BFT 27 - DISC ONE DISCUSSION

JSngry

You would guess wrong!

BTW - if you want a copy of the discs, it can be arranged...

O.K...these guys must be giving me bad info...(the LP was "Something Slick", not "Crash" that is the CD version). Anyway, had to take a shot at that one because it seemed like such a no brainer not even hearing it... from the description. Anyway....don't want to put you through the paces Jim on getting me the disc. But, if you feel bored.... :g

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back for a little more ( sorry to be posting in bits and pieces but I'm doing a juggling act tonight) another possiblilty on trumpet for track 6 is Rex Stewart.

The rest of disc one is all enjoyable - several artists I think I'm about to recognize, but haven't yet. I'll listen more.

Edit to add -OOPS I forgot to turn the page over - I had more notes on the other side of the page.

Track 12 - I always get the titles for Windows and Dolphin Dance confused, but it's THAT one. Not sure who it is though.

13 is off the wall but fine.

14 - Obviously the title is Mountain Oysters. I think I know this so I'll cool it.

15 - Stanley T. and most likely Shirley Scott. The usual Stanley and alway a gas.

16 & 17 I have to listen again.

Edited by Harold_Z

Well, I've been waiting to post this for about 36 hours, but I was waiting for the green light. :)

DISC 1:

1. HHTM. Ah, taken from vinyl... I wonder if this is a sign of oop things to come (hope so). Very hard swinging (and intensely relaxing) stuff! I like the tightness of this, with the different unison line riffs (one reminiscent of “Four”). Nice touch. I’m not recognizing anybody yet, but the organ and guitar impress/appeal to me quite a bit (moreso than the tenor). The tenor has kind of a rough-edged tone... almost reminiscent of a bari at times, to my ear(s). I like the organist’s sound, and the guitarist has some definite chops- his lines are somewhat Martino-esque in that respect. Great opener to get the juices flowing!

2. Hmmm... I’ll probably be in the minority, but I’ve never heard this before. Sounds a lot like Pops, but then some people are good at mimicing (mimicking?) that voice. Oh well, it’s a lot of fun regardless of how clueless I am. Now I’m hungry for dessert, and I it’s almost dinner time.

3. Although not really my bag, this sounds kind of familiar... almost to the point of deja vu, in fact. Seems like somebody (Mr. Weil, perhaps?) included a very similar track in a previous test. I like this quite a bit, although I have to add that if it had gone on longer, I might have tired of it. But it didn’t, so no complaints. Sometimes a quick 2:20... get in, make your point, and get out... is a good thing. Nice bari sound on this. I don’t favor that instrument much in terms of my listening habits, but this player’s sound strikes me as more appealing than average to my ears.

4. Unmistakeable tenor sound and style, right from the first note. I haven’t explored as much of this master’s later (or shall I say “post-golden era”) period from whence this comes, so it’s not highly familiar to me. The personnel aren’t going to pop into my head without a lot of thinking (cheating ;)). Damn, I think perhaps Jim just recently may have posted something about this band, or maybe even this album. The Master schooling the pupil ( the other saxophonist) was one of the points he touched on, and I kinda sorta almost can hear that going on here... but that’s going out on a limb. Anyway, is that Bob Cranshaw on bass guitar?

5. GWTW. Never heard this before either, but it seems like maybe I should have. The sort of thing people would talk about... unless Jim has the only existing copy. ;) GREAT spontaneity on this... funny... the crowd responses almost sound like they were dubbed in later (seems kind of uneven). At any rate, I find this both interesting and mysterious. The “whoops”, the apparent tone problems near the beginning, the odd phrase which draws laughter (!) from the audience, the “sorry”... just a real oddball of a track. But fun(ny). With all the flaws (hmm... maybe intentional?)... it’s surprising that it survived onto wax... I couldn’t help but think of Brubeck a bit during the piano solo, and the instrumentation of this group being the same... but it’s not the DBQ... so... ???

6. I don’t recognize this, either. Variations on “The Man I Love”, that’s all I know for certain. This has a JATP jam sound to it... wow, quite an extended geetar solo. From the setting, I would have expected this would be Les Paul, but this player sounds... slightly hipper somehow, or maybe I haven’t listened to enough Les (and to be honest, I haven’t). I could throw out a few likely JATP names as candidates for the other spots, but since I really don’t know that scene very well, I’ll leave this to somebody else. Nice, though. I enjoyed it.

7. Cool... sweet AND soulful. Nice arrangement. Has what I think of as an “optimistic”, “open-minded” early 70’s kind of fusiony eclecticism. Somebody along the way probably told them they couldn’t mix together those particular elements that way... but it works pretty nicely (for me), and I have some fond memories of that period in music. Not familiar enough guess, though.

