Cracking SACDs

Claude

As has been widely discussed, the Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon SACDs had problems with cracks appearing after some time (weeks, months) in the center of the disc. Responsible for this is the Crest National pressing plant.

My copy of DSOTM has a few cracks which appeared a month after I received it, but it seems that many more, and even much more recent titles are concerned. So the problem isn't solved yet. My copy of Bob Belden Black Dahlia also has 2 cracks (2 mm long). My Blue Train SACD is still ok (so I can safely get rid of it on ebay :))

So be warned, check your Crest-made SACDs regularly and keep the receipts.

Here is a thread from the Steve Hoffman forum discussing the topic in detail.

Edited by Claude

Guest GregM

I understand that Crest needs to be more liberal with the use of a sealant in some stage of the manufacturing process. It stinks, but the cracks in my DSotM and Blue Train are far too small to be prohibitive and I've played these discs many times with nothing bad to report but a tiny (1 mm squared) plastic flake sloughing off from the inner spindle hole of DSotM. I understand others have the cracks radiating into the data area. Maybe due to the presence of the puck covering the spindle hole area when discs are placed in the SCD-1, this hasn't been a problem for me. I do hope Crest gets it right for their next manufacturing run, and I bet they will.

For perspective, this puts tiny, barely visible cracks in the non-data area of 2 of the ~200 SACDs in my collection. Big deal.