Need a rec on a very good guide-book for Paris

Flying tonight. I won't need a folio, but a compact guide-book for someone who's visiting Paris for 5 days only [my 5th or 6th trip, but haven't been since 1998, so my old guide-book is a bit obsolete]. I thought one of our jet-setting members would suggest a good one.

Also, the heads-up on music stores will be very much appreciated. I'll have the internet access there, so I'll be able to check your recs in vivo.

Au revoir!

129822_140.jpg

DK's Eyewitness guide served me very well indeed when I was in Paris for a week last year. Great visual guides, good info, and easily available at most bookstores.

I lived in Paris for several years; unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the great jazz music shop, but it's very well known. It's across from Jussieu (Metro station and also the name of the Universite de Paris VII) and directly south (cross the street from the south entrance) of the Arenes de Lutece. Which, by the way, is a nice place to have a sandwich midday and such.

Lots of vinyl, lots of used CDs. There's a separate shop next door for R&B/Rock/Blues etc. They also have a frequent buyer card which entitles you to a freebee after a relatively few number of purchases. I don't think the main cats there speak English, but I've seen them trying successfully to communicate with non-Francophones, and it appeared to work out very well.

There's also a good little shop with some jazz near the Pantheon, and a crazy little shop up in the 18th. I have no way of finding out the names of these places. But the FNAC and such also may have what you need, although not used and perhaps a tad pricy.

I lived in Paris for several years; unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the great jazz music shop, but it's very well known.  It's across from Jussieu (Metro station and also the name of the Universite de Paris VII) and directly south (cross the street from the south entrance) of the Arenes de Lutece.  Which, by the way, is a nice place to have a sandwich midday and such.

Lots of vinyl, lots of used CDs.  There's a separate shop next door for R&B/Rock/Blues etc.  They also have a frequent buyer card which entitles you to a freebee after a relatively few number of purchases.  I don't think the main cats there speak English, but I've seen them trying successfully to communicate with non-Francophones, and it appeared to work out very well.

There's also a good little shop with some jazz near the Pantheon, and a crazy little shop up in the 18th.  I have no way of finding out the names of these places.  But the FNAC and such also may have what you need, although not used and perhaps a tad pricy.

Don't know the one in the 18th, but j lee is absolutely right about the stores near the Pantheon. There's one called Jussieu Jazz which has a really interesting little selection (don't remember the address, but a Google search should bring it up), an especially great experimental section, if that's your thing. Otherwise, there's Paris Jazz Corner, which has a nice selection of both new and used stuff. And of course you can check FNAC (any, really) or the Virgin on the Champs-Elysees; both have a pretty excellent, broad jazz selection (along with all other kinds of music). They can be pricey no doubt, but they both also have a lot of sales, so it's worth looking for some stickers or sale sections. In fact, at Virgin today I picked up a Charles Tolliver Music Inc. "Live in Tokyo" on Strata East, Atomic "Feet Music" (great Swedish quintet), an Eddie Henderson Rare Groove, and one of the limited edition 3-disc Trojan sets (the RAS Reggae one), none of which was more than 14 euros (and that was just for the 3 disc set, the others were more like 10).

As far as the guidebook goes, the Lonely Planet is highly recommended, but maybe more than you really need for 5 days. That said, it has great maps, lots of good info and recommendations, and will get you just about everything you need.

One option is to wait to buy one until you get here - for that I would recommend going to the WH Smith store, an all English book store on the Rue de Rivoli right near Concorde across from the Jardin des Tuileries. They'll have just about any guidebook, magazine, newspaper, novel or other reading material you need, and all in English.

Enjoy Paris!

Dmitry, Paris record stores were discussed a couple of years ago. The thread is still valid!

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...1&st=&p=entry

When in town, give me a call. I have an excellent folder 'Paris Records Map' which has just been been published. It lists a lot of good stores and includes convenient maps. I'll drop a copy for you if you give me an adress when you reach the city.

Bon voyage!

Otherwise, there's Paris Jazz Corner, which has a nice selection of both new and used stuff.  And of course you can check FNAC (any, really) or the Virgin on the Champs-Elysees; both have a pretty excellent, broad jazz selection (along with all other kinds of music). 

On a side note, I've found some really wild stuff at FNACs occasionally -- the one near the Opera used to have some fairly obscure sound poetry, including Cramps Records's "Futura" box set of historical sound poems, just to give one example. Absolutely worth checking out some of their locations.

I'm glad there's a vocal French constituency here -- it's interesting to read some of your comments.

On a side note, I've found some really wild stuff at FNACs occasionally -- the one near the Opera used to have some fairly obscure sound poetry, including Cramps Records's "Futura" box set of historical sound poems, just to give one example.  Absolutely worth checking out some of their locations.

The jazz sections at the FNAC Montparnasse on the Rue de Rennes and at FNAC Ternes are the best ones with some interesting finds to be discovered if you search carefully.

The jazz section at the FNAC Opera has been downsized recently. Nearly nothing left of the poems bin. But they still have the New Age section along (same as at Virgin Champs-Elysees). A shame!

Edited by brownie

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we're back from our European excursion.

Due to signifcant help and guidance from our own M.Brownie I left Paris with 3 0r 4 pounds of cds and Lps, not to mention a moderate ding in a couple of my credit cards.

Used vinyl is priced about 30-40% higher than in NY stores, used cds are priced about the same.