James Carter Organ Trio

Soul Stream

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to hear this, and I like it more than Mike. The opening ballad is frakin' gorgeous, and Carter shows real discipline and maturity in the deployment of his "tricks", using them to enhance the ballad mood rather than trample it. Don't know that that would have been the case a few years ago.

"Akong Came Betty" got me to thinkng that perhaps Carter is evolving into, not the Illinois Jacquet of his day, but the one-horn-at-a-time Roland Kirk. His playing on this is just totally off the hook, sure, and it could be called "gimmicky". But in spite of all that, there's a real musicality at its base, and like Kirk in his day, whether you hear the music first or the gimmickry is going to vary from person to person.

The rest of the album kinda rambles, but there's plenty of good moments within the rambling, I think. I dig Ulmer quite a bit, both instrumentally and vocally, so the "Red Rooster" thing was no problem for me. The bari stuff w/Bluiett could've benefited from some self-editing, but this is a live set, after all, and I bet the vibe was good in the room while it was happening.

As for "I Believe...", hey, why not? Organ jazz and "neighborhood favorites" go together like han and eggs.

All told, I'd give this album a solid 3.5 stars. Tighter production choices could've made this a better, tighter presentation, but that's true of a lot of albums of the last 25 or so years, truthfully. Far from "essential", but enough pleasure to be had from beginning to end to make it enjoyable overall. Carter is maturing, and this groups sounds like it would be a gas to hear live in a neighborhood lounge, if there were such things any more.

Finally got to hear this, and I like it more than Mike. The opening ballad is frakin'  gorgeous, and Carter shows real discipline and maturity in the deployment of his "tricks", using them to enhance the ballad mood rather than trample it. Don't know that that would have been the case a few years ago.

"Akong Came Betty" got me to thinkng that perhaps Carter is evolving into, not the Illinois Jacquet of his day, but the one-horn-at-a-time Roland Kirk. His playing on this is just totally off the hook, sure, and it could be called "gimmicky". But in spite of all that, there's a real musicality at its base, and like Kirk in his day, whether you hear the music first or the gimmickry is going to vary from person to person.

The rest of the album kinda rambles, but there's plenty of good moments within the rambling, I think. I dig Ulmer quite a bit, both instrumentally and vocally, so the "Red Rooster" thing was no problem for me. The bari stuff w/Bluiett could've benefited from some self-editing, but this is a live set, after all, and I bet the vibe was good in the room while it was happening.

As for "I Believe...", hey, why not? Organ jazz and "neighborhood favorites" go together like han and eggs.

All told, I'd give this album a solid 3.5 stars. Tighter production choices could've made this a better, tighter presentation, but that's true of a lot of albums of the last 25 or so years, truthfully. Far from "essential", but enough pleasure to be had from beginning to end to make it enjoyable overall. Carter is maturing, and this groups sounds like it would be a gas to hear live in a neighborhood lounge, if there were such things any more.

I agree with you about Carter's "spirit," he's someone I've always rooted for. And I agree with you that the ballad on this album represents a lot of what is great about Carter--and I think he can be great. The richness of sound and, as you say, the obvious interplay of discipline and expressiveness here is really awesome.

But the Kirk comparison really seems to sell Kirk short, if you asked me. There was a genuineness to Kirk even in his wayward and patience trying moments that Carter's playing just doesn't bring across. Carter may be truly enjoying himself, but he doesn't give a damn whether we do.

I hope you're right about his continuing to mature. The guy has some serious chops, not just chops to impress but chops to just bowl you over in sound. But sometimes he just seems to have left any sense of his work as art behind--he just seems to want to win.

--eric

James Carter is bringing this band into Cambridge's Regattabar next month (August 5th & 6th) and I'm on the fence about going. I have seen Carter live several times now and I've got to say, he seems to go downhill every time I see him. The last time was his electric band and it didn't seem like Carter was "on" at all. He seemed to be on auto pilot and his showmanship was uncomfortably forced. I felt that the band wasn't digging it either.

I really miss his old band with pianist Craig Taborn, bassist Jaribu Shahid, and drummer Tani Tabbal. They put on show of shows at Ryles one year. I'll never forget it.

So should I take a chance or pass? This thread makes it seem like I'd be in for another let-down.

Kevin

So should I take a chance or pass? This thread makes it seem like I'd be in for another let-down.

I have not heard this recording yet, but I have heard broadcasts of live performances of this same group. What I heard sounded like it would be enjoyable to experience live.

• 1 month later...

Finally got to hear this, and I like it more than Mike. The opening ballad is frakin'  gorgeous, and Carter shows real discipline and maturity in the deployment of his "tricks", using them to enhance the ballad mood rather than trample it. Don't know that that would have been the case a few years ago.

jim, i think you nailed this one. not carter's best but still a good "live" outing. worth a listen for carter's circular breathing and the rest of his bag of tricks. carter is always FRESH!!! ;)

• 2 years later...

I really miss his old band with pianist Craig Taborn, bassist Jaribu Shahid, and drummer Tani Tabbal. They put on show of shows at Ryles one year. I'll never forget it.

Just listening to 'Jurassic Classics' for the first time. Carter I'm slightly lukewarm on. Taborn/Shahid/Tabbal, however, are totally incredible. Taborn is a true MF.

Carter has a new release scheduled for April--finally!

The new album will be a straightahead set with Carter playing flute, bass clarinet, soprano sax, tenor sax and baritone sax on with a host of top jazz players accompanying him in the band including Dwight Adams (trumpet & flugelhorn), D.D. Jackson (piano), Rodney Jones (guitar on three tracks), James Genus (bass) and Victor Lewis (drums). Covering original works by Carter through to classics by Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Django Reinhardt and Julius Hemphill among others this will be Carter’s most diverse set to date.

Releasing eleven albums to date on Columbia, Atlantic, Warner Brothers and his own Half Note label he has now signed a deal with Emarcy. Carter has already recorded the brand new set with legendary jazz producer Michael Cuscuna – acclaimed for his masterful reissue work and producing the likes of Dave Brubeck and the Art Ensemble of Chicago – the as yet untitled album will be released in April 2008.

source: emarcy news