Synth Rhodes, Wurly...

Soul Stream

I was thinking about getting a synth with as good as possible Rhodes, Wulitzer Electric Piano and Acoustic Piano sounds. Someone suggested a Nord Electro 2, but the price tag is prohibitive for me...

Anybody have any suggestions or shout outs for the Nord?

I have a Hammond XK2...is there any way to get a Nord 2 rack mount and midi it to my XK??? I have absolutely NO idea about this stuff since all I do is play a real B3 or occassionally turn on the XK2 and play as is.

Edited by Soul Stream

I have a Yamaha digital piano that I bought for about 1100 bucks that has the best piano sound (and action) I've ever experienced outside of a real piano. It has an electric piano sound that is pretty good too: you can switch between the Ray Charles Wurly sound and a sort of clean Rhodes sound.

Can't do an awful lot of altering to the sound in the machine itself, but you could patch it out to another effects unit.

Very happy with this machine for over a year now. . . takes care of my piano fix.

I've always been a Yamaha man, so I may be a bit biased here, but consider looking for a used Yamaha EX5r module. They can be had for about $500. The piano sound is decent. With a little tweaking, it's pretty damn good.

However, the electric piano sounds are fantastic. The Wurli can be clean or dirty and the tremelo is right on. The factory Rhodes sound leaves much to be desired, but the ex5 user group (www.ex5tech.com) has a bunch of free sounds, one of which is called the SkiRhodes (Ski is the guy who made it) which is really really good.

I have the Yamaha EX7 (which is the 61-key version of the module) and I use it with my r&b band for piano, electric piano, clavinet (it has great clavinet sounds, too), horn section sounds, strings, etc. I bought it off eBay back in 2001 for $400. :) You could look for one of those, too but the downside is that they are heavy. The rack module is much lighter and smaller and actually a bit more powerful in the synth department.

And finally, yes you should be able to use your XK-2 as a controller for the rack module. That's why a module would be your best bet, because you already have a keyboard to play it with.