8. Pretty tasty. I don’t recognize anybody right off the bat. For me it kind of stumbles exiting the gate, but it picks up some momentum along the way. The singer has a nice controlled sound... but it’s unfamiliar. I prefer the tenor on the right (? I think) channel (not the one who plays first).

9. Now THAT is a kick in the ass!! Good thing I had my back turned. Unmistakeable band, at least in terms of who’s at the controls (and for me, the tenor soloist is unmistakeable). Sounds like early 60’s... ish. This tune isn’t in the band’s Roulette discography, so it must be from another label... and what label that might be is out of my mind’s reach, because I never really picked up much of their (or any big band’s) vinyl during my years as a hound. Took me until the CD era to decide to get more serious about listening to big bands. Anyway, it sounds like the 60’s to me... I remember hearing that tune on TV a lot as a kid. I want the whole damned LP now (on CD, of course :)).

10. The tune reminds me a bit of “Tanya”... but of course it’s not. To me, this too has a late 60’s / early 70’s vibe, in terms of the style and arrangement. I’m out of my league in terms of ID-ing this, but I like it.

11. HF... very short and sweet. Nice... but again I don’t think I’ve heard this particular version. I think I’ll come back to this one.

12. Yeah, a Chick tune for PC users... a tune I’m always growing more and more fond of (although I use a Mac). [Note to self: start working on a chord sheet already! I wanna play this tune!]. I like the drummer on this... reminds me of Max. Tasty playing by all concerned, including the Tyneresque piano. Another short and sweet one.

13. ... Is that Duke? with a celeste? Very elegant, very sophisticated... and very foreign (again). What can I say, I just haven’t collected much EKE.

14. First, a question: How did we get from THIS to the kind of crap that is now being labeled as “R & B”? Anyway, good stuff, and this one never crossed my path either (and as I said in RDK’s discussion thread, I still need to seek out more of this kind of stuff... I’m woikin’ on it, Ray :cool: ).

15. TAT (no, not Today’s Active Topics)... the original TAT, not to be confused with... well, you know. Cyndi Lauper, etc. Ordinarily, this is one standard ballad that I don’t particularly like to hear given the soul treatment (I guess I’ve heard a few too many bad attempts), but this one works for me. Mr. S.T. and Mrs. S.S., right? Impulse? When it comes to his kind of tenor playing, this is my guy, hands down.

16. A word from our sponsors? :g Can’t wait to hear the story behind this one. :)

17. Love the tune, but I’ll need time if I’m gonna love the singer (not to say it couldn’t happen, but it’s not love at first sound... for me at least).

Man, if disc 2 is half as much fun as disc 1, I’ll be 50% as happy by this time tomorrow as I think I am right now... wait... :unsure: Ah, never mind. Thanks for this excursion into the mind of a TW0-time (two-timing?) BFT regional championship finals frontrunner and all around good groove guru!

Oh, and thanks to you too, Mark, for legally forwarding the pass... or whatever it was you did. ;)

Mr. Sangrey went through his collection of rare tracks to compile this. Looks (and sounds too) like he went mostly through his vinyls. When I first heard this, I thought I would have no problem identifying the various selections but now that I have listened a few times to the compilation I have only a couple of certainties, the rest being speculations.

So here goes.

1- This has to be Jimmy Smith going to the moon. Very different from the version he recorded on his BN A Date. No idea who is flying along but thoroughly lively session.

But then I might have taken the wrong direction. After rehearing this, I'm not so sure it's Smith. Might be one of his followers...

2 - Never heard that tune from the Good Humor Man of jazz. A search through the discographies pointed to the unusual item. Glad Jim dug this song. Not sure I will return to this

3- what the hell!!! A calypso! There must be a reason for its inclusion. Beats me for the time being!

4- Newk and his traveling band! And a good one! I thought I would identify that one but it's another no no :( The trombone has to be Cliff Anderson but that soprano! Could that be Rufus Harley? This is an interesting track!

5- another mystery. The piano player has to be Brubeck. But the alto is not Desmond, unless he was playing for the crowd which obviously enjoys the proceedings

6 - The trumpet player gave it away and he is one of my new favorites. For years I dismissed him for his showoff technique but I have grown to now admire his brashness. And this is one of his best solo. The acid sounding alto player graced many records when I started getting interested in jazz. Love those players who manage to have everything fall into places and provide marvelous solos (that goes for the guitar player too!)...

