BFT 27 - DISC ONE DISCUSSION

JSngry

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have the disc....but from the posts above I would guess that track one is Jack McDuff w/Kenny Burrell "How High The Moon" from McDuff's Prestige "Crash" LP.  It's a great arrangement with Harold Vick on tenor.

O.K. Jim, you're a REAAAALLL hardass. My blind guess was basically a bullseye. It's Brother Jack McDuff's version of "How High The Moon" on his "Silk and Soul" Album (sorry, I blindly guessed the "Crash" CD version) with a young George Benson on guitar.

Ooooh...sorry, but that's not the McDuff album I took it from, and that's not the group listed on the album.

Not saying you're wrong, because I don't have that album, just that I've got different personnel from a different album. It's an album whose contents have been scattered over several CDs, and appears to have been one of those Prestige compilation albums compiled of left-overs and/or incomplete sessions, all of which in this case prove to be very worthy.

Does that help?

:g Great pick....

I'm not sure how these two different version's of McDuff's "How High The Moon" are spread out over various Prestige LPs and/or CDs (ya know how Prestige and Fantasy are about comps and combinations)....however...I think your version was originally on "I Got A Woman"(no not the McGriff LP, let's not add to the confusion!) on Prestige.

McDuff did two different versions of How High The Moon. Your's is the version with either Martino or Benson (the CD says it's Martino, but it's kind Benson-y to these ears). SUPER smokin' arrangement. He also did one with Kenny Burrell.

I'm not sure how these two different version's of McDuff's "How High The Moon" are spread out over various Prestige LPs and/or CDs (ya know how Prestige and Fantasy are about comps and combinations)....however...I think your version was originally on "I Got A Woman"(no not the McGriff LP, let's not add to the confusion!) on Prestige.

McDuff did two different versions of How High The Moon.  Your's is the version with either Martino or Benson (the CD says it's Martino, but it's kind Benson-y to these ears).  SUPER smokin' arrangement.  He also did one with Kenny Burrell.

Wow. I thought I was going completely insane, but this brings it all together. I was going through the Prestige discography (hey, you have to give in eventually), and I went through a shitload of McDuff listings... and foolishly gave up before I got to the February '66 session. I guess I didn't expect there to be another version with such a similar arrangement 3 years later (the "Something Slick" session with Burrell, which Harold Z mentioned, was in '63). Let's just say the personnel listed for this track in the discography makes sense to me.

Thanks for the CD Jim.  Just got home tonight from San Francisco and popped it in just now.  Only listened to the first song but look forward to hearing the rest.  Thanks again.

Before I forget, don't thank me, thank Big Al. He volunteeered to be the go-to guy for latecomers, and he kept his word. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

1. Nice organ groove. Don Patterson?

2. Gotta be Pops. Firmly wedged in my mind. I gotta struggle to avoid singing it out loud at inappropriate times. Gobble Gobble.

3. Mongo Santamaria?

4. Reminds me of G-Man, but that's not the track. I still say Rollins

5. I first thought Paul Desmond, which would have meant that Brubeck was in a particularly delicate mood. Sonny Criss came to mind on second play, and that's my guess

6. A tart alto in a 50's style who's not Bird. How about Stitt?

7. Tune sounds like Rainy Night in Georgia. Jug? I wouldn't even be surprised if this was particularly hip filler off a seventies R&B date.

8. Billie, but some of the tenor phrases sound shockingly like Shepp. Probably Ben. Duke's I Got it Bad.

9. Woody Herman?

10. Gerald Wilson?

11. Randy Weston's Hi-Fly on vibes. Jay Hoggard?

12. A very familiar tune from the lat

13. Moon Maiden from The Intimate Ellington

14. Stylistically like Louis Jordan. I remember his voice being a little deeper, so I'll try to dredge up another jump blues name. Jay McShann?

15. Shirley Scott and Stanley Turrentine?

16. Pretty cool beer commercial. Anita O'Day?

17. So who sounds like a cross between Helen Merrill and Mabel Mercer at a Shirley Horn tempo? I should be able to come with a better guess than Helen Merrill, but I cant.

Yeah, 15 is Stanley T. from his Impulse "Let It Go" LP with Shirley Scott on organ. That elongated vibe on Time After Time is really, really, really a groove. And it's cuts like these that make me want to listen to Shirley much, much more than I do. She's so tasty and swinging. Really love this, thanks for the memories.... :D

Yeah, 15 is Stanley T. from his Impulse "Let It Go" LP with Shirley Scott on organ. 

No it's not!

This has been covered previously! ;):g

It IS "Time After Time" by Stanley Turrentine and Shirley Scott on the "Let It Go" CD reissued by Impulse. It says on the CD that it was originally issued on "The Definitive Jazz Scene, Vol. 3." I've A/B'd the song and it's exactly the same one. So, it might be on different LPs or CDs, but it's the same song.... :cool:

NOW you got it!  :g

Thank God! :party: I felt like I was going crazy....uhhh...it SOUNDS exactly like the same track, but master yoda keeps telling me to look further....

This is the most exhausting damn two organ songs I actually guessed right the first time to identify. I'm quitting while I'm behind (or ahead, but I'm afraid to ask for confirmation at this point). :g

P.S...Shirley Scott is really killing here.

I'm quitting while I'm behind (or ahead, but I'm afraid to ask for confirmation at this point). :g

Oh, you're ahead!

Any comments on Track Seven?

Oh Yes! Well, it's late Jug. THIS is the Jug that I personally love the most. The bass player is killing me, I love what he's doing here. The big band, strings...whatever this is I've GOT to get the whole LP or CD. Jug is what jazz sax is, was, and will be till time stops. Heart. Heart. Heart.

Great tune, performance and pick.

By the way, read a Buster Williams interview. His 1st professional "big" gig was going on the road with Stitt and Ammons. He's got some great stories on those guys. But one was about Ammons leaving Buster stranded and screwing him royally. By the time Buster made it back to Chicago, Ammons called and wanted him for a gig!!! Buster did it because he said you just couldn't get mad at Ammons. :D

Thanks Al.... :blush:

My pleasure! Glad I could help! :tup

Did Freddie Roach ever play with Stanley T? I could SWORE that was Freddie, and not Shirley. Maybe their styles are more similar than anyone's noticed previously?

Dude, that ain't no Freddie...that's surely Shirley! No mistaking that one. The only similarity to me is perhaps the light sound both have the ability to illicit from the instrument. But those two are especially distinct sounding organists. And no, Freddie and Stanley never did record together. :cool: