dream sextet

nemo7

the topic is dream sextet

if you could have 6 (six) musicians of your choice play together (here or not here undead or not and totally musically unrelated) who would you like to hear to play together

the seventh (7) is for if they are not yet unavailable

that's all

(like mug bug)

Not fictional:

New Orleans Wanderers - George Mitchell, Kid Ory, Johnny Dodds. Joe Clark, Lil Armstrong & Johnny St Cyr. This was recorded on July 13, 1926 and is one of my all time favorites.

The next day the same band did 4 more titles for Columbia under the name of New Orleans Bootblacks.

Unfortunately the classic Oliver and Morton bands had 7 members so they don't qualify for your query.

I love the above mentioned material as much as ANYTHING in the history of this music.

Guest akanalog

tony williams and billy hart on drums, dave macrae on hohner e-piano, herbie on fender rhodes and clavinet, dr. patrick gleeson on synths and wayne shorter on tenor and soprano up front. seventh would be richard davis on bass and ebass. whoever couldn't make it to the gig would be done without unless it was shorter in which case people besides me might get bored.

I have Perdido Street Blues and Too Tight Blues on my ipod, taken from an anthology. Are the rest of these sides available on any CD issue?

Not fictional:

New Orleans Wanderers - George Mitchell, Kid Ory, Johnny Dodds. Joe Clark, Lil Armstrong & Johnny St Cyr.  This was recorded on July 13, 1926 and is one of my all time favorites.

The next day the same band did 4 more titles for Columbia under the name of New Orleans Bootblacks.

Unfortunately the classic Oliver and Morton bands had 7 members so they don't qualify for your query.

I love the above mentioned material as much as ANYTHING in the history of this music.

I could wax on about dream juggernauts all day, but wasn't there a real thread about this a while back?

In the hardbop vein, Moncur-McLean-Lee-Hutch-Cranshaw-Williams has to be one of my favorites, though if Higgins were to have subbed for Williams I wouldn't have complained one bit (might have preferred it, actually).

O'wise the Miles sextet would do nicely, if I could put Duke Jordan in the piano chair and A.T. in the drummer's seat.

Miles, Trane, Cannibal, Jordan, Chambers, Taylor!

:excited:

As for avant-garde, Cecil always seems to get pretty great sextets going - especially some of those early ones.

Here's another dream one (sort of): Cecil, Shepp, Lacy, Curson, Buell, Charles. That would be cool.

SEXTET #1----Yusef Lateef/John Gimore (reeds 'n'such), Marc Ribot/Bill Frisell (gtrs), Jim Black the New orleans drummer/Jim Black the New York drummer ( it'd be funny to have 2 drummers with the same name! And they sound(ed) good.)

SEXTET #2---------Wayne Horvitz/Bela Bartok(keys), Ray Nance (trpt), Joe Chambers/Jon Christiansen (drums), Ray Anderson (trbn)

SEXTET #3--------Brice Wassy/me (drms), Kenny Withrow/Ed McMahon (gtrs), Jaco Pastorious (bs), Don Byron (reeds)

SeXTET #4------ Robert Fripp/Bill Frisell (gtrs), Billy Higgins (drms), Johnny Hodges(alto), Joe Lovano (tenor), Thad Jones (trpt), Charlie Hayden (bs)

SEXTET #5------Keith Jarrett (pno), Buddy Rich (drms), Captain Beefhart (any thing he wants to), Harry Partch (what ever he brings in from the local dump), the soprano-du-jour from La Scala, Charles Mingus (bs)...........only cuz it'd be too funny to see this combo platter of prima donnas/hot-heads/freaks/and maniacs trying to make music and sense with each other! It'd be like walking up to the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem on the holiest of Sabbath days and blurting out, "Uhm, 'scuse me sir...is THIS the line for the Jew-punching contest?"

• 10 years later...

Not fictional:

New Orleans Wanderers - George Mitchell, Kid Ory, Johnny Dodds. Joe Clark, Lil Armstrong & Johnny St Cyr. This was recorded on July 13, 1926 and is one of my all time favorites.

So do I. Glorious music.

MI0002021298.jpg

one of my favourite sextets -- not fictious but fictitious :P

yes

But count them.

Lil Armstrong claimed she composed every note the New Orleans Wanderers / Bootblacks played. I might (or might not) believe that about "Perdido St. Blues" and George Mitchell's cornet solos but not about anything else they played. Johnny Dodds plays gloriously. Where can we hear more Joe Clark?