From this album:

Man I Love

7 - Marvin Jug! Great combination. The A&R man who thought of it has to be congratulated but he also has to be blamed for letting the arranger overwork. The inclusion of strings complicated the design

Track 3

My Way

Not a favorite album but I can't recall any bad session from him!

8 - Another tenor player whose sound is unmistakable. Had not heard that album and this version in a long time. The singer is not being really missed but the alto player makes a rare appearance on record. I was lucky to hear him live with a group ,of new players opening for a club date by the Wayne Shorter quartet in the Village forty years ago. Really nice to get a good listen at this musician.

Is that his wife doing the vocal?

Track 4

Bad

9 - The Swinging Machine comes up roses. That's on a vinyl from when the Band was still in command! Lockjaw leads the way to show how a so-so tune can be the basis for a smash solo. A rare appearance on flugelhorn by Al Aarons (had to check, would not have recognized him on my own!) follows. Short and very effective. Another album I shall return to!

10- Sounded to me at first like the featured alto player was Oliver Nelson but could not find any recording of him playing that tune! Could this be Phil Woods?

Pretty effective. Liked this interpretation.

11- Nobody played the vibraphone like our man here. A very subdued appearance of another flying classic. I had forgotten about that session. Glad I was reminded of its existence!

Side A, track 4 from that album (could not find any better link):

http://www.gemm.com/ddc/search.pl?&a_refno=GML624514462

12 - The tenor player sounded offmike. Could that be Benny Golson? I'll probably be surprised when Jim posts the answers. Another good one!

13 - celesta and deep voice. This went over my head. There has to be a reason for its inclusion here. Will wait for an explanation...

14 - Heard that tune a long time ago. Second appearance from the tenor player. This was happy music. The music was reissued recently on an unmentionable label (the opening track)

Oysters

I like those oysters!

15 - The very distinctive tone of the sax player and the delicate fingering of the organ player had me check again this vinyl

Track 8

16 - another track that went past me. And fast...

17 - for all I know looked around to find out who the singer was. And failed. Liked that vocal-piano duo.

Thanks Jim for letting us have a peek into your collection. On to disc 2 now but that one looks even more trickier!

Edited by brownie

I´ve listened to disc 1 once. First of all, thanks again to Jim for such a nice compilation, varied and sometimes shocking. I´m afraid I don´t have time to do a proper track-by-track analysis now, but I´ll pick in with some comments/guesses on several tracks.

Track 13: Yep! This is the Maestro doing his celeste + vocals version of his own composition "Moon maiden". Funnily, this was recorded on my birthday, just a couple of years before I was born.

Here´s what Eddie Lambert writes on his "Listener´s guide": "...It´s wholly in character that when DE reflected on the posibilities of space flight his mind should turn at once to the opposite sex. "Mooon maiden" indicates how DE would have gone about chatting up the ladies had such been bound on the moon during his lifetime. He talks rather than sings, and the main interest in this slight DE curio is DE´s solo, the only one he ever recorded on celeste."

Track 9: I don´t know neither the song nor this concrete performance, but I´d swear this the Count, sixties Count (Lockjaw Davies on tenor?) If there´s any group at all that can make me hum, tap my feet and snap my fingers with every song I listen, this is Basie´s. Even when it´s not top-notch Basie.

Track 2: Late Pops, no doubt. Haven´t heard this "Cheesecake" thing previously.

Will come with more!

YIKES ! HOW DID I MISS JAWS ON TRACK NINE YESTERDAY !

And Track 8 is buggin' the hell out of me. The tenor is sounding like Ben Webster to me in the beginning of the track and then the second half - NOT ! At about 3:48 in he blows this harmonic that sounds totally UN-BEN to me.

Edited by Harold_Z

Very much enjoying reading these comments!

Brownie, your link for Track 11 is to an album of which I'm totally unaware, so I'm guessing that what I've included is a different version of the tune by the same artist. Now you've got me curious about that other album!

Same with Track 15 - your link is not to the LP from which I took the cut. But in this case, we're talking a technicality of CD vs LP programming. Still, if anybody can link to the original LP source for this cut, it'll getcha BONUS POINTS! :g

Still no ID of the second saxophonist on Track 4, not even slightly. Listen closer, folks, it's a player who is not unfamiliar to many of you, although hearing him in this type of setting might well be. And the trombonist is not Clifton Anderson!

I'm thinking that stereojack might be able to nail Track 5, which is one of those things that if you don't have, or have heard of, the album it's off of, you'll never guess who it is. And even then, you'll most likely not know who it is!

