressure on a disc bending the wrong way, thats why picking a pencil off the floor can wreck a back) and even get out of bed...role onto your side, and let your legs off the edge of the bed first and you pop up. Lifting your back off the bed first is no good for it...

Good luck!!!

Edited by BERIGAN

I work (seated) on editing workstation all day, and I am a motorbiker (around 10000 miles per year), so I suffered of back pain. My advise, after a Doctor, is GYM or POOL at least two times per week. Find a good trainer and move your ass, it works for me. ;)

I work (seated) on editing workstation all day, and I am a motorbiker (around 10000 miles per year), so I suffered of back pain. My advise, after a Doctor, is GYM or POOL at least two times per week. Find a good trainer and move your ass, it works for me.  ;)

Yeah Jim! Move yo ass - not just yo hand.

LonnieSmith07.jpg

I work (seated) on editing workstation all day, and I am a motorbiker (around 10000 miles per year), so I suffered of back pain. My advise, after a Doctor, is GYM or POOL at least two times per week. Find a good trainer and move your ass, it works for me.  ;)

LonnieSmith07.jpg

:lol:

It's doing much better, thank you! Must be because I'm young. I've been wearing a brace all day every day since the incident, which definitely has helped. I also haven't had to play or lift anything heavier than Zora, so I've been taking it easy.

Tomorrow will be a test... I have to play and kick bass. I'll get plenty of help getting the big B3 out of the van, for sure!

Stretching is key. I have a five minute routine I do every work day. Also you can do exercises just sitting in your chair and try to get up and move around hourly. I actually brought a timer into work just to remind me to do that.

LonnieSmith07.jpg

Move...yo....ass.... cuz I can't see..

Now I got those lyrics coupled with that melody in my head. Thanks Joe! lol

It's doing much better, thank you!  Must be because I'm young.  I've been wearing a brace all day every day since the incident, which definitely has helped.  I also haven't had to play or lift anything heavier than Zora, so I've been taking it easy.

Don't feed her too many donuts until your back improves :D

Guy