BFT 27 - DISC ONE DISCUSSION

JSngry

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in for some deep insights into Jim's collection here ....

the usual disclaimers appply.

Okay here I go - listened several times through both discs but my first impressions remained vital until this writing. Maybe they will change after reading others' guesses ......

EINS: How high the B3 .... Good spirits, though the first tenor's intonation bugs me some. But good spirits, as I said, throughout and all of them. Brother Jack McDuff with two horns would be my guess. Or is it the two horns of Quartet Out guesting with Organissimo?

I'm not that much a fan of fast playing like this, but this works fine for me. Good 'n' greazy.

ZWEI: This waters my mouth!!!! You could have sent at least the recipe along with the discs. No doubt about that singer, but never heard this.

DREI: Oye mi saxo cubano!!! Two of them!!! And the greatest rhythm section in Havana in the late 1950's to early 1960's. Have that one, the original cover is priceless and an inspiration for generations of double bass players ... One of the best descargas ever done.

VIER: A freebop jam session on Yardbird Suite. Is this from those Newport jam sessions on a series of Cobblestone LPs? That tenor sounds familiar, but I can't determine who it is. Trombonist sometimes has a smooth tone similar to Bennie Green, but no - this is not him. No - cannot securely name any of the soloists here. Is this the same guy playing tenor and soprano? Rahsaan? Probably not. Hmmm .....

FÜNF: That bit of applause at the beginning sounds like one of those big halls they used for the Jazz at the Philharmonic concerts. Strange alto. This guy has some chops problems, probably an older guy - the changes are too advanced for him. Pianist makes references to Bach's inventions but without real polyphonic playing. The bass and drums team is much better. Two retired guys they dug up for some concert. I dunno - as a producer I would have left that in the can.

SECHS: More JATP? Eldridge? This swings real hard, almost forced. But they have it together. Some old masters at work. Willie Smith? Now who was that Christian-style guitarist at JATP? Kessel? Too bad it fades out just as the drummer gets his solo.

SIEBEN: A jugful of dreams ........ NMCOT, but great in its own way. I bet this is a Chicago recording sessions with Cleveland Eaton sliding up and down the fingerboard ad nauseam, and Maurice White - or who was his partner with Ramsey Lewis on drums? Don't know whether I like that double time feeling during the corusses. But that tenor was one of the great ones.

ACHT: I should know that singer .... probably one of those I kick myself for not recognizing. Old horn masters too. Very nice, almost timeless - some daring stuff behind the singer.

NEUN: This is one of the things I probably heard on AFN's bandwagon radio show broadcast every Sunday morning - sounds too much like Basie to be anybody else. Lockjaw on tenor. Sonny Payne? This kind of thing defined a whole 'nother era of big band playing. Ebullient! So much positive power.

ZEHN: Can't remember the name of that tune ... or does it just use changes similar to those of "Sunny"? Is this a Varitone alto? I wouldn't buy this ... Stitt? Jim, this is an important part of the era you grew up in, isn't it?

ELF: Randy Weston's "Hi-Fly". The vibes is pretty much into Hamp, occasional grunts included.

Would like to know who this is.

ZWÖLF: One of the tunes Chick Corea wrote for Getz. Since Jim hates Getz clones and this is not Getz, some guy emulating Getz in a very peculiar way, like a player from an older generation trying to incorporate Getz. I hear some Gonsalves phrases ... Tynerish piano solo ... interesting.

DREIZEHN: I could listen to this man reciting for days!!!! His voice was so sexy ... no wonder women were standing in line waiting for entrance in his bedroom. He could have seduced me with this voice. And the celeste playing - nobody could sound this music box sound so bluesy .... Five hundred stars.

VIERZEHN: Someone should make a BT with R&B exclusively!!! I love this!!! Red Prysock or one of these master honkers! Amos Milburn?

FÜNFZEHN: Stan the man and his lovely wife little Miss Cott. It dawns on me I should have more of this couple's music in my collection ......

SECHZEHN: Mellow Jazz, for sure ..... wish they would hire jazz musicians to record real jazz jingles than just using existing CDs....

