Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier

'Twas a time when I could sit down at the piano and play both books straight through. Sadly, that time was long ago, but I'd like to "get there" again.

Never having been steered wrong by a recommendation here, and knowing there are some serious classical heads who post, what do you recommend?

I'm primarily interested in piano renderings of the work (setting aside the "proper" harpsichord/hammerklavier/piano debate for the time being!), but I'd like to know what recordings are considered "essential", something I will use largely for reference purposes re tempi and interpretation; if harpsichord is the "only" way to go, so be it...

Thanks in advance.

For a "faithful, straight" version (on piano) you can't go wrong with the Naxos recordings by Jando - 2 doubles available for little money. Gould has an equal number of advocates and enemies but I suggest you ignore these for now.

For a more "historic/romantic" view, the Edwin Fischer set is a delight. Not sure about the best transfers though.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I like the Sviatoslav Richter version, recorded live in his own Festival of La Grange du Meslay in Tours (France).

The playing is absolutely superb, very faithful to JSB writing with just the personal touch that makes this performance outstanding.

Only drawback is the sound quality, with too distant mikes...unless a newer mastering has made things better?

As a second choice, Jorg Demus version, neutral and classical, is also worthwhile.

Edited by michel devos

Dude, go straight to the source:

b000031x8301sclzzzzzzz2iv.jpgtureckbbcl411626ip.jpg

et sim.

There *is* no Wohltempierte Whtvr as we know it without Tureck. I also have the Hewitt and the Gould, and a few others, I think, but not the Naxos version(s) -- I may pick those up soon and perhaps report back as a fellow pianist.

My favourite so far is Pierre Hantai's 2001/02 recording on Ambroise/Mirare on a very clear and precise sounding harpsichord - a copy of an anonymous 1720 Thuringian instrument (you should have at least one recording on harpsichord) - he plays lively, with vigor and fluidity and takes no prisoners.

Some of you may disagree, but I find the sound of a harpsichord to be much more expressive for this music than today's neutral, over-esthetic sounding pianos. The music regains much of its temperament and power.

B00007F8W4.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think there's a typo in the thread title.

Isn't it 'The Well-tempoed Clavicle?" :P

Seriously, I love the Glenn Gould rendition, but I need to check out some of the other renditions here for perspective.

[moderator's comment: the thread title has been corrected]

Dude, go straight to the source: 

b000031x8301sclzzzzzzz2iv.jpgtureckbbcl411626ip.jpg

et sim. 

There *is* no Wohltempierte Whtvr as we know it without Tureck.  I also have the Hewitt and the Gould, and a few others, I think, but not the Naxos version(s) -- I may pick those up soon and perhaps report back as a fellow pianist.

Has Rosalyn Tureck recorded it twice during her long career???

BTW: She really was a great pianist and for many people she was Bach.

At least twice; the 1953 version was followed much later by the (outstanding) version recorded for/by BBC Radio (which comprises both books, not just the Bk 2 pictured above). There might be more recordings as well.

At least twice; the 1953 version was followed much later by the (outstanding) version recorded for/by BBC Radio (which comprises both books, not just the Bk 2 pictured above). There might be more recordings as well.

Which one is better???

I think there's a typo in the thread title.

Isn't it 'The Well-tempoed Clavicle?" :P

Seriously, I love the Glenn Gould rendition,

Me too, but I dearly wish that someone had applied a piece of duct-tape to his mouth.

As David Brent would say, "Oooh, kinky!"

Edited by Kalo

Mieczyslaw Horszowski did a great performance of Book 1 that came out on Vanguard back in the early 80's I think he was close to 90 when he recorded it. Apparently he played it all from memory - pretty amazing feat.

<edit>

Here's a little info on him

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...sql=41:30335~T1

Edited by Chalupa

• 5 years later...

B. I have to disagree. Fischer simply doesn't have the chops to play most of that music well. His garbled fugues sounded 'best' in Seth Winner's transfer for Pearl but it's still a false grail of historical J.S. Bach playing.

Hewitt is OK for po' faced 'objective' piano but Mike Weil knows the score.

If you must have piano, SAMUEL FEINBERG is the man, along with Gould and Gulda.

Richter is a disappointment to me; if we didn't know who it was most wouldn't listen again. Afanassiev was a terrible disappointment too esp. since he was peak of weirdo powers then.

Listen: Ralph Kirkpatrick, Blandine Verlet, Davitt Moroney, Masaaki Suzuki, Pierre Hantai, Robert Hill.

I have recently listened to Edwin Fischer. His recording can also be counted among the best ot the Well-Tempered Clavier.

• 1 year later...