September 2005 RVGs

Kevin Bresnahan

I got a list of six upcoming titles in the RVG series, scheduled for Sept. I've been holding off posting them because they usually come in batches of 12. It looks like this might be only 6.

The fact that they have UPC codes seems to indicate they're done and ready to roll.

00946 311490 2 3 LEO PARKER – LET ME TELL YOU ‘BOUT IT

00946 311492 2 1 BLUE MITCHELL – DOWN WITH IT

00946 311494 2 9 STANLEY TURRENTINE – THAT’S WHERE IT’S AT

00946 311496 2 7 HANK MOBLEY – REACH OUT

00946 311423 2 1 LONNIE SMITH – TURNING POINT

00946 311426 2 8 THE SOUNDS OF JIMMY SMITH

BTW, I went back & forth with Michael Cuscuna to try and get him to change that Leo Parker title to "Rollin With Leo". I told him that the latest Spanish blue-tinged Blue Note CDs have satisfied the market for "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It" but Michael said it was already "in the can" for the Japanese market, so it's easier that way. I still think it's a mistake and poor Leo won't sell again. I just love these Leo Parker dates... I hate to see this title set up to flop.

Later,

Kevin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - I'm psyched about the Turrentine date, which has been impossible to find for years, but Reach Out?? I'm also pretty shocked that the Leo Parker made the RVG series and isn't a limited edition.

What's the date of that Jimmy Smith session? (Edit: never mind, checked out the discography myself. I would never have figured that the Mosaic material would be coming out already, not to mention receiving the RVG treatment before Back at the Chicken Shack and Midnight Special...)

Edited by Big Wheel

I'm happy about all these because I really dig the RVG Edition sound. Seems that the intent of the series has changed from offering remastered staples from the label to just offering remastered versions of almost anything on the label and I'm not complaining!

I'm happy about all these because I really dig the RVG Edition sound.  Seems that the intent of the series has changed from offering remastered staples from the label to just offering remastered versions of almost anything on the label and I'm not complaining!

Me either! Bout time too... much of this stuff has been unavailable in the UK for years (if it ever was).

Looking forward to the Blue Mitchell and the Jimmy Smith.

Don't know much about the Leo Parker... any opinions on it?

Wow - I'm psyched about the Turrentine date, which has been impossible to find for years, but Reach Out?? I'm also pretty shocked that the Leo Parker made the RVG series and isn't a limited edition.

Also looking forward to the Turrentine - one of his most sensitive albums, IMO. Les McCann plays well too. :tup

I got a list of six upcoming titles in the RVG series, scheduled for Sept. I've been holding off posting them because they usually come in batches of 12. It looks like this might be only 6.

The fact that they have UPC codes seems to indicate they're done and ready to roll.

00946 311490 2 3  LEO PARKER – LET ME TELL YOU ‘BOUT IT

00946 311492 2 1  BLUE MITCHELL – DOWN WITH IT

00946 311494 2 9  STANLEY TURRENTINE – THAT’S WHERE IT’S AT

00946 311496 2 7  HANK MOBLEY – REACH OUT

00946 311423 2 1  LONNIE SMITH – TURNING POINT

00946 311426 2 8  THE SOUNDS OF JIMMY SMITH

Is this in addition to these that have been mentioned for this Summer:

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique

McCoy Tyner - Time For Tyner

Blue Mitchell - Boss Horn

Andrew Hill - Judgement

Lonnie Smith - Think!

Jimmy Smith - Jimmy Smith at the Organ, Vol. 3

If so, when does this second summer batch come out? August?

00946 311423 2 1 LONNIE SMITH – TURNING POINT

Won't this be the very first U.S. issue of this title on CD??

I've got the TOCJ, and my memory is that it's never been a Rare Groove (nor a Conn), and it didn't get the McMaster treatment either back in the late 80's or early 90's either, did it??

That would make this a "slightly more interesting than usual" release in the RVG series, in terms of it's previous availability here in the U.S. -- doncha think??

Great date -- probably my favorite of all of Lonnie Smith's BN outings. :tup:tup

You're right Tom, not out on cd in the USA. 

This does mean that there is a shift from the original concept of the RVG series USA, and a good shift too!

