? about Coltrane's 'Dusk Dawn'

trane_fanatic

Is the long version of 'Dusk Dawn' (10:49) on "Kula Se Mama" the same as the one on "Living Space"?

I had ordered both of them along with "Sun Ship" and they finally arrived in my mailbox today. Just noticed the track times.

I abhor duplicate songs on different albums and may return "Living Space" (still sealed) which appears to be outtakes and according to allmusic.com, the same time period.

Edited by trane_fanatic

First off, the "doubling" of the Trane Impulse! catalogue is enormous -- depending on what you own, the albums Impressions and Ascension are totally superfluous, and Kulu Se Mama almost superfluous. (This is the one that has the "Dusk Dawn" alternate, right? Everything else is available either on Transition or Major Works.)

Second, Living Space is worth picking up for two tracks: untitled track #4 and "Living Space". #4 is a mindblowing free tune that anticipates Sun Ship and First Meditations -- Trane plays a really unearthly, intense scream when he comes in for his closing solo, you gotta hear it. People that have heard this know what I'm talking about. "Living Space" is his last known studio recording with the soprano saxophone, and it's unusual because (A) it's not a waltz and (B) it contains saxophone overdubs which give the tune a really exotic, almost psychedelic vibe. There's an incredible saxophone cadenza at the end. I'm not a huge fan of "The Last Blues" or, for that matter, "Dusk Dawn".

Guy

I abhor duplicate songs on different albums and may return "Living Space" (still sealed) which appears to be outtakes and according to allmusic.com, the same time period.

If this is the way you really feel, you have no right to your "phony balony" screen name.

You are absolutely correct. I have no right to it. The blasphemy... I can't believe I also possess the temerity to live on a limited budget even though I have bought every other actual Impulse album of his.

Anyways, I kept "Living Space" and you're right, Guy. This is towards the end of the classic quartet's run and the way they "play" off of each other is beautiful.