a little game

It looks just like Newton's rings from a lens in contact with a plane glass surface. The distance between fringes gives a measure of the precsion of the lens being tested. I'd go in to a little more detail, but I'm really busy right now! (In fact, I'm so busy I half-botched this the first time I posted, hence the edit!)

Edit 2: Okay, as I have a second here and there I may add a bit to this post I said above that Newton's rings are often used for examining the quality of a lens. Another application is examining the quality of a thin film. If you have a lens of known precision (say, one wavelength of red light, which is very realistic for a quality lens), then the rings can reveal imperfections in the smoothness of the thin film.

Another edit: It also looks like the diffraction pattern you get if you carefully aim a high-quality laser at a metal sphere, so that the laser beam is perfectly perpendicular to the surface of the sphere. It is very tricky to get this exactly right! I did this demonstration for a class I taught a year ago. In the morning section it worked perfectly. I spent less than 15 seconds adjusting the laser to get the diffraction pattern. In the mid-day section I struggled with it for over five minutes before giving up. I don't think the mid-day students ever believed that it should really work! It is really strange the first time you see it, as normally you only get the center fringe and then it appears that the laser light is going directly through the metal sphere.

Edited by J Larsen

I think it's an optical illusion. The circles are consentric but they appear to produce a square shape. Maybe. It's a guess.

Edit: Upon resizing the picture the square shape vanishes. It's a result of the compression. Boo me.

Here's a picture of the diffraction of a laser around a metal sphere. The effect is MUCH more impressive when you see it in person, as it then appears that the light goes right through the sphere. This is actually a pretty lousy photo. I'll replace it with a better one if I can find one.

poisson.jpg

Well, they do use the Newton's rings phenomenon at Kodak to ensure the quality of photographic film, and at all lens factories to ensure lens precision, but I guess you have something else in mind. Do you use that thing for light metering or contrast adjustment?

it has nothing to do with a camera lens...other than it is anti-lens...

it is a Zone Plate. used in leu of a camera lens, the circles are alternating opaque non-opaque redering the subject very soft focused.

(from the web):

Signals.jpg

i'm a pinhole camera photographer (aspiring pro) and i'm experimenting with zone plates. the avatar is a huge blow-up, in real life they are very small. average aperture is about f/100.

so, J Larsen wins the prize (if you wanna call it a prize)! i'm getting back my first set of pix taken with my homemade zone plate camera...J Larsen will win a print or three.

PM sent

I like to thank all the little posters who helped me along the way in winning this prize.

jacman, do you have any pictures of your pinhole camera that you can post? I had my students make their own in a class I taught a couple years ago. They seemed to get a kick out of it.

here's a Santa Barbra Lensless Camera. i have 3, 4x5s (varying focal lengths) and a 5x7.

62ebb555755eec4802806695debf986e1-resized180.jpg

i also have a super wide angle pinhole (4X5). sorry no pic.

my zoneplate camera is an old cheap Russian made "Lubitel TLR". i removed the shutter and lens, mounted the zoneplate on a piece of shim stock in which i punched a small hole, and mounted that into the shutter mount. took about 10 minutes time.

• 7 months later...