Books on the Second World War

TMM, I've enjoyed what little I've read so far of the Library of America's two journalism collections (REPORTING VIETNAM is also very good--we've discussed these volumes before, I think, maybe in PMs). Antony Beevor's STALINGRAD is a harrowing, well-detailed account of that city's siege and the slow destruction of the German army trapped there.

I'm sure you'll get a wealth of suggestions from some of the history buffs around here (we should revive Conn500's history thread at some point). Not a book, but the DVD set of THE WORLD AT WAR is tremendous, highly recommended.

I'm an avid reader of history, especially World War II.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Particulary looking for the thicker, discouraging tomes.  Dry and academic is okay, but I'll try anything.  Military, political, ecomonic, social histories all good.

Don't you think it would be better to look for books focusing on different aspects of WWII? There are books dealing with individual battles, or soldiers, or political decisions. Bookstores have shelves and shelves of stuff on WWII. It's a broad subject.

I like Carlo D'este's books on WWII. David Irving's "The War Between the Generals" can be quite entertaining.

There's a ton of books on the naval battles as well.

TMM, I've enjoyed what little I've read so far of the Library of America's two journalism collections (REPORTING VIETNAM is also very good--we've discussed these volumes before, I think, maybe in PMs).  Antony Beevor's STALINGRAD is a harrowing, well-detailed account of that city's siege and the slow destruction of the German army trapped there. 

I'm sure you'll get a wealth of suggestions from some of the history buffs around here (we should revive Conn500's history thread at some point).  Not a book, but the DVD set of THE WORLD AT WAR is tremendous, highly recommended.

Yes, I give a big thumbs up to THE WORLD AT WAR series as well.

You know, Ghost, I couldn't finish a book on Ernie Pyle's WWII journalism, which was highly regarded at the time. I dunno. I guess I don't care for war journalism.

You know, Ghost, I couldn't finish a book on Ernie Pyle's WWII journalism, which was highly regarded at the time.  I dunno.  I guess I don't care for war journalism.

What?! Them's fightin' words around Bloomington, son! ;)

What I like about the LOA volumes (for both WWII and REPORTING VIETNAM) is the varied perspective and the contemporary "history-in-the-making" feel. Obviously this makes for some limitations as well; I'm just thinking that if TMM wants a big, general overview, that might be a good way to go. You know, when it comes to WW1 I can recommend John Keegan's book, but I'm not sure I've ever even read a similar, comprehensive text about WWII. Obviously they must exist by the bushel, but I've ended up reading more specific treatments (life on the homefront, Stalingrad, etc.).

Although I've tended to avoid Ambrose, I'm tempted to give his CITIZEN SOLDIER a go at some point.

I avoid Ambrose as well, although I have Undaunted Courage on my shelves, a gift.

I'll second Paul's suggestion; try books that focus on one aspect (although I'm not into 'by the battle' stuff at all) rather than the entire war; you'll get a lot more depth that way. My most recent WWII book is Roosevelt's Secret War by Joseph E. Persico. My WWII shelf is darned thin, however; in spite of my having served, I'm just not that into military history. Plus, I tend to focus on the period between the two World Wars rather than the war years.

Ghost, we did indeed talk about the LOA books, both fascinating. I'll check out that Stalingrad, although that's a helluva depressing battle even to read about. Talk about a study in futility.

Conn, while I'm partial to the macro perspective (Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, The Rising Sun, etc.), I've read a number of books on particular campaigns. Sixty Days That Shook The West, I believe it's called, was the first authoritative book on the '40 Western campaign. Ten Days To Destiny, about the invasion of Crete, was also stellar. You ever read Irving's Hitler's War? I know he gets a lot of shit for being a revisionist, but he's a good writer. Samuel Elliot Morrison, if I'm not mistaken wrote the official history of the U.S. Navy in WWII.

Jazzmoose, when and where did you serve? You ever read anything on the Weimar Republic?

For the die hard, I strongly recommend (if you can find them) any of the official British histories on the war. They did a series on the Far East, Europe, Grand Strategy, and a few others. Exhaustive, but worth it. Anyone seen Capra's Why We Fight series?

