Why I Stay Pissed

JSngry

Ok, so I'm driving to work last night, running a few minutes behind, and the first thing I hear on KNTU is the DJ saying, "We had a request for Ornette Coleman, but we don't have any of their records. Sorry about that. But here's one from Joe Lovano!"

:rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Jim, whose fault is that?

A The station for not having it?

B The labels for not giving it to them?

C The listeners for never requesting it before?

My guess is B, I don't think the labels care enough about jazz (ie not enough money in it) to bother promoting it. And the "jazz" they do promote SUCKS. This a corollary to my "Jazz doesn't sell because it's not for sale" ramblings.

I've heard Ornette on KNTU before. Not recently, though.

Ever since the Lab Band program started exerting "influence" over the programming, that station's gotten really weird about some things. The programming definitely has taken on a flavor of "sanctioned", if you know what I mean. Didn't used to be that way. And I've been listening for 30+ years, give or take a few spent out of town.

Keep in mind also that this is a station that was given the first Quartet Out CD several times, and that Quartet Out is a band that has three NT alumni in it. We never got as much as a single airing. Word "throught the grapevine" is that the programming director thought that the music didn't "reflect well" on the NT "jazz education" program.

So, do you think that with the new "sanctioned" programming philosophy, they actually got rid of all Ornette albums, or was the kid lying to cover up the fact that he's no longer on the "approved" list?

So, do you think that with the new "sanctioned" programming philosophy, they actually got rid of all Ornette albums, or was the kid lying to cover up the fact that he's no longer on the "approved" list?

I wouldn't even begin to speculate. Hell, he called Ornette "their", so far all I know, they still have the sides, but he was looking under "O"! :g

Think I'll give'em a call and find out...

Ever since the Lab Band program started exerting "influence" over the programming,

Boy is THAT the truth. Seems like every other song they play is by the Lab Band. Nothing wrong with that in itself; the station is, of course, a function of the University. I just wish the radio station would drop its jargon about having the Best in Jazz for DFW (“Best” only by default, they’re pretty much the ONLY jazz station in DFW. Which reminds me: hey JSngry, are you able to pick up KTCU? It’s the TCU station, and for a couple of hours each day, they play some fantastic (IMHO, anyway) jazz.).

I e-mailed the program director, asking if they really didn’t have any Ornette, or was it just a spur-of-the-moment decision by the DJ who maybe didn’t want to play any Ornette? Heck, I even offered to donate an Atlantic Ornette box. We’ll see what they have to say (if anything).... <_<

Ok, this is rich...

I just spoke with the Music Director at KNTU, and he told me that, yes, they do have 6 Ornette CDs, and that they used to have more before he took them out. Why did he take them out? Because "students don't always make the best programming decisions". What does that mean? Apparently that "we aim to targetr the classic/mainstream market, and Ornette Coleman is neither." Seems that "only a few people like avant-garde jazz, and they don't listen to our station." Yeah, people like the student population who you have to remove the albums from to keep them from playing them...

I was in the middle of politely (promise!) telling him that I know lots of people who like Atlantic-era Ornette, even people who don't like "avant-garde" jazz in general, and that his reasoning sounded like somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy, when I heard a click. The motherfucker hung up on me! Wait until the next pledge drive!

"Jazz Education" my MOTHERFUCKING ass!

The sentiment of the thread title just intensified.

Seems like KNTU is going the same way as my KUT here in Austin, as is everything in America right now. Conservative, boring, non-inclusive, ect.

That's a drag Jim, especially the hanging up on you (that's really inexcusable, and I'd contact some higher-ups on that). But, I can't say I'm surprised given the climate we live in these days. :tdown

I was in the middle of politely (promise!) telling him that I know lots of people who like Atlantic-era Ornette, even people who don't like "avant-garde" jazz in general,

No kidding to that, either. "Ramblin'"? "Peace"? "Lonely Woman"?

For God's sake, even Wynton and the LCJO did a program of Ornette music about a year ago or so.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the radio industry has a disdain for the "jazz lovers" and/or "purists." They will pander a great deal to an audience that "likes" jazz, but that doesn't have a love for, or a loyalty to, the music itself. I think that they ignore their base at great peril--unless their goal is simply to eliminate jazz radio.

At my station, we thankfully still have complete creative control over what we play. I do not interpret that power as a license to jam "difficult" jazz down a listener's ear canals at 4 in the afternoon, and I do play artists sometimes that I might not be so wild about myself, but that I believe a certain part of our audience--the "jazz likers"--enjoys. (Diana Krall, for one example, though I did like her last two CDs.) But I've certainly played Ornette's Atlantic material in the afternoon... you just go for creating an enjoying, interesting weave of music that hopefully both entertains and intrigues, that doesn't yank people out of their comfort zone, but that also suggests something outside of that comfort zone. Don't bludgeon 'em--seduce 'em, I say. And Ornette's Atlantic period is one of the most accessible introductions to "avant-garde" jazz (45 years old at this point!) that I can think of.

And Ornette's Atlantic period is one of the most accessible introductions to "avant-garde" jazz (45 years old at this point!) that I can think of.

That's what I was about to write.

Ornette at Lincoln Center (that's where I heard him a few years ago) and day long birthday festivals on WKCR.

But he doesn't get played on the radio in Texas. :huh:

What's funny to me is.... In my experience recently, the most appealing form of jazz to college kids IS avant guarde!!!! Bring Tom Harrell down to Austin and they got a decent crowd in the small jazz club here. Bring Ken Vandermark and it's packed down at the big rock venue!!!!

KNTU's program director's position on Ornette, an international treasure who happens to hail from Denton's georaphic neighbor - Ft. Worth, indicates that KNTU has forfeit any claim that it is a jazz radio station.

KRTU link in San Antonio plays Ornette's music frequently. This week, KRTU is featuring Andrew Hill as the 2-hour lunch feature. Last week, the lunch feature was Eric Dolphy. On my show tonight, I will be featuring Air (including a cut from Mr. Nessa's Air Time). For every person frightened away by these choices, another will be exposed to something new, beautiful and different.

After all, what is the point of having a jazz radio station if not to appreciate the whole jazz tradition. Ornette and Paul Desmond, Monk and Duke, Lee Morgan and Don Cherry, Pee Wee Russell and Jimmy Giuffre, Stan Getz and Lucky Thompson!!!

Edited by charlesp