Iyer with Fieldwork

ejp626

I just got this mini-review from DMG, and it certainly sounds promising. I didn't realize Iyer had a second project going, in addition to his work with Mahathappa (which I really like, particularly Reimagining).

Has anyone heard either this new disk or the previous one? Any thoughts or comparisons to his other CDs?

FIELDWORK [VIJAY IYER/STEVE LEHMAN/ELLIOT HUMBERTO KAVEE]  - Simulated Progress (Pi 16) Hailed as one of today's truly original and groundbreaking ensembles by publications as diverse as The Wire, Mojo, the San Francisco Chronicle, and the Village Voice, Fieldwork sets forth a dynamic, high-impact group sound that's unlike anything you've ever heard.  Simulated Progress, the band's second release, brings together three of creative music's most exciting young composer-performers - Vijay Iyer on piano, Steve Lehman on alto & sopranino saxophones, and Elliot Humberto Kavee on drums & percussion - who use the collaborative organizational model of a rock band to advance a unique vision of 21st century music.  Simulated Progress significantly ups the ante from the band's 2002 debut Your Life Flashes, in no small part due to the additional compositional contributions of Kavee and new saxophonist Steve Lehman alongside those of Iyer, and the sonic expertise of noted hip-hop & rock producer Scott Harding (aka Scotty Hard).  BLG's review next week, but why wait.

I heard the first disc that featured a different saxophonist. Engaging music, but there was a degree of "sameness" to the compositions. Have not listened to it in a while and should probably listen to it again before commenting further.

• 15 years later...

I'm enjoying the first Fieldwork album, YOUR LIFE FLASHES, today.  (I picked up all their albums over the past few years... finally getting around to them.)  I agree w/Ron's assessment that the music is fairly uncompromising in terms of intensity, i.e. you have to be in the mood for in-your-face tenor & pounding piano.  But if you're in the mood, you'll enjoy it!