Donald Byrd's "Slow Drag" had never been released before on CD in the U.S., and maybe not even in Japan either ( :o ) --- so this isn't the first time a title has slipped into the RVG series that hadn't even been on CD in the U.S. market before.

Thanks again for posting one of these lists. Very kind of you to share this information with the rest of us.

I told him that the latest Spanish blue-tinged Blue Note CDs have satisfied the market for "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It" but...

As for the above, I know I've said it before but, the argument you present really only holds water if we assume that a significant percentage of the U.S. jazz buying public actively seeks out Spanish(?!) Blue Note reissues. I'm just not sure that's the case...

Thanks again for posting one of these lists.  Very kind of you to share this information with the rest of us. 

I told him that the latest Spanish blue-tinged Blue Note CDs have satisfied the market for "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It" but...

As for the above, I know I've said it before but, the argument you present really only holds water if we assume that a significant percentage of the U.S. jazz buying public actively seeks out Spanish(?!) Blue Note reissues. I'm just not sure that's the case...

But Brandon, did you catch the thread the other day where people were ordering them from Dusty Groove? I go to two stores that sell quite a few copies of this as well. It is one of the Spanish Blue Notes that is selling very well. After all, it is a TOCJ mastering so it's sounds pretty darn good.

If this was "Rolling With Leo", there would be zero competition from this Spanish series. I think they should have gone for "Rolling With Leo".

Later,

Kevin

Kevin

Y'know, I buy nearly every US RVG just because I dig the extra photos and the Blumenthal essay. And my Leo's an LP burn that I'm itchin' to replace with the RVG. But man, Reach Out? Before Dippin'? Before Caddy for Daddy? Before Workout/Another Workout? WTF?!?!?!? :wacko:

Of course I'd love to see Rollin' with Leo RVG'd too. I hope you're wrong about this killing it...

You're right Tom, not out on cd in the USA. 

This does mean that there is a shift from the original concept of the RVG series USA, and a good shift too!

Donald Byrd's "Slow Drag" had never been released before on CD in the U.S., and maybe not even in Japan either ( :o ) --- so this isn't the first time a title has slipped into the RVG series that hadn't even been on CD in the U.S. market before.

Although the RVGs started out as a "the classics remastered" series, there have by now actually been quite a few that hadn't been on CD in the west before. Add these:

Groovin' At Smalls' Paradise (the very first of them, I think, back in 1999)

Rockin' The Boat

A Fickle Sonance

Capuchin Swing

Action

Am I Blue

Goin' West

Meet You At The Jazz Corner Of The World

Hustlin'

The Stylings Of Silver

In Pursuit Of The 27th Man

Thanks again for posting one of these lists.  Very kind of you to share this information with the rest of us. 

But Brandon, did you catch the thread the other day where people were ordering them from Dusty Groove? I go to two stores that sell quite a few copies of this as well. It is one of the Spanish Blue Notes that is selling very well. After all, it is a TOCJ mastering so it's sounds pretty darn good.

If this was "Rolling With Leo", there would be zero competition from this Spanish series. I think they should have gone for "Rolling With Leo".

Later,

Kevin

Kevin

I have to agree with Kevin. I don't know about the jazz buying public but I'm sure this Boards accounts for a good percentage of that and I'm sure most of us here have heard about the Spanish BNs, which is how I got mine.

Great that they are bringing the Lonnie Smith out. That one is quite difficult to find. Strange decision about 'Reach Out' though, as its not long ago since the last mid-price reissue of this one.

Why is Hutcherson's 'Inner Glow' still languishing in limbo land? :wacko:

Edited by sidewinder

I have to agree with Kevin.  I don't know about the jazz buying public but I'm sure this Boards accounts for a good percentage of that and I'm sure most of us here have heard about the Spanish BNs, which is how I got mine.

Again, this board does not account for the majority of the jazz buying public in the United States. It is a representation of it, yes. But there are a great many people in this country who are wholly unaware of the many concurrent reissue series in other nations.

I think sometimes we forget that the "average joe" is quite a bit less informed about these types of things than your typical Organissimo member. I see the typical US jazz CD buyer not as someone who discusses discographical errors on Internet message boards, but rather people with a more, shall we say, passive interest in the music.

It's important to mention that I'm not exactly losing sleep over this or anything. I just think it's worth pointing out is all...