SIEBZEHN: Ooooooh ..... what a great closer!!!!!!!! Again, I should recognize that singer .... oh, honey, I will ..... this is timeless stuff.

Okay, I guess most everybody agrees that #5 was a parody, which is really out of line with my first reply. Clearly, something is not right with the saxophone player, but that is actually what I liked about it. Very unusual. Makes me feel like an idiot compared to other peoples' responses, but I'm actually curious to hear him play on other stuff. :P

Track 4 is not "Yardbird Suite", but now that you mention it, I do hear the similarity/derivation. Never noticed that before!

And on this same track, no positive IDs of the second saxophonist other than that provided by The Linker. Again - it's somebody who's familiar to may of you!

Now, for the drummer on #9, if my memory is serving me correctly, it's somebody who many of us Americans saw/heard quite regularly in the 70s & 80s, whether we realized it or not.

Everybody's noticed the bass playing on Track 7 (how could you NOT?  :g ), but what about the drumming? Any comments?

Hate to quote myself .... :cool:

SIEBEN: A jugful of dreams ........ NMCOT, but great in its own way. I bet this is a Chicago recording sessions with Cleveland Eaton sliding up and down the fingerboard ad nauseam, and Maurice White - or who was his partner with Ramsey Lewis on drums? Don't know whether I like that double time feeling during the corusses. But that tenor was one of the great ones.

Ah yes, my bad!

However appropriate your guess is (and it's a darn good one!), it is, however, incorrect! Morris the (big) Cat wants you to know that! :w:w:w

I suspect that Mike Weil will be the first to nail Track 3...  :w  :w  :w

link - at least that's an edition with the complete session plus some bonus material. (it's the lowest number in that series - scroll down the page)

Sorry brownie, this is definitely not a calypso!!!

Edited by mikeweil

Everybody's noticed the bass playing on Track 7 (how could you NOT?  :g ), but what about the drumming? Any comments?

Hate to quote myself .... :cool:

Ah yes, my bad!

However appropriate your guess is (and it's a darn good one!), it is, however, incorrect! Morris the (big) Cat wants you to know that! :w:w:w

So it's Morris Jennings? It's a way to play that song, and it probably would sound dull or at least static if he had stayed in the original feel.

p.s. I've looked it up - neither Cleveland nor White nor Jennings .... that bassist, the ubiquitous one, would have been my second choice and was my first thought - I just assumed he would have enough good taste not to overuse that lick ...... and that drummer - I don't know too much of his work of the time. Oh well .... there is a common ground between blindfold test guessing and playing poker ...

Edited by mikeweil

Let's talk about track one - George Benson was my pick as a possible guitarist on this track. I'm not absolutely positive that it's him, BUT I am positive that it's NOT Kenny Burrell.

The other things that are bothering me about this is that the Tenor doesn't sound like Red Holloway, Jimmy Forrest (can't really say about Harold Vick) and the drums don't sound like Joe Dukes.

I have the HHTM on "Something Slick" (Crash) and this isn't it.

Any pro or con on this?

yesterday i had a nice and relaxing evening listening to DISC I

T1:How High The Moon - dunno the players yet but i do know that i love their playing! organ,sax & guitar are a wonderful combination. what a lovely way to start your disc Jim

T2:Louis of course. dunno the name of Mr.Cheesecake

T3:i'm a salsero guy so this is a nice track. something from the FANIA All-Stars maybe?

T4:my first impression was Rollins but by the end of the track i lost that feeling. enjoyed the bass player a lot

T5:Gary Foster maybe? this is very enjoyable

T6:nice and reminds me something from the Ellington bands

T7:lovely tune and i don't remember the name. well, i think i'm familiar with song as i managed to hum some parts

T8:I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good As I Don't Know The Singer)

T9:i started to dance listening to this one. very very cool

T10:MY FAVORITE OF DISC I!!! :wub: Jones/Lewis maybe?? i gotta have this :)

T11:Hi-Fly on vibes. billions of thanks Jim :tup Walt Dickerson maybe?

T12:another lovely song and i enjoyed the piano and sax players

T13:i haven't decided yet if this is good or no...

T14:NMCOT

T15:yeah...organ & sax once again..this seems familiar to me but....

T16:dunno the singer

T17:For All We Know with a nice piano intro...dunno the singer once again...

anyway, as expected, you did a lovely disc Jim :tup

Marcus

Let's talk about track one - George Benson was my pick as a possible guitarist on this track.  I'm not absolutely positive that it's him, BUT I am positive that it's NOT Kenny Burrell.

Absolutely positively not Burrell, and although I already stated that I was also leaning toward Benson, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. Something about the way this guitarist phrases suggests to me that it's not Benson. There seems to be more similarity in that regard to Pat Martino, but I'm not yet prepared to say it's Pat, especially not knowing how old this recording is. I don't have much by either player in an organ setting (as much as I enjoy this kind of stuff, I don't actually own much). Still workin' on this...

Finally I've listened to the entire disc. An amazingly diverse selection while still hanging together nicely.

1. How High the Moon. With rare exception, I'm not a fan of electric instruments (should I duck for cover?). The fact that I didn't want to skip over this one says a lot in its favor.

2. Surely dumber songs have been written, but I can't think of any right now. For sure this is Pops. An abandoned ad campaign for Sara Lee?

3. No guesses here but I enjoyed this one. Made me want to dance. Most Mexican music is too brassy for me, so I was surprised. Then, duh!!! It's saxes, not brasses. Eager to learn who this is.

4. Nice segue. Rollins. Rough and raw but intriguing. Left me wanting to hear the rest of the material.

5. Gone With the Wind. Brubeck Quartet instrumentation, but this ain't them. Or, if it is, they're spoofing themselves.

6. Sounds like a JATP jam. Fun. Wish it hadn't been faded. Is that Les Paul on guitar?

7. Sounds like something everybody else will recognize instantly. I have no idea. This is not something I'd buy, but I'm enjoying it -- it suits a hot summer day well.

8. I Got It Bad. Fascinatingly awful ... and awfully fascinating. Far too much going on here - no restraint, no balance. everybody stepping on each other. At first I felt embarrassed listening, but by the end my ears were glued to this one. In intend to go back and see if I can make any sense out of this piece. Also want to hear those saxes again. I think I've heard the singer before but not often.

9. Everything's Coming Up Roses. It's got that irresistible Basie swing and a captivating tenor (Lockjaw?), but it's too orchestrated and "Las Vegas" for my liking.

10. For about 30 seconds I thought this was Jimmy Forrest. Now I don't know.

11. Cool vibes. Teddy Charles? Quite enjoyable.

12. Another short, pleasant piece. I probably own this and will kick myself when I find out what it is.

13. Moon Maiden. Had to listen extra carefully to recognize the Duke's voice. Interesting version but I find it rather hokey and could live without it.

14. Mountain Oysters. Some rollicking late 40s/early 50s R&B. I should be able to recognize the voice but can't.

15. Time After Time. Sounds like Stanley Turrentine, so I'm guessing it's Shirley Scott on organ. Nice rendering.

16. Beer ad. Goes with the cheesecake, I guess, although this one has better lyrics. Don't recognize the singer.

17. Apart from a handful of singers, I'm not much into vocal. To me this sounds like Betty Carter, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Nice accompaniment. I enjoyed this a whole lot more than I might have expected. I'll be listening again.

This was fun. Lots of surprises. And there's more . . . on to disc 2.

Many thanks for all the treats, Jim.

8.  I Got It Bad.  Fascinatingly awful ... and awfully fascinating.  Far too much going on here - no restraint, no balance. everybody stepping on each other.  At first I felt embarrassed listening, but by the end my ears were glued to this one. In intend to go back and see if I can make any sense out of this piece. Also want to hear those saxes again. I think I've heard the singer before but not often.

That's a beautiful reaction! I bought this record when I was like, 16 or 17, and that's exactly how it grabbed me the first time. Now, it's got a very special place in my heart and head.

But you've not heard the singer before unless you've heard ths album before. Trust me!