Joe Lovano - General discussion

Alon Marcus

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of Lovano's, I don't connect with all his work, but I love his willingness to tackle odd or tough projects, and I actually like most his most surface-seemingly "retro" projects such as the Dameron composititons and the quartet with Hank Jones (I think he and Jones are a fantastic pairing).

I've met Joe here in Austin, totally informally and out of the blue, and I want to say that I have never ever met anyone with any sort of vestige of "fame" who was more open, friendly, and just plain warm. I'll never forget how nice and easy it was to just stand and talk to him for a few minutes!

Perhaps the most exciting playing I've heard from him was a large ensemble project that Danny D'Imperio did that featured him. My favorite all around is "All for You."

Marty, Moose, Jazzbo --

Out of the two nonet projects (On This Day, 52nd Street Themes), which is better?

Guy

Both are excellent. If you have to choose one, then the choice depends on your listening preferences. If you prefer the relative tightness of a studio session and that tracks not stretch out excessively, then go for the 1999 recording 52nd STREET THEMES. This CD contains 13 cuts (5 of them penned by Tadd Dameron), ranging in length from 2 to 8 minutes.

If you like the relative looseness of a live date wherein musicians tend to stretch out a bit more, then go for the 2002 recording, ON THIS DAY. This CD has 7 tracks (2 penned by Dameron), between 5 to 15 minutes in length.

Hope that was helpful.

Martin

Both are excellent.  If you have to choose one, then the choice depends on your listening preferences.  If you prefer the relative tightness of a studio session and that tracks not stretch out excessively, then go for the 1999 recording 52nd STREET THEMES.  This CD contains 13 cuts (5 of them penned by Tadd Dameron), ranging in length from 2 to 8 minutes.

If you like the relative looseness of a live date wherein musicians tend to stretch out a bit more, then go for the 2002 recording, ON THIS DAY.  This CD has 7 tracks (2 penned by Dameron), between 5 to 15 minutes in length.

Definitely helpful -- thanks Marty. It looks like I'll get this one after Rush Hour.

Guy

Both are excellent.  If you have to choose one, then the choice depends on your listening preferences.  If you prefer the relative tightness of a studio session and that tracks not stretch out excessively, then go for the 1999 recording 52nd STREET THEMES.  This CD contains 13 cuts (5 of them penned by Tadd Dameron), ranging in length from 2 to 8 minutes.

If you like the relative looseness of a live date wherein musicians tend to stretch out a bit more, then go for the 2002 recording, ON THIS DAY.  This CD has 7 tracks (2 penned by Dameron), between 5 to 15 minutes in length.

Definitely helpful -- thanks Marty. It looks like I'll get this one after Rush Hour.

Guy

Glad I was of help but just out of curiosity, which one are you getting?

Guy

Glad I was of help but just out of curiosity, which one are you getting?

Whoops, I'm getting On This Day sometime over the next five years.

Guy

• 5 months later...

One Lovano side that has yet to be mentioned on here but deserves a listen is his first Blue Note recording called "Universal Language". This recording not only re-introduced me to Tim Hagans adventurous playing, it also showcased some nice writing by Joe. The frontline of Lovano, Hagans and Judi Silvano (ala Kenny Wheeler's use of Norma Winston's voice as wordless color to a melodic line) caught my ear immediately. Very nice writing that seems to be the muse for some very nice interplay between Joe and Tim.

The aforementioned "Four Quartets" recording brought out a unique Tom Harrell voice as well....very Don Cherry-like on Ornette's "Fort Worth". The "Trio Fascination" series was a lovely project as well, but "Sounds of Joy", with Anthony Cox and Ed Blackwell quenches my trio jones much more than the rotating roster of Fascination. Anthony and Ed hook up so well on that recording, Joe has no other choice than to react, play his ass off and hold on tight.

Speaking of trios...his work with Paul Motion Trio with Bill Frisell, especially "Live at the Village Vanguard" is a desert island choice of mine. Beautiful intuitive work by this trio, covering a broad spectrum of moods and colors makes for a treat for my ears.

Just a few of my own thoughts here.....anyone like to but a beret cheap as I have a couple to sell?

One Lovano side that has yet to be mentioned on here but deserves a listen is his first Blue Note recording called "Universal Language". This recording not only re-introduced me to Tim Hagans adventurous playing, it also showcased some nice writing by Joe.

Well, I agree it's a very fine record, but it was at least his third on Blue Note. "Landmarks" and "From the Soul" came before this one. Every Lovano Cd has moments and I enjoy some more than others , but if I had to choose just one it would probably be "Trio Fascination Volume 1."

I think Joe is really a model jazz musician for our times - rooted in the jazz traditions (his Cleveland days and his big band experience saw to that - plus he really added to bands like Herman and Lews that he played with), but also willing to take a forward look and push the envelope a bit. Joe is the kind of musician that really challenges me as a listener, but he never goes so far out that I say, "Gee, he's lost me, I can't go there."

I saw him live with a trio several years ago (Dennis Irwin and Willie Jones 111). Joe played nothing but tenor for both sets of the show, and it was one of the two or three finest jazz performances I've ever had the prvilege of hearing/seeing. Stunning, actually. Joe's recordings, as good as they are, only hint at how awesome he can be in person. There was smoke coming out of that tenor, I kid you not.

He's a great guy, as well. After the show, I asked him to autograph my "Rush Hour" Cd, and when my pen wouldn't work on the shiny CD insert, he didn't say, "Oh too band, sorry, maybe next time. " Rather HE tried looking around for a pen that would work, and we finally found one somewhere. He also spent a few moments speaking of his Woody Herman days and how he remembered a gig in that same city some 25 years ago with the 'Woodchopper."

Edited by John Tapscott

would Lovano's mouthpiece be a classical one? I remember in highschool a guy who was getting teaching experience in the music dept said Joe Henderson had used a classical mouthpiece.

Joe used an old Selmer hard rubber, the "short" one (they later lengthned the shank and screwed it all up).Think it was a D*, a little more open than what would be considered a "classical" setup, but still more closed than most modern jazz players use. Not sure, but I think he might also of had the bore opened up just a little bit for a more open low end.

As for Lovano, I think he's a fine player. I hear him as a cross between Joe & Dewey, although he continues to carve his own niche, little by little. Like Chuck, I don't connect with too much of his stuff. But I give the guy highest props - he's a helluva player, and he tells no lies. More than that, what can you reasonably expect and/or ask for?

Saw him a two springs ago not knowing much about him. Was the first date with my current gf. Went because Hank Jones was playing with him. Dug it- Jones still stole the show as expected but Lovano and the band made some sweet music together. The guy just played straight solid jazz music, something that's rare these days what with all the fusioning and the cross-over electifying mumbo-jumbo.

Saw them again at Newport last summer. :tup

I recall it being anounced from stage before and during said gig, may have been in the program too since I carefully mapped out which stage to be at when (it was on the secondary stage, which thankfully had shade unlike the main stage). My wife and I were the Mutt & Jeff couple with funny accents getting sunburned...