Roman Schwaller

slide_advantage_redoux

Does anyone here have recordings of a Munich tenor player named Roman Schwaller? I was very impressed with ths guy's playing from the time I lived there 20 years ago. He is one of the more established "swing" stylists, probably in his mid to late 40s now. He hosted a weekly jam session at the now defunct "Allotria" club in Schabbing. That cat could blow!

He did a date - which I think/hope was recorded in the studio later - called "Three Generations of Tenors" teamed up with the front line of Sal Nistico and Johnny Griffin. :D This was sometime around 1986 or '87.

I have been looking for this for sometime now. If someone knows of its existence, please hip me to the details! Also. any current info on him would be nice......like, is he stilll alive and swinging!

Muchos Gracias!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Schwaller is swiss, but equally based in Munich and (now again) in Switzerland. He has several discs out on Joe Haider's JHM label: http://www.jhmrecords.ch/en/catalog/index2.php

I have the Nonet release "The Original Tunes" (and included a cut from a nonet live date on my BFT), and also the quartet disc "Some Changes in Life" which features Jimmy Cobb on drums.

Two very fine discs!

There is another quartet disc out, that I haven't heard, "Welcome Back from Outer Space", that has Mario Gonzi on drums, and the same pianist and bassist, Thomas Stabenow and Oliver Kent, respectively.

The "Three Generations" was out of stock when I ordered some JHM discs last time, and I haven't come around getting it yet.

JHM_3629.jpg

Listen to Love Someone You Like

Some Changes In Live:

JHM_3612_100.jpg

Welcome Back from Outer Space:

JHM_3605_100.jpg

Schwaller also leads his own bi-annual festival, "Generations," in his hometown, Frauenfeld. The festival includes workshops for young musicians, who can study with some seasoned pros, who again will perform (rehearsed!) as the "Generations Masters Band" (2002 included Brad Leali, Don Friedman, Adam Nussbaum, George Mraz...). Also every edition features a festival big band, including the "Masters" again, plus otehr musicians (2000 had Bill Holman leading, 2002 Matthias Rüegg, 2004 Ed Partyka).

Here's the website: http://www.generations.ch/

Also you may be aware that Schwaller was a longtime member of Matthias Rüegg's Vienna Art Orchestra, and can be heard, for instance, on their great (but OOP) hatOLOGY disc "The Minimalism or Erik Satie" (the hatOLOGY was a reissue of earlier issues, btw).

That's about what I know. Like him a lot!

Oh, and I wouldn't call him a "swing stylist" - he's thoroughly modern, although quite in the mainstream (he wasn't on those VAO records).

• 16 years later...
On 3.7.2005 at 2:49 AM, mikeweil said:

Heard him first in the VAO alongside Harry Sokal and was impressed by both. Had a nice quartet LP of his but sold it, can't remember details. Nothing to add to Ubu's comprehensive report.

I first heard him in march 1980, when he played - also together with Harry Sokal at an after concert session in a now defunct club "Jazz By Freddie", after Sonny Stitt played here in town. So it was advertised that after the regular concert in a concert hall Mr Stitt will come down to the club and play with Roman and Harry. 
Roman and Harry played fantastic stuff, but Mr. Stitt was very very juiced and after two mediumtempo blues in Bb he decided to sit down at the piano and "play and sing"..... so sad to say there was no more 3 tenors....., 

Yesterday I had the honour to jam with Roman Schwaller and two other name saxophonists. Such a great musician and a beautiful guy. Three tenors with p,b,dr. 

13 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I have these CDs with Roman Schwaller:

Three Generations of Tenor Saxophone - JHM 3611

Joe Haider Quintet - Magic Box - JHM 3601

Joe Haider - Bert Joris Anniversary Big Band '92 - JHM 3603 

Klaus Weiss - Salt Peanuts - Bell 84018 

Yeah, Three Generations of Tenor: Next time I´ll suggest "Bean and the Boys" which they played on that record, a tune I love. I love to improvise on the chords of "Lover come Back to Me".... A-flat  nice key...
Salt Peanuts......other than trio I only played it with Allen Praskin and a trumpet player who also studied at the conservatory where Praskin teached, others until now where reluctant to play it though it´s easy cheesy rhythm changes in F, I´ll ask Roman....

On 7/2/2005 at 7:22 AM, king ubu said:

Also you may be aware that Schwaller was a longtime member of Matthias Rüegg's Vienna Art Orchestra, and can be heard, for instance, on their great (but OOP) hatOLOGY disc "The Minimalism or Erik Satie" (the hatOLOGY was a reissue of earlier issues, btw).

This is how I know Schwaller. I need to spin that disc again—been far too long. I remember his tenor being a highlight.