Roy Ayers

Jazz Kat

Yeah, and a darn good one.

He's one of the Godfathers of Acid Jazz, you know.

"Everybody Loves The Sunshine" % "Searchin'" are two classics from the mid-70s that never fail to bring back good memories. His "commercial" work seems to have had an arc where that period was the peak of the creative/commercial intersection. Kinda got over-produced and such for my tastes after that.

Check out Virgo Vibes - Charles Tolliver, Joe HEnderson, Harold Land, no BS.

If you're a fan of the vibes-and-piano front line, JK, you should check out Ayers' work with West Coast pianist Jack Wilson. Something Personal (Blue Note) and Ramblin' (Fresh Sound... can't remember the original label) should get you started. Solid mid-60s edgy piano-vibes 4tet hardbop. You will like it, I'm sure.

Wasn't there some thread on him already? Too little time to do a search ...

These are the pre 1970 jazz LPs:

Atlantic SD 1406 Jack Wilson – The Jack Wilson Quartet feat. Roy Ayers

*Atlantic SD 1488 Roy Ayers – Virgo Vibes

*Blue Note BST 84251 Jack Wilson – Something Personal (Connoisseur CD oop)

*Pacific Jazz PJ-46 Curtis Amy – Way Down

*Pacific Jazz PJ-62 Curtis Amy – Tippin‘ On Through

United Artists UAS 5232 Roy Ayers – West Coast Vibes

Vault 9001 Jack Wilson – Brazilian Mancini

*Vault 9002 Jack Wilson – Ramblin‘ (Fresh Sound CD)

Those marked * are on CD - the Amy LPs are on his Mosaic Select.

I have yet to find a good Ayers album, maybe I should try that Virgo Vibes thing. OK 'Everybody Loves The Sunshine' is a classic, which seems to have influenced a whole generation of the so called nu-jazzers. However, the popularity of the rest of his 70's output baffles me. I have this 2CD compilation but IMO the songs are seriously lacking even in the groove/dance genre. :tdown

Check out Virgo Vibes - Charles Tolliver, Joe Henderson, Harold Land, no BS.

true

Absolutely!! :tup:tup:tup

Killer version of Tolliver's "The Ringer", and a rather nice version of Gerald Wilson's "In The Limelight" (which Ayers played on the original version of, with Wilson).

Also, the "Ronnie Clark" listed in the credits on three of the tunes is actually none other than Herbie Hancock(!!).

Be sure to get the more recent Atlantic Masters digipak issue, cuz it has a couple bonus tracks from the same sessions (not alternate takes, but two otherwise unreleased songs -- about 13 minutes of extra material).

Warning: There was an earlier CD issue of Virgo Vibes as two-fer from "Collectables" with another Ayers album (Bug Daddy) tacked on the same CD. The sound quality of the "Collectables" issue is pretty bad, and the extra album isn't even half as good as Virgo Vibes (IMHO). Don't think you're saving yourself any money by getting the "Collectables" issue. The Atlantic issue is lightyears better.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Guest akanalog

i also fine ayers 70s output totally overrated. i don't see what is so great about his albums.

virgo vibes is a fine album but in the greater scope of roy ayers this album is a blip. there just hasn't been too much above average stuff, in my opinion.

i guess part of it is he seems to rely on vocals a lot more than other jazzers getting funky.

i heard a roy ayers live CD from maybe montreux or somewhere which i think had DAVID LEE on drums and was frm 1970 or so. he played a miles tune-i think "it's about that time" and this album seemed ok but i have never seen it since.

Wasn't there some thread on him already? Too little time to do a search ...

*Atlantic SD 1488 Roy Ayers – Virgo Vibes

*Blue Note BST 84251 Jack Wilson – Something Personal (Connoisseur CD oop)

*Pacific Jazz PJ-46 Curtis Amy – Way Down

*Pacific Jazz PJ-62 Curtis Amy – Tippin‘ On Through

United Artists UAS 5232 Roy Ayers – West Coast Vibes

Vault 9001 Jack Wilson – Brazilian Mancini

*Vault 9002 Jack Wilson – Ramblin‘ (Fresh Sound CD)

Those marked * are on CD - the Amy LPs are on his Mosaic Select.

Mike,

Yes--this thread on Virgo Vibes.

I have yet to find a good Ayers album, maybe I should try that Virgo Vibes thing. OK 'Everybody Loves The Sunshine' is a classic, which seems to have influenced a whole generation of the so called nu-jazzers. However, the popularity of the rest of his 70's output baffles me. I have this 2CD compilation but IMO the songs are seriously lacking even in the groove/dance genre. :tdown

Virgo Vibes is a great session! Definitely worth checking out.

Those marked * are on CD.

This one is available on CD from Collectables on one of their bizarre 2-for-1 combinations, paired with Frances Wayne's Warm Sound Of Frances Wayne.

There was a time, posters, when Roy Ayers was THE coming vibist. He could out play anyone and could emulate Milt Jackson at the drop of a hat. He was really at the top when he was playing with the flutist, Herbie Mann and pianist Jack Wilson. HOWEVER, somewhere along the line, he decided he was going to get rich. Thus all the other "stuff" that has his name on it including Searchin' and "Sunshine" tunes. I can remember when Roy was playing on Adams Blvd. in Los Angeles with an organ player named Kozzy Gardner. Man, they would swing all the time. However, Roy is now rich as he intended to be but no longer occupys the minds of true swinging vibists. Sad in a way, but remember, he is rich. He is not the first jazzer to cop out and definitely will not be the last. Shit happens :excl:

• 3 weeks later...
:) Yes Ramblin is great, met Roy at jazz weekender, he said that he was massive Cal Tjader fan, and played a tribute tune for me, i wouldent sell him my Cal t-shirt though. Love the version of sidewinder and Ponciana, and rest of Ramblin, like the man said if you dont like this, your ear is not receptive to class music, paul london