Live jazz in Chicago

David,

That Reed show should be very good. I would agree with Free for All that the Green Mill is very cool.....although a little smokey for my taste!!! I saw the Deep Blue Trio there a week or so ago with Bobby Broom on guitar; killer show. Made this image on the way out!

m-

the Green Mill is very cool.....although a little smokey for my taste!!!

Oh it's more than a little smokey. :o After playing there I would go home and strip by the washing machine so as not to "infect" my clean clothes. But the general "vibe" of the place is a big plus. The owner Dave Jemilo is a Chicago guy through and through and treats the musicians very well. They do try to shush the often noisy crowds, but it's still usually a pretty noisy place, especially on weekends. Best to call the ballads early before it gets crankin'. For some reason the noise never bothered me (like it did in other clubs)- it added to the spirit and energy of the place.

the Green Mill is very cool.....although a little smokey for my taste!!!

Oh it's more than a little smokey. :o

I was being kind!!! :P I thought the same thing as I peeled my clothes off that night! I think you gotta get a booth, those chairs in front of the stage are unnnnnnnnnncomfortable!!!

m-

Thanks guys.

Taking/dragging my wife and possibly kids (17 and 20) with me so if it's "smokey", I'd better pass. Took her to the Vanguard years ago and everytime I mention the place, all she remembers is the smoke filled room.

Saw Eric Reed back in November with Bobby Hutcherson and was much more impressed than what I had heard on record by him. Should be cool.

Sorry dsgtrane, we kind of went off-topic with our Green Mill musings.

The Jazz Showcase is definitely (aka "definately") the best "family-type" hang. No smoke, fewer "characters".

Not too far from Jazz Record Mart as well. :crazy:  :alien:

Have fun!

Hey, if it were up to me I'd go with the "characters". Next trip perhaps.

Tell me more about the Jazz Record Mart. :excited:

Tell me more about the Jazz Record Mart.  :excited:

Where to begin? It will mess you up good. :g

New and used CDs and LPs. HUGE selection. Decent but not rock bottom prices.

Stuff you seldom see elsewhere.

I know I can find pretty much anything I want online these days, but I miss the browsing process- I used to spend a whole day there looking (with a lunch break).

It's the ultimate browsing experience.

With the whole family along it might not be a practical destination, unless you can get away for at least an hour or two. Send 'em to Giordano's- they're fairly slow. :g

I'm sure others will add their endorsements.

While the JRM has a lot to choose from, I think their everyday pricing is too high. The best bet for new is Dusty Groove (at least for me). Reasonable prices and many (usually) hard to find item. The selection is smaller but more good pickins'.

Mark

I have found some great things there that were officially OOP at the time, like McLean's Demon Dance and Bout Soul. But I don't like going in nearly as much now that they have moved into the smaller space. I rarely find anything I want in the used CD section (I know, just wait until the next estate sale). But the clerks are pretty knowledgable. They do have a very large selection of box sets, jazz DVDs and jazz VHS tapes. Pretty much one of everything in print, and you won't find that most places. If I am looking for a Delmark CD, I almost always buy it there (sort of like buying direct from Mosaic when possible).

While the Jazz Showcase and Jazz Record Mart (prices are way too high) are "sure things", don't be afraid to venture to the Hot House. I caught the Tomasz Stanko quartet there in March and it is still te best quartet show I have seen so far this year.

The place has a neat, bohemian, artsy vibe; although there is a little bit of smoke wafting through the air.

<_< LWayne

I agree with those who think JRM is often pricey, but I still think that anyone who is a fan of the music should not miss the opportunity to check it out at least once.

So much good stuff under one roof. I buy a lot online these days, but I love when I get the opportunity to browse in person.

I would also like to check out "da bastards" sometime, though. And Hot House. :g

I agree with those who think JRM is often pricey, but I still think that anyone who is a fan of the music should not miss the opportunity to check it out at least once.

So much good stuff under one roof. I buy a lot online these days, but I love when I get the opportunity to browse in person.

Can you imagine the cost of the inventory? Customers have to pay for this - it ain't free. OTOH, Dusty's inventory ain't as big as JRM's back room. I love DG, but they manage their inventory "with care".

Can you imagine the cost of the inventory? Customers have to pay for this - it ain't free. OTOH, Dusty's inventory ain't as big as JRM's back room. I love DG, but they manage their inventory "with care".

I understand- you're preachin' to the choir!

If there was a place like JRM here, I'd support it and pay a little extra to help with the overhead. I miss the fun of going through the inventory one at a time.

The only good indie store in KC has become extremely lame, so it's the internet for me. Convenient and cheaper, yes. Romantic and nostalgic, no.

Unless of course I have an excuse to go to Chicago!

Here is a suggestion for a perfect tuesday evening in chicago. Start with Jazz on the terrace at the museum of contemporary art. It does not get any family friendlier than tah and the schedule is quite hip imho, Have a few drinks at close by andy's and then head down to the new apartment lounge for von Freeman's set at 10.00. empty bottle and Hotti biscotti have Tuesday night sessions usually check the reader

http://www.chicagoreader.com/listings/static/jazz.html

Tuesdays on the Terrace

Tuesdays, June 7-September 27, 5:30 - 8 pm

Every Tuesday evening, from June 7 through September 27, visitors are invited to the MCA free of charge for Tuesdays on the Terrace, where they can enjoy live jazz music and outdoor dining catered by Wolfgang Puck on the MCA’s Anne and John Kern Terrace from 5:30 to 8 pm. Tuesdays on the Terrace will feature some of Chicago’s finest jazz musicians from the rosters of the most acclaimed Chicago-based jazz record labels. This summer, Puck's will offer picnic baskets and blankets to those who prefer to relax on the sculpture garden lawn. In case of rain, the event takes place in Puck's. This year special guest hosts join the performers, including Al Carter Bey, Jazz Rapp, Inc.; Marsha Noble, the The Jazz Pacemaker, JAZNU Show on WSSD 88.1FM; WDCB 90.9FM, Public Radio from College of DuPage; and Joe Germuska, WNUR 89.3 FM Chicago’s Sound Experiment.

July 5: Corey Wilkes Trio (host: WDCB)

July 12: Keefe Jackson Trio (host: Marsha Noble)

July 19: Fred Lonberg-Holm Valentine Trio (host: WDCB)

July 26: Dave Rempis Trio (host: Joe Germuska)

August 2: Keefe Jackson Trio (host: Marsha Noble)

August 9: Corey Wilkes Trio (host: WDCB)

August 16: Fred Lonberg-Holm Valentine Trio(host: WDCB)

August 23: Fred Anderson Trio (host: Al Carter Bey)

August 30: Dave Rempis Trio (host: Joe Germuska)

September 6: Jeff Parker Trio (host: WDCB)

September 13: Fred Anderson Trio (host: Al Carter Bey)

September 20: Nate Lepine Trio (host: Al Carter Bey)

September 27: Crosswind (host: Marsha Noble)

Edited by uli

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations. Ended up at the Jazz Showcase earlier this evening (despite Uli's tempting post) to see Eric Reed's trio who played a very nice set of standards, the highlight being "Well, You Needn't".

On Mon. nite I also managed to catch an excellent local act, the Ryan Cohan Trio at a restaurant in Evanston, where I am staying. Played a great cover of Randy Weston's "Little Niles".