BFT 27 - DISC TWO DISCUSSION

JSngry

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

negen: ... the voices coming in at 4:06 and disappearing again until they return for a short cameo 4 minutes later, that's real classy stuff. ...

and it's the stuff that sticks, I'm still going "paa-dee-a-pa-pah!" here.-

Are you getting that half-step on the last note of the last phrase?

That's what makes it!

what really makes it is that they do their part and drop out. No blabbering about, just those few punchy lines and bang done with. :tup

negen: ... the voices coming in at 4:06 and disappearing again until they return for a short cameo 4 minutes later, that's real classy stuff. ...

and it's the stuff that sticks, I'm still going "paa-dee-a-pa-pah!" here.-

Are you getting that half-step on the last note of the last phrase?

That's what makes it!

what really makes it is that they do their part and drop out. No blabbering about, just those few punchy lines and bang done with. :tup

Yeah, but it's how they get out that makes it :tup PLUS for me!

T 8 - Only pan player I know is Andy Narrell and he's pretty much straight.  This is a real deal in Limbo.

Re-reading the posts I see this track has been snuffled out and I guessed the title of the tune without even googling or nuthin'. Made my day thasall! :) The demonchaser on the oil cans.

Right album, wrong tune!

sheet, never could get under the stick anyhow! JimR and mikeweil had the album.

Track 8? No, twasn't me (had no idea who or what it was). I see that Nate Dorward had posted a link to the album... although I'm not sure if he identified which track... (but then I'm not sure about A LOT of things ^_^ )

A bit late to the discussion here, which I haven't read much of. Not wanting to seem ungrateful, I gave a listen to Disc 2, and, working from my notes, here are my thoughts.

I'll save time by saying up front that I was unable to identify virtually anyone.

1. I like it. Happy groove, happy singers, happy people. Cannonball pushing the harmony a bit in his solo. Keys made me think of Zawinal. Re: the cuixa (is that really how you spell it??), did someone say they hated that thing? Dig: we have it on one track of the new organissimo record. :rhappy:

2. Wow. I thought that was pretty cool. Strange mix of sounds up front, especially that cracklin' stuff - most unpleasant. The musical language in the next part sounds familiar. the Pat Metheny Group sometimes plays things like this to set stuff up, but I don't know where they got it from. The saxes were killing, and the length of this piece was just right IMO.

3. Big reverb, lush sound. I don't have much of this kind of thing, save for Shirley Horn's "Here's to Life", courtesy of a friend. I feel like I should know who the sax and piano are, but I don't. I like this for late at night. Has the saxman listened to Brecker? His control in the upper range reminded me of Mike, though here it's not overdone.

4. Again my ignorance is revealed. Nice track, though. Interesting moments in the piano solo where he pauses as if deciding where to go next. Ending on the #11 was a nice touch, too. I like the singer.

5. Bassist having a hard time finding the drummer, or is it the other way around? He's so on top of the beat (and wasn't he supposed to go back to the stop time after the bridge? ;) )... I'm having trouble feeling the drummer's time, too, but it's not a problem for this trumpeter. He's just playing strong shit right down the middle. That was one nutty riff in the sax solo! Good energy, it's loose and fun... The pianist finally lost the downbeat (and so did I)... here's the trading section... STOP THE MADNESS! The bass player's on crack? But the ending was cool. Wild band you got there. :w

6. Piano duet - is this Jarrett/Corea? Ilike the major/minor polarity that occurs after the 4 minute mark. Other than that, this is the type of thing that does more for the players than the listeners - at least this listener.

7. Nice soprano tone. Surprised by the length of this piece - is it part of a larger work? Everyone's in tune. Kinda sultry, too.

8. Othello on steel drums? Don Alias on conga? Not Jaco. It's a cool sound, actually. Whoa! That key change after 3 minutes is wild! Some delicious intervals there. This sounds fairly recent, and now hearing the rest of the ensemble coming in (nice arrangement there), I feel like throwing out my guesses. But I like it. My cat is twitching in the midst of a dream while this plays on... maybe he's watching fish from a dock in the Carribean?

9. Ah - the dreaded synth band! The opening was like a predecessor to Tribal Tech, but then it quickly became more strange than that. Those synth sounds are hilarious. Very weather reportish in spots. Dude! I just glