Wes and Grant

BLP 1577

In 1965 or 66 Grant Green left Blue Note and signed with Verve and did his one album with them. I was speaking recently with someone who read that in that same year Grant and Wes teamed up and did an album together. I have been searching high and low to see if there is any truth to this, but I have not found anything. Does anyone here know anything about this? Of course this session never made it past the valuts.

I do believe my friend's story. He knows just about everything about these 2 guitarists.

Edited by BLP 1577

• 6 years later...

Bruyninckx lists two unissued Grant Green sessions for Verve, but no personnel. Maybe someone reading this has the Ruppli Verve discography at hand?

The Ruppli also lists 2 unissued Grant Green sessions for Verve with unknown personnel. Five tracks were recorded at the first session and nine at the second. Both sessions took place in NYC and the dates are August 5 and September 1, 1965.

I found this old thread. Anyone have anymore info on the 2 unissued Grant Green sessions?

The Jazz Discography website lists the following two sessions (likely the ones that mikeweil mentioned several years ago). Perhaps it's one of these:

Grant Green and others

Grant Green (g) and others

NYC, August 5, 1965

65VK427 Iron City March Verve unissued

65VK428 Angel -

65VK429 Fat Judy -

65VK430 Samba De Orfeu -

65VK431 Chim Chim Cheree -

Grant Green and others

Grant Green (g) and others: same personnel

NYC, September 1, 1965

65VK458 Things Ain't What They Used To Be Verve unissued

65VK459 Moon Over All -

65VK460 I Can't Stop Loving You -

65VK461 High Heel Sneakers -

65VK462 Blues Train -

65VK463 Sunday, Monday Or Always -

65VK464 Fever -

65VK465 Dream -

65VK466 Uptown -

indeed - after rereading i'd say there's not sooo much evidence for iron city being the verve session... looks like it wasn't the case rather; bill heid said iron city was recorded in pittburgh which would exclude verve, but then heid also said it was patton on organ which is apparently wrong... chuck said verve would have recorded at rvg and there seems to be a consensus that this is not true for iron city... indeed two of the tunes coincide between the two sessions but then there are other tunes as well, which green recorded on several occasions, fat judy, go down moses... the presence of fat judy suggests patton but then it seems that green had similar tunes with patton dixon and with young jones (only example that comes to mind is i want to hold your hand which was only recorded by the second group... pretty sure there are more examples...)

one more thing: that they take photos before the sessions, of course. but does it make sense that they actually had the list of tunes together for the session before recording it? was production back then like that?

Edited by Niko