BFT 27 - DISC TWO DISCUSSION

JSngry

1. Um, Cannonball Adderly?? : )

2. David Ware's strings album?

3. Johnny Griffin? Dexter was my other thought, but I think his strings album had more modernish string arrangements.

4. Abbey Lincoln?

5. Lee Morgan a possibility

6. Steve Kuhn over Chick Corea

7. I'll try Jones-Lewis big band here.

8. I'd expect something by Andy Narrell to sound slicker. Definitely thinking steel drums, not hubkaphone. Maybe it's the trombone's date. Robin Eubanks?

9. Sounds like Weather Report.

10. Harold Mabern Jr.?

11. Unusual fragment here. Dave Bryant?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blindfold Test #27 Compiled by JSngry

Disc Two

1. There must be some sort of trickery at work here, with Cannonball being announced. Odd for Cannonball, at least as far as I've delved into his catalog (which isn't nearly far enough). African theme, I can dig it. I've been listening to Fela Kuti and The Daktaris, as well as a few other African-themed compilations lately, so I'm definitely a fan of the African/afrobeat sound. Very festive, very happy.

2. I hear machine guns, then shit gets scary. It's the creepy part of the movie, don't look! Brotzman? Four and a half minutes more of this is really going to freak me out. My stomach is knotting here.

3. Yuck, this is cheese. I get the same vibe viewing a Thomas Kinkade. Gorelick? NEXT!

4. Now I know where Erykah Badu got her style. I like this very much. I'd almost think this IS Erykah, but the singing's too tasteful. This is how she SHOULD sing.

5. From the jump, I dig it. Blue Mitchell comes to mind, or Kenny Dorham. Drums make me think Elvin Jones. Mobley maybe? No complaints! Sheesh, the piano player's a madman. Bass, superb. :tup

6. Totally entrancing piano, I can't get enough of this one. Is this Keith Jarrett? Amazing skill at work here. I'd buy solo piano albums that include this sort of sound. Carries my interest throughout. Have the hands reversed their usual roles here? Mind-boggling!

7. Horace Silver-ish. I might have this one, but I can't think of what it might be. Oliver Nelson?

8. Steel drums, and the solos don't sound cheesey! This is my kind of oddity.

9. Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, and Return To Forever come to mind. This synth isn't my favorite sound, but it's pretty funky here. The bass and drums keep it all funky. Azymuth maybe?

10. Jaco Pastorius bass? Insane pace. I like the electric piano, I think there's room for it with alongside the other keyed instruments. I love traditional piano, it's indispensable and one of my favorite instruments-but I dig the electric sound too.

11. Les Baxter or someone from those spacey tiger-rug martini music compilations. Funky, with a twinge of spacey samba. I like that sort of stuff!

Disc 2 -

Track 1 - The MC tells it so we know right away who we deal with. But before our man shows up, his Brazilian friends take the stage with a non-jive samba. Happy music that I liked the music from note one but I had to put my brain on fire to try to find out where this came from. Went through the few albums that Airto made in this company and could not find a match. Dug up the Lord discography which was not much help, looked further and presume I have an answer although I do not have the disc. I usually dislike the sound of the electric piano but I can tolerate it on this type of music. I have not listened to that pianist for quite a long time. I may have missed something. The leader gives the title as the track comes to and end!

Title track from this album which I understand includes two live Brazilian inspired tunes:

Happy

Track 2 - gunfire then the motorbike kicking it off? Maybe there was a reason for this type of overture. Soon as the strings screeched in, things got more interesting. Pretty provocative. Liked that. Would not be surprised to find out I should have known that saxophone player!

Track 3 - Sonny Stitt did a marvellous version of this, with strings arrangements by Ralph Burns. Stitt went straight at it, The tenderness on the version here is a bit too obvious. Whoever this is, I'll stick to Stitt!

Track 4 - This one was easy. The pair is an old favorite. The singer is one of the few who does a creditable job at recreating the Lady Day songs because she does not try to imitate. She gets inside the songs. The pianist is his usual impeccable self. Wish I had had a chance to hear these people live. Bet they delivered even better in clubs. Track 13

Moonlight

Track 5 - The trumpet was still on fire when he made that recording. A bit flashy but this is masterfully executed even the expected pyrotechnic exercises, and it does swing. I have enjoyed this album for a long time (also the companion album recorded by the bass player the same day). The saxophone player seemed to have problem keeping the ideas flowing but he got famously helped by the drummer. The drummer got several bad raps in a recent thread here. Thought this was totally unjustified. Proof is right here!

Opening track (a classic ballad) from this groovy album:

Song

Track 6 - a piano duo. Thought Steve Kuhn might have been one of the two but on closer listening, that's not his style. Was this some variations on My Favorite Things?

Track 7 - even if the bass was overrecorded as too often happens, this track turned out to be better on repeated listenings. Could not identify the soprano player but the musician who tried some tenderness on the third track should check this one and retain lessons on how to interpret ballads. A very beautiful selection!

Track 8 - bass and marimbas is not what I really listen to and this tune went on and on. Makes me longing for the era of 78rpm discs and 3-minute pronouncements. Afraid I am not familiar with these players. But the trombone knows how to play. I like him!

Track 9 - I have not listened to Weather Report albums in a long time. Their first albums were earticklers but then the source dried up and this probably originated after the drought. This type of music does nothing to me these days. So much more interesting things happening!

Track 10 - The electric piano introduction gave me a fright but when the other musicians joined in, this sounded a bit familiar. The trumpet and the tenor (specially him) players have distinctive sounds and I only needed to search thru my vinyls to confirm what all this was about. One of Jim's favorite label. The leader stayed somehow in the background but his bombs in the ensemble are unmistakable.

Fourth tune

Roy

Track 11 - A quick one. No tears, no goodbye...

No idea!

Just regrets that we could not explore more of Jim's vinyls.

Many thanks for letting us get an earful!

Edited by brownie

Damn, brownie, you win the Sherlock Holmes Award for both of these discs!

I will say, though, that the pianist on Track Four is not who I think you think it is. In fact, that AMG link you give doesn't even list him as a pianist!

(and btw - I didn't take this cut from that CD! But we'll not quibble any more about that type of thing. It is the same performance. ;) )

Jim, I was really looking for the Inspector Clouseau award :(

Checked again on the Lord discography. It does not even list the album from track 1...

As for track 4, I was puzzled on the link I posted because I was under the impression that you had taken all your stuff out of vinyls. Found the LP you used and I was indeed having another pianist on my mind! O, never mind!

Thanks again for the two discs assemblage. Very impressed with the selections you made. I'll be waiting for the results now. Some discs will be on my want list, as if I needed that!

Seeing that Jim had posted the first disc in answer mode I'd best get this on on the table.

T 1 - This must be that late seventoes band who i've heard none of. Home of the human cuixa and then the real one. That be Zawinul and Purim and Airto or something? And maybe that's Lateef in the band that mr. couw hips and recs. tis quite the lively party mode here amongst the happy people. Worth every penny and pop just for that tenor solo(s) that snakes throughout. Would I be the fool to say that Adderley lays out?

T 2 - More military maneuvers from Jim's past BFT? Burning it down ... this might be a Philly group?

Arkestra w/ symphonic strings attached? Quite a soundtrack to something here? Not for the weak of ear by any means.

T 3 - "Try a Little Tenderness" w a bit of smoove. Almost waitng for the segue into JB's Riddle reckid from BFTs past. Nice and dare I say it's Sanborn? If so you know that guy can play.

T 4 - More "Moonlight" ... I like this woman but that Ammonsish tenor is the key. Can't put a name here but very swinging new sound.

T 5 - Not up to snuff on much and modern trumpeters are at the top.

T 6 - Man I've heard this or have it!? Quite a grand lesson within. hmmmm.

T 7 - Oliver chart? a bit of that CTI '"St. James Infirmary" but it is another more soul oriented tune.

T 8 - Only pan player I know is Andy Narrell and he's pretty much straight. This is a real deal in Limbo.

T 9 - Yikes. I'll sit thru it just cause Jim made the disk and there is something here that needs to be taken from this but that rational is tough after a few minutes of the eleven. Wants to be some weird Hancock thing but once the vocoder hits all I think of is Frampton with an afro.

T 10 - hmmm again ... the tune is a standard, no?

T 11 - hmmm again???

Man that was one wacky ride. This will be an interesting read to see who knows who here. Thanks in advance for the subliminal ear opening that went on. :D

I can't seems to sniff out the farts ... but considering this originated in Plano!

Nice read thus far.

Track Four ... of course Etta Jones. Dang!

Track Three ... Sanborn?!, if so, needs to make a real album (kind of like Mariah Carey really does too) - one that appeals to me - cause he sure can deliver in his own world. Anyone ever see him with Berne and Zorn doing the Ornette covers? ... now that would be cool again.

Track Eleven ... Is that really "The Beat Goes On"? them last few tracks are certainly nice in how that skate around the calypso ... thumbs for the fun.

Ack! Sorry, guys, I'm really behind. Jim - I really, really dug both discs. I can't decide which one I like more - probably disc 1 because of "Cheesecake" but there's some mighty entertaining stuff on disc 2. Disc 1 is still stuck in my car CD changer - where "Cheesecake" delights my girls (and me!) to no end. Must have listened to it a hundred times on a recent roadtrip. And I'm not complaining; you wouldn't either if you heard my girls laughing and singing along.

I dunno what, if any, theme there might be, but one thing stood out for me with both of these discs: they were FUN to listen to. Some serious stuff and some relatively frivolous tracks, but damn these were entertaining. Gotta run, but wanted to post at least this and quickly check out the answers...

Disc 2

1. Uh, Cannonball Adderley and his fine group? ;) But veddy interesting Cannonball, like I’ve never heard before (I don’t have his bossa album). Delightful! I can’t imagine jazz (or any music actually) being more joyous than this. The electric piano suggests this may be Cannonball’s later band with George Duke. Not too familiar with this period.

2. Odd, Phillip Glass-like opening certainly grows “jazzier” as it develops, but this still seems very much Third Stream – what the heck does that mean anyway? I dunno, given that it’s Sangrey, I’ll guess this comes from one of Braxton’s more classical ensembles???

3. “Try a Little Tenderness.” Lovely.

4. “Moonlight” Sounds like Dinah in places, but then not really. Hmm. Piano sounds almost electric during the solo, so this may be from a lot later than I first thought. No, not electric, just the percussive piano style. Whatever. Very nice!

5. “The Song is You.” Fast-paced version of this standard. Starts out fairly conventional but grows increasingly raucous. Maybe a little too raucous, but not bad at all…

6. Piano solo – terrific – Bley? Maybe Andrew Hill?

7. Neat, noir-ish groove. Really like this one.

8. Steal drums, Caribbean – very interesting percussion – neat. No idea what this might be, but I like it. More Caribbean, though, than jazz – at least as first impressions go…

9. Funky, but also gritty. Gotta be from the early 70s. The vocals sound familiar – and are completely unexpected – but I have no idea…

10. Again, a breakneck tempo on a standard usually performed much slower. I dig the electric piano behind the inside-outside sax blowing. Perhaps a bit dated-sounding, but neat nonetheless. No idea as to who…

11. Completely missed this the first few times. No bloody clue (and perhaps the only track that I don’t care to learn).

Disc 1 is still stuck in my car CD changer - where "Cheesecake" delights my girls (and me!) to no end.  Must have listened to it a hundred times on a recent roadtrip.  And I'm not complaining; you wouldn't either if you heard my girls laughing and singing along.

I dunno what, if any, theme there might be, but one thing stood out for me with both of these discs: they were FUN to listen to.  Some serious stuff and some relatively frivolous tracks, but damn these were entertaining. 

If there was a theme at all (and there wasn't a preplanned one like last time), that would be it. Stuff that's fun for me to listen to, whether it be "happy" fun or "serious" fun or even "dark" fun. Your daughters got it, and so did you.

Not all the men know, but the little girls DO understand. ;)

right, the curtains are waving in the wind, the lamps are shiny and stick to the ceiling, so here goes:

een: Cannibal doing Carnival. Even with a Foekepot (pig belly skin with a stick going up and down through it). Not much deep red meat to carve, but plenty Happy People fer sure, plenty loose and plenty nice, plenty fun too. Wouldn't have guessed Cannibal, deep noise he makes; Cannibal on tenor? this must be 70s when everything went and people knew no shame. heheheh.

twee: martial starts, scary business, combined with sport crowd noises? that's really scary! The strings set in pretty dramatically. good stuff. Recently had a little dose of some of those wack british guys surrounding Johnny Scott producing similar stuff in the mid 60s, though less free blowing. The piano spots actually sound somewhat like that Kuhn album recently reissued as Verve LPR. The free blowing tenors jerk it all over in yet another direction. Fascinating stuff, real curious about this.

drie: ouch. this is nice in and of itself, but I would turn the dial when this'd come on, even if it's not really all that bad. cheesy detective tellyvision only movies come to mind. shudder.

vier: POOT! at 1:02 WTF?! Sounds more like a snore from the singer somehow. Did she fall asleep? Nah, this is good stuff. After initial doubts I quite like her. The sax is marvellous. She snores again at 3:32. Funny breathing technique man!

vijf: The bass and drums stumble a bit over each other, I blame the bass and its shitty sound, but the trumpet is on overdrive. Freddie Hubbard fer sure. Steamrollah! Good stuffe one more again!

zes: pling plong. Stardate 1215645, two pianos floating through space playing with sound and stereo. This builds up very nicely over the longer haul. There's a Weston phrase somewhere on the left channel, but too little to stick to. No idea-

zeven: aw, I have heard this before I am pretty sure. This is the good stuff, play back to back with track three for a good lesson in no go and yes so.

acht: steew dwums! simply fantastic! these sound the crappy kind with soup cans used for mending where holes had been banged in by too much hip swaying enthusiasm. Didn't Jim drop the steel drum in one of the recent drummer threads? Need to check back, was it the Hemmingway thread? (yup, it was..:w) And trombone too! Ray Anderson is my guess, tone and phrases and whack enough for this kind of stuffe. Too silly for a good ole google now, bit this should be easy to find.

negen: Wetterbericht fer sure? Funky, yes; Good playing, yes; Yucky dated overall sound, yes. Machine doing the clapping, no!? yes!!! (aargh!) All in all, I can take this pretty well, if only for the great groove, but it's certainly NOT timeless. Shee-itte man, I see sweat bands and black light lasers and neon and well, lots of crap. the voices coming in at 4:06 and disappearing again until they return for a short cameo 4 minutes later, that's real classy stuff.

tien: ooh! fast! and very very busy. once the horns cool down I really appreciate what the madmen in the back are doing. Okay, got it now. Harrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

elf: rewaaaaaaxxx! and mucho mucho cwazeee! it's all out there, you only need to take off and slice.

and that's it!

(edited for sepling)

Edited by couw

T 8 - Only pan player I know is Andy Narrell and he's pretty much straight.  This is a real deal in Limbo.

Re-reading the posts I see this track has been snuffled out and I guessed the title of the tune without even googling or nuthin'. Made my day thasall! :) The demonchaser on the oil cans.

Right album, wrong tune!

T 8 - Only pan player I know is Andy Narrell and he's pretty much straight.  This is a real deal in Limbo.

Re-reading the posts I see this track has been snuffled out and I guessed the title of the tune without even googling or nuthin'. Made my day thasall! :) The demonchaser on the oil cans.

Right album, wrong tune!

sheet, never could get under the stick anyhow! JimR and mikeweil had the album.

negen: ... the voices coming in at 4:06 and disappearing again until they return for a short cameo 4 minutes later, that's real classy stuff. ...

and it's the stuff that sticks, I'm still going "paa-dee-a-pa-pah!" here.-

Are you getting that half-step on the last note of the last phrase?

That's what makes it!

Right album, wrong tune!

sheet, never could get under the stick anyhow! JimR and mikeweil had the album.

Don't feel bad. I picked it and damned if I know how to pronounce it...