Greatest John Coltrane solos

Guy Berger

• 16 years later...
On 6/28/2005 at 8:44 PM, Guy Berger said:

A few years ago a dude on the Coltrane list posted his favorite solos. I haven't heard all of these, and haven't heard some of them enough to know whether they are favorites, but I thought I'd post the list to get a discussion going. What are your favorites? Personally I'd add "Straight No Chaser" (from Milestones), "Blue in Green" (from youknowwhat), "Someday My Prince Will Come", "Ole" (not a nut about this album, but Coltrane's solo near the end is one of my favorites), the studio "Acknowledgment", "I Want to Talk About You" (from Live at Birdland), and "Serenity" (from First Meditations).

Also, #41 and #43 on the list (as well as the honorable mention at the end) are truly phenomenal -- can't wait to hear the cleaned up versions on the upcoming Half Note release.

What LP or CD is #9 on

10 hours ago, mrjazzman said:

What LP or CD is #9 on

From Losin

April 2, 1959 (9 items; TT = 25:55)
CBS-TV Studio 61, New York NY
CBS-TV broadcast (B)

Show chatter

Miles Davis (tpt, flh); John Coltrane (ts, as); Wynton Kelly (p); Paul Chambers (b); Jimmy Cobb (d); Ernie Royal (tpt); Clyde Reisinger (tpt); Louis Mucci (tpt); Johnny Coles (tpt); Emmett Berry (tpt); Frank Rehak (tb); Jimmy Cleveland (tb); Bill Elton (tb); Rod Levitt (valve tb); Julius Watkins (frh); Robert Northern (frh); Bill Barber (tuba); Romeo Penque (cl, fl); Eddie Caine (cl, fl); Danny Bank (bcl); Gil Evans (arr, cond); Robert Herridge (ann)

1 So What (M. Davis) 10:29
2 Introduction (Robert Herridge) 0:27
3 The Duke (D. Brubeck) 3:29
4 Blues for Pablo (G. Evans) 5:46
5 New Rhumba (A. Jamal) 4:27
6 Announcement (Robert Herridge) 0:17
7 So What (reprise) (M. Davis) 0:34
8 So What (reprise) (M. Davis) 0:16
9 Orchestral fragment 0:10

1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

Three little words, with Milt Jackson. Invigorating 

Haven't listened to that one in a while...Hank jones' comp is REALLY interesting, he's suggesting changes that nobody wants to follow (at least they don't....although Trane is listening, as he always did)) but it's ok, they don't clash or anything, but then in his solo...even HE doesn't fully call them out :g, but, whoa, that's some top-shelf humanity right there!