Shopping for a new computer

OK. It's Greg's decision anyway. I think he got more info here than what he bargained for  :D

That's for sure. :lol:

Yes here at Organissimo you get red/blue, the Wynton debate AND Mac/Windows. If we get started on jewel case vs. digipak we'll have all the great contentious debates of our times under one roof.

--eric

I'm looking to upgrade to a faster computer. I'm checking out these Sonys on ebay, and the price seems too good to be true. Then I notice the "factory refurbished" disclaimer. Does anyone have any idea what that could mean? Would I be buying junk? They come with a 90 day warranty-I don't even have any idea if that is a good warranty or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5216387851&rd=1

Greg,

I would go for it. I've had refurbished stuff before and was happy with it. The 90-day guarantee should be enough to make sure stuff doesn't blow up in your face. Refurbished printers (which are basically renovated used printers, at least here in Germany) are a whole 'nother thing (and market). Often expensive parts might have run for a while already while cheaper ones were replaced. The life-span of the printer might be relatively short if you, after one year, suddenly have to dish out $150 for a core unit.

OK. It's Greg's decision anyway. I think he got more info here than what he bargained for  :D

That's for sure. :lol:

Yes here at Organissimo you get red/blue, the Wynton debate AND Mac/Windows. If we get started on jewel case vs. digipak we'll have all the great contentious debates of our times under one roof.

--eric

Bush vs. Kerry?

Stanley Crouch vs., err, everyone?

Schapp?

Digipacks are great but a pain in the rear end to shelve. They make everything tip over all the time. :beee:

Thanks for all the advice. Actually, my wife wants a Mac, and we were leaning towards getting one, but once she saw the amount of at-home computer work she will need to do for school, and with my computing needs related to work, the PC makes more sense. But we still wanted the best that we can get, which is why I'm checking out these nice Sonys (if it's a Sony it's gotta be good, right?) Sony actually sells these refurbs from their own site, so maybe it's not so risky.

I like digipaks-I just don't like it when they get scuffed like all of my Impulse! Coltranes!! I swear they get wrecked just sitting on my shelf!! :rmad:

I bought a "refurbished" Hewlett Packard printer from the HPShopping website a few years ago, because it was very significantly discounted in price from the same model that was sold as new. The printer that I received was indeed brand new (perhaps overstock from a store?) and is still working perfectly.

FWIW, my wife must use a Mac of recent vintage at work (OSX). She much prefers the PCs that we've had at home. The very occasional glitches we had with Windows 98SE (3.1 had more before that) have been eliminated since the arrival of Windows XP. My wife's Mac at work too frequently locks up/freezes...