Hard to say too much unless you state a preference for a particular theater or battles (Glantz & House 'Battle of Kursk' is good). A good all 'round WWII book is 'Total War' by Peter Calvocoressi and Guy Wint. About 1,000 pages......covers action on all fronts & is chock full of solid info. I think it went oop in the mid-80s....not hard to find though. IMO the best of the lot in the 'big canvas' category.

Jazzmoose, when and where did you serve?  You ever read anything on the Weimar Republic?

'78 to '82 in the Nav; homeported in Yokusuka, Japan most of the time. Totally peacetime. Closest I ever came to action was when we swarmed the beach at Diego Garcia after three months in the Indian Ocean... :lol:

No, I haven't read anything on the Weimar Republic. I guess I'm pretty provincial; most of my reading has been on U.S. history. Or else African.

Of course, any recommendation is dependent on your particular interests. Myself, I'm pretty much dialed in to the European Theater, and I have a particular fascination with Hitler. That's not to say I haven't read my share of books on the war with Japan. Sitting on my "to read" stack right now is one called "Japan's Longest Day", a product of the Pacific War Research Society. This deals with the little known story of a potential coup d'etat that was undertaken during the last days of the war by a group of fanatical, young Japanese militarists.

I can personally recommend the following:

Anthony Beevor: "Stalingrad" or "The Fall of Berlin 1945".

Max Hastings: "Bomber Command" or "Armageddon".

And, if you want to plumb the depths of Adolph Hitler, then try Ron Rosenbaum's "Explaining Hitler." A bit on the academic, "tomey" side, but a fascinating study nonetheless.

If you're just starting to scratch the surface of this period in history, you can't go wrong with anything from William L. Shirer or Gordon W. Prange. And, for an insider's look at the rise and fall of Nazi Germany, Albert Speer's "Inside the Third Reich" is indespensible.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend something on the history of the 1945 campaign for Okinawa. There are many books written from the American perspective, but I'd also suggest getting something from the perspective of the Japanese. If these don't just about curl your hair, I don't know what will.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Anyone seen Capra's Why We Fight series?

Caught the 'Why We Fight' series a few years ago. Thought it was effective as wartime propaganda. Which is why it was produced. You can watch the series if you keep this in mind!

Much better was the 'World at War' series. The best WWII overview I have seen so far! Carefully researched and impeccably documented!

On WW2 Martin Gilbert Second World War, a day by day chronological account is very powerful.

Max Hastings Armageddon

Antony Beevor- Stalingrad and The Fall Of Berlin

John Dowes- War Without Mercy on the Pacific theatre.

On Vietnam - two masterly books that Bush obviously hasn't read.

Neil Sheehan -A Bright Shining Lie

David Halberstam -The Best And The Brightest

Max Hastings -Korean war and Battle For The Falklands.

Now this is a fantastic book. Van Creveld analyzed performance under various scenarios in which one side had the advantage in airpower....or in armor, infantry, terrain, etc.. Well written, precise, interesting conclusions. It was oop for ages and then Greenwood Press kicked in again with a limited run. It ain't cheap. If you find more than one in the $50 range, let me know 'cause I'm looking for a replacement copy. :)

On Vietnam - two masterly books that Bush obviously hasn't read.

Neil Sheehan -A Bright Shining Lie

Oh yeah, I remember that book. Dubya probably never read it because anti-communism is presented as simplistic. Nowhere is there even a hint that there is any possible reason why folks shouldn't desire to be ruled by communists. A swell Ho Chi Minh good/U.S. bad classic!!!!!!! :party:

A trio of books by Barrie Pitt on the Desert War (originally two volumes in hardback then split into three volumes in paperback) called "The Crucible of War".

These are by far and away the best histories of the North Africa Campaign. I just wish someone had written a good detailed history of the Italian Campaign, or at least I have never come across one.

Best memoirs are Manstein's "Lost Battles" Forget who he was fighting for, this guy was head and shoulders above every other general in WW2. His fire brigade in 1943/44 was a masterpiece oif defensive aggression.

If you want a novel about wartime Europe go for one of the Alan Furst novels. They are all excellent but "The Polish Officer" will take some beating for excitement and atmosphere.