Track 12 continues to tantalize, it seems. Let me just say if you set aside various preconceptions and think "logically", the two principal performers will come to you easily. Yes, it's them! Now, finding it on AMG is going to be another kettle of fish altogether... :w:w:w

Lime I said, very much digging reading everybody's thoughts on these, and some great detective work's been done so far. Equally looking forward to the comments of other recipients, and any/all follow-up posts by those who've already posted.

Same with Track 15 - your link is not to the LP from which I took the cut. But in this case, we're talking a technicality of CD vs LP programming. Still, if anybody can link to the original LP source for this cut, it'll getcha BONUS POINTS!  :g

Omegod! Did not notice Impulse had botched its reissue releases!

That link to the CD was wrong (did not check with the original vinyls). Here is another link to the title of the original LP's title.

Everybody

I have the vinyls but did not check to the links to verify the CD contents. The label did too many changes over the original programs. I see the Time tune you included is now on a different reissue CD :o

Edited by brownie

Wow, Jim. This is fun.

Here goes:

DISC ONE

1. You got me here. Love the organist, dislike the overenthusiastic drumming. Somewhere there’s heaven, but it ain’t in the first tenor solo. Guitar is fun, second tenor is OK. Cute coda.

2. Yes, it is who everybody thinks it is. I used to hear this fairly often on the Dr. Demento show. The band mostly sounds like it’s given up – there’s some life left in the clarinetist – but Pops has definitely NOT given up.

3. Love the bari player, love the many shadings and gradations in the percussion. No idea who it is. On second listen, loved the tenor even more.

4. Some overlooked newklear engineering from the mid-‘70s. It’s aging well.

Track 6 here.

5. Is it is or is it ain’t Brubeck? The piano can pass for him. Perhaps Desmond imbibed a little too much on this evening. I can see why someone thought it was a parody.

6. Sounds like an early JATP thing, but I can’t nail it down. Possibly Eldridge and Willie Smith, two men I love. Can’t hazard a guess at the guitar. Interesting piano; early Hank Jones?

7. An overproduced Turrentine thing? In a Sebeskian or Ogermanian setting? Early or mid-70s. The change in grooves is interesting but disconcerting. It gets results from the tenor, though. I’m not happy with the bass player (‘zat you, Buster Williams?); I’m never happy with sliding in the bass.

8. Too many Billieisms in the vocal. Too many people trying to play obbligato at once. Very strange. Like the alto; not sure what to make of the tenor.

9. This one’s also who you think it is (check the piano solo). Tight and right. Very nice Jaws. My copy is a Quintessence reissue LP; it says the material comes from the ABC label. link

10. Ouch. I'm pretty sure I’ve heard this thing before, and it’s probably in my collection, but I can’t place it. It’s beautiful, beginning to end, top to bottom, front to back. Oliver Nelson is my first guess for the arranger; Gerald Wilson is my second.

11. The band is trying awfully hard to sound like a dinner-music version of MJQ; the drummer even copped Connie’s cymbal sound. No idea. They don't fly very high.

12. You say Windows, but the LP says Ugh. And Uph. (It gives the title both ways.) Nate identified the tenor correctly; the tune’s composer is on piano. The LP is full of misfitted odds and ends from the workbench of the tenor player’s most famous employer. This cut is also apparently track 17 on this CD, which I don’t have.

link

13. It’s great to know that when we find life on other celestial bodies, there will be guys like this to mash on their women. He loves his Moon Maiden madly. Apparently on this disc, but I don’t own a copy; I should.

link

I see in an online discography that there's more than one recording of the tune.

14. Though I love ‘50s R&B, have no idea who this is. Maybe Jaws on tenor, or the tenor plays a common lick that Jaws liked to use. Note the riffs borrowed from “Two Bass Hit.”

15. Soulful tenor and organ, with bass that’s plucked and not kicked. It’s the First Couple of Greaze. My copy is track 8 on this CD. The long meter opens up some interesting possibilities.

16. When I was a child, this sort of music poured from the radio and TV. It delayed my appreciation of jazz by decades.

17. No idea. The singer’s seen better days. It’s off-putting but absorbing. Far more genuine and less creepy than 8.

On to Disc Two.

Edited by Spontooneous

Track 13: Yep! This is the Maestro doing his celeste + vocals version of his own composition "Moon maiden". Funnily, this was recorded on my birthday, just a couple of years before I was born.

Here´s what Eddie Lambert writes on his "Listener´s guide": "...It´s wholly in character that when DE reflected on the posibilities of space flight his mind should turn at once to the opposite sex. "Mooon maiden" indicates how DE would have gone about chatting up the ladies had such been bound on the moon during his lifetime. He talks rather than sings, and the main interest in this slight DE curio is DE´s solo, the only one he ever recorded on celeste."

13. It’s great to know that when we find life on other celestial bodies, there will be guys like this to mash on their women. He loves his Moon Maiden madly. Apparently on this disc, but I don’t own a copy; I should.

link

I see in an online discography that there's more than one recording of the tune.

Yes. The one included in this BFT is that included in "The intimate DE" disc. There are a couple of versions in the "Live and rare" 3 CD set. And if I remember correctly from Timner (I don´t have it handy), there are even two (or three?) more unissued versions.

1. How High the Moon. Although it is so familiar, it’s a tune I always revel in and this version is highly enjoyable. Meaty sax, swings all the way. Unfortunately, I’m getting no inspiration as to who any of the players are.

2. Can’t quite get the title of this tune. It’s there on the tip of my tongue. One of the no brainers as to who is the main protagonist? I do like the second “singer” though – what aplomb!

3. Sounds too low to be a baritone sax so maybe bass sax. Cheerful, infectious. Can’t guess anything.

4. This tune reminds me of While My Lady Sleeps by Kaper. If it’s not that I don’t know what it is. Rollins and Coltrane, tenor and soprano? Can’t guess the trombonist.

5. Gone with the Wind. At first I thought Brubeck but then the alto doesn’t sound like Desmond at all to me. Almost as if it’s some people pretending to be the DB quartet.

6. Swing era? The Man I Love? Stated in guitar solo more clearly than anywhere else if it is, or perhaps it’s just a quote. Guitar sounds more modern than anyone else. Could it be Christian?

7. Don’t know who this is either. Does not seem familiar at all. Not keen on this one.

8. I Got it Bad. I don’t listen to singers much and don’t recognize her.

9. Seem to know the tune but can’t name it. Is it Basie? The piano at the end is all.

10. Again the tune seems familiar but no name comes out. Like this track – powerful band.

11. High Fly by Randy Weston. The vibes style sounds familiar but I can’t produce a name.

12. Windows by Chick Corea? So familiar I thought it was Getz at first but later not like him at all. No guesses.

13. Moon Maiden. Is it a dulcimer?

14. Mountain Oysters. No comment.

15. Time After Time. Stanley Turrentine? Nice version. Great tune.

16. Nice voice.

17. For All We Know. Don’t know who. A bit overdone I thought.

Just my usual meager contribution, blundering about as always. Thanks for some good listening, sir. Very enjoyable. Now I can look at other comments.

Always nice to hear something new and I really enjoyed the eclectic assortment. Thanks Jim. Here is my first attempt to participate some. Please don’t mind that I am hazarding wild guesses everywhere. It seems your selections are heavy on saxes. Are these discs compilation of your fav sax players?

Track 1 “How High the Moon” As for an organ / guitar combination, Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell is the only one I think of. At first I had my wild guess further that the tenor was Stanley Turrentine. But as he appears in track 15 it probably is someone else.

Track 2 It must be who everyone thinks it is. Curious to hear why this one is included here.

Track 3 A nice groovy Latin tune to take a refuge from the unpleasant weather here (rainy and humid!). No idea of IDs though.

Track 4 The tenor is unmistakably Rollins. Al Foster on drums. One of his late ‘70s to early ‘80s Milestone album. Yoshiaki Masuo would be playing guitar then. But it seems Jim wanted this one a bit trickier. Is he doing double here with soprano?? I do not think I have heard him play soprano on any other tracks, but the fat and gruff sound suggests me his doing double.

Track 5 Sounds like Paul Desmond or Lee Konitz, some West Coast alto, however, the alto here is not as articulate as Konitz is. And although I am not familiar with Desmond, he does not sound like Desmond’s caliber either. So I would agree with the parody theory, which could be supported by the acrobatic attempt.

Track 6 Only idea was that I was hearing one of the Parker followers on alto. Then I was surprised to hear the edgy guitar on this early recording.

Track 7 One of the ‘70s CTI albums? Maybe too mellow. First I thought Ron Carter on bass, hearing the sliding thing. Buster Williams, as suggested by spontooneous, is equally or more likely.

Track 8 Art Pepper? He was my fav sax player when I started listening to jazz, borrowing vinyls out of the library. I was going to say this was before his rehab period, but Jim hinted a recording “after a certain period”, so I would go for early ‘70s.

Track 11 "Hi Fly"

Track 12 I was pretty sure hearing the opening theme that this was Stan Getz. Then I became less confident hearing the improvisation part. Sounding different from Getz. I Liked the piano. Reminds me of some Tyner as well as Evans. First rate piano in any event.

Track 15 Stanley Turrentine. That solo on the break was the most definitive Turrentine moment to me.

Track 17 No idea of IDs. Nice one to close a disc.

Will work on disc 2 tomorrow…

Edited by naos

Same with Track 15 - your link is not to the LP from which I took the cut. But in this case, we're talking a technicality of CD vs LP programming. Still, if anybody can link to the original LP source for this cut, it'll getcha BONUS POINTS!  :g

That link to the CD was wrong (did not check with the original vinyls). Here is another link to the title of the original LP's title.

Everybody

I have the vinyls but did not check to the links to verify the CD contents. The label did too many changes over the original programs. I see the Time tune you included is now on a different reissue CD :o

Hate to tell you this, but that's not it either... :w:w:w

It seems your selections are heavy on saxes. Are these discs compilation of your fav sax players?

Not really. Both discs are just the result of a stream-of-conscousness mix done over the course of about 12 hours one day. A fre alterations made afterwards, but this is pretty much how it was pulled and recorded. If it's sax-o-centric, I guess it's because I'm a tenorist myself, so my natural inclinations lean that way, I suppose.

Lots of positive response to the guitarist on Track 6, but who is it, y'all? (And no fair using Brownie's link! ;) ) It's definitely not an obscure name! I was hoping that Jim R would get it, but no...Maybe Joeganissimo will pick up on him?

Everybody

Hate to tell you this, but that's not it either... :w:w:w

Jim, this is as close to harassing me that you will get :excited:

I have done proper research now and the third answer is - at long last - the exact one.

Volume 3 of this series (that's as close as I could google)!

Definitive vol. 3

Got your disc uncovered by now. Triplechecked this!

;)

:unsure: Maybe it's just me, but I don't quite get why some folks are reading the whole thread before their first post. It's like, are these really your ideas? I'd rather see "blind" responses (that's why it was originally called a "blindfold" test), and I think it would be even more fun for everybody. FWIW... :cool:

=====

Upon another spin...

I need to amend my response to #1. It was the first tenor solo that I found less than impressive (liked the second much more). I'm inclined to go along with Mr. Z (McDuff group with G Benson, not sure on the tenors).

I wonder if I was right in any of my comments on #4... seems like the majority agrees that it's Newk.

5 is still weird, but I could believe that's Desmond and Brubeck messin' around with some college students. :)

On #6, I could also believe that it's Kessel on guitar (as suggested above), and yeah, not fully formed yet in terms of style. HEAVY Christian influence still apparent, and only a hint of the string-bending bluesiness that would eventually become so prominent in his solo approach. The scales he plays are relatively basic and predictable as compared to what he would do later, but are not out of character for him in his later work. Or, it could be somebody else. :cool:

I liked #7 even better the second time around... but this is definitely not the kind of thing that I'm familiar with. I think (unfortunately) that I kind of bypassed a lot of the more soul-influenced players back in the day.

Any chance Duke Pearson was involved on #10? (just a thought... without a hell of a lot of thought behind it ;)).

The info posted on #12 was a surprise to me...big surprise, in fact. I never heard of that alternate song title, nor would I have expected those personnel (maybe because I've never known a lot about the composer's background). What's the old saying?... you learn something every BFT?

I’ve listened to all of disc one, and here are my comments.

1. “How High the Moon” My first thought when this started was early Jimmy Smith, but after listening for a bit, and not recognizing the tenor player, I began to wonder. Maybe this is a younger group emulating Jimmy’s style?

2. Louis Armstrong – “Cheesecake” OK, Jim’s having some fun with us here. Not one of my favorite moments from the old man, but I guess it’s always nice to hear Pops. Even though this is pretty late (mid-60’s?), his trumpet (what little there is of it) still sounds pretty good.

3. Really liked this, wish the saxophonists could have stretched out a little more, but that probably wouldn’t have pleased the producer! Might these be well known jazzmen moonlighting with a Latin band like Tito Puente?

4. My first thought when this started was Archie Shepp, and as the tenor solo went along, I got to thinking how much Archie recalled Sonny Rollins on this. And then it occurred to me – this IS Sonny Rollins, presumably one of his Milestone records. The trombone is Clifton Anderson, the electric bass Bob Cranshaw. Really don’t care for Sonny’s harsh tone on this, and overall don’t think there’s a lot happening here.

5. “Gone With The Wind” It didn’t take long to realize that this was a joke, a spoof of Dave Brubeck’s popular college albums of the 1950’s. I believe this is from the “Morris Grants Presents J.U.N.K.” album. To this day, I don’t know who’s behind this!

6. “The Man I Love” I think this is from the famous 1947 Pasadena Concert, produced by Gene Norman. The alto is Willie Smith, the trumpet Al Killian I think, possibly Irving Ashby on guitar? Too bad about the fade after the piano solo – I wonder if this may have been originally issued in two parts?

7. Sounds like Gene Ammons, probably from one of his later albums. Poor Jug is practically drowned out by the strings, voices, and what have you. A valiant attempt, but not the Jug of yore.

8. Well, I’m pretty sure that the tenor on the left channel is Archie Shepp. Can’t name the singer or the other tenor player. A gold star to the singer for staying on track with all the distractions. J

9. “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” This has got to be Count Basie, circa mid 1960’s. Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis, tenor sax, Rufus Jones on drums. Trumpet sounds like a flugelhorn, could it be Waymon Reed? My guess that this may be from the Command album “Broadway Basie’s Way”, given the big stereo spread.

10. After the somewhat over the top Basie track, I like the more relaxed groove of this track, although I can’t place the alto player. Might this be Lou Donaldson with Oliver Nelson?

11. “Hi-Fly” A nice vibes player – I’m thinking Walt Dickerson, possibly from one of his Prestige albums? Like this track a lot.

12. The tune is Chick Corea’s “Litha”, but this isn’t either of the versions I know (Stan Getz, Chick Corea). The pianist could be early Chick, I guess, can’t place the tenor player. I know I’m gonna kick myself when I find out who this is!

13. Duke Ellington “Moon Maiden”. Only Duke could get away with this!

14. “Mountain Oysters” Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis, recorded circa 1949. I had this on the old King LP “Risky Blues” years ago. Don’t believe Jaws is the vocalist. however.

15. “Time After Time” Stanley Turrentine, tenor. Only guessing here, but the organ is Shirley Scott? Stanley Sounds great on this tune, which I’ve always loved.

16. This is interesting – a jazz beer ad! I’ve heard of Jax beer, but is Mellow Jack’s a local beer somewhere? Are we supposed to know the singer?

17. Betty Carter specialized in this kind of way down ballad, but this singer strikes me as a little too maudlin (maybe that’s too strong a word). She ain’t Betty.

1. This has got to be Jimmy Smith or someone heavily influenced by him. Not sure who anyone else is. I’ll guess Kenny Burrell on guitar. I really dig this track. Just like a few tracks on disc #2 this one is taken at a breakneck pace and is a blast. I’m really looking forward to reading who this is.

2. Pops goes the weasel! I already posted a link to my guess for this track. A bit of throwaway fluff, to be sure, but such fun throwaway fluff. It would have been nice to have some more trumpet, but what are you going to do.

3. Nice! The baritone sax adds a really nice touch to this solid latin band. Other than that I don’t have anything to go on. No clue who this is, but I’m looking forward to finding out and exploring the rest of this album. What are they saying? It sounds like “oye mi fatso,” which can’t be right.

4. A live(?) recording of Sonny off of vinyl. This is as harsh as I’ve heard his tone. Other than that I couldn’t tell you anything about the track, other than I really enjoyed it.

5. Ok, now we’re back to more of the bizarre. Over-the-top canned applause, really noticeable flubs, a bass “solo” that seems to trail off and die. This has to be a joke, right?

6. No clue who this is. This isn’t an era I’m particularly well versed in. Very nice. Great sound and great energy. I’d like to find out who this is and hear more from this album.

7. I started off thinking I was going to hate this track, but that odd bass line caught my ear. Definitely not what I was expecting. I like the sax a lot, I like the sultry, almost woozy bass, but the backing track is too lush for my taste. This would have worked better as a quartet or quintet track in my opinion. This has got to be from the mid-1970’s.

8. The singer sounds like late Billie Holiday, no clue who she is. The tenor sounds familiar, but I’m not able to put a name with the tone right now. Not really my cup of tea, but interesting enough to make me curious about the rest of the album.

9. Not my cup of tea. The band is tight, they swing like hell, and the energy here is fantastic, but it is all too much. Too forced, perhaps. I guess my problem is with the arrangement. I would have liked to have heard the tenor stretch out, too.

10. See above. I like this one better than track 9. The soloists have more room to maneuver and the chart isn’t as “forced” to my ears. Still, NMCOT.

11. This one makes for a nice, mellow change of pace. No clue who this is, but I’d guess this is not a very recent recording. A little too short to really get a handle on.

12. I like this one quite a bit. This sounds like one of McCoy Tyner’s dates from the late ‘60’s / early ‘70’s.

13. Another bizarre track. The voice sounds familiar…is that Duke? Weird… Not much else to say about this one. I wouldn’t pull this out other than for its novelty value.

14. I’m not crazy about the concept of actually eating “mountain oysters,” but I love the tenor and the down and dirty r&b groove this tune has. This one makes you want to cringe and dance at the same time.

15. Nice, nice track. A real slow burner. I really like this one, but have no clue who it is. I want to hear the rest of this session.

16. I‘m not sure if this is really an add or just a really short track emulating an add. Not much else to say here.

17. Not my cup of tea at all.

All in all a great BFT, Jim. As I said on the other discussion thread I really enjoyed listening to both discs, even the tracks labelled as NMCOT. I'll be following the discussion and answer thread avidly.

OK, just finished up a two times listen to the first disc and I must say this was a COLORFUL ride all the way! Thanks Jim for a very enjoyable first disc.

It's my first BFT for almost a year, I think, so please don't drive a stake in me when I screw up :)

Here goes:

1. HHTM. I like the groove. A VERY fast pace HHTO! A great way to start things off! The Organ is very Jimmy Smith-y, but I doubt if it's the man itself. The tenor on the first solo goof things up a bit, I think. He misses a few notes. I think I hear Texas in his playing. The second solo is way better. Is it the same tenor in both solos??

2. Yikes!! :o Do you ever listen to this of you own free will, Jim? I prefer LTDs version :cool:

3. A solid Latin Band, with some nice Bari notes to solidify things up. Nice, but nothing special to these ears.

4. Newk. Probably 70-80s live recording with his work group. Newk sound is SOOOO harsh! This is probably his working group with his. Fred Anderson on the bone? Who's the Soprano player? No idea

5. GWTW - I hope this is a parody of the Brubeck 4tet, otherwise all those involved are obviously high on something. You even hear an "Oops!" along the way.

6. TMIL - Sounds like a 40s JATP thing. Trumpet player is Shavers, I think. Altist - Not Benny Carter or Hodges, maybe Willie Smith? The Tenor player is a hawkian, but not the Hawk himself. Maybe Flip Phillips? The Guitar solo is the highlight for me. I have no idea who the player is, but he's simply great.

7. Sounds like Jug to me. If not it's a fine copycat. I know the tune but can't remember the name. The production is overly syrupy and sugary, probably early 70s, but It can't hide the soul of Jug.

8. IGIB - The singer is awful! How do you find them, Jim? The Tenor is very nice. I hear a lot of Webster in his playing. I got a feeling the cat plays out as well. Shepp maybe? The alto is prime material as well, but I don;t recognize him. His roots are the bop, where the tenor's roots are someplace else.

9. ECUR - Too Broadway-ish for me. NMCOT. Lockjaw's solo is a small blessing, though.

10. I know the tune, but can't tell its name. A fine alto player. Has a lot of soul in his axe. he tends to go a bit overboard here, probably to match the bombastic arrangement, but he's a fine altist. Maybe Hank Crawford? I dunno, because by the end of the track it sounds Jackie Mac-ish from time to time.

11. Weston's Hi Fly. I like the tune a lot. No idea who the vibist is. the track doesn't "do" it for me.

12. That's an odd combination. The pianist sounds very Tyneresque, especially with this fast waltz that reminds me of "My Favorite Things". The axe, OTOH, has a velvety voice is the Golson/Gonsalves vain. Another of the "I KNOW THIS GUY BUT CAN'T TELL WHO IS HE" trcks.

You don't get to hear this combination too often. I liked it!

13. What is this????? Is that by chance Shepp singing? and Why????

14. That's a silly little track. It starts with a boogie-woogie thing and goes off to the r&b stuff. Again, the tenor player sounds really familiar to these ears.

15. I think it's Stanley Turrentine. If that's true than the Organ player must be Shirley Scott. I really dig the tenor's big, smiley, bluesy sound. OTOH, the organ didn't do much for me. The organ's voice comes thru as really thin. In addition, the organ solo didn;t leave a mark with me. Not that creative, and a bit too strained and hesitant.

16. How do you find those female vocals, Jim?? No comment besides that.

17. FAWK - The singer is fine, if a bit too dramatic to my tastes. The Piano player is really really great. I liked what he was doing a lot. He/She takes his/her time to develop ideas. The playing is very sensitive and the interaction between the pianist and vocalist is very good. Jimmy Rowles maybe?

A nice way to end a great compilation. Thanks again, Jim!

edit: Shirley Scott not Rhoda scott :)

Edited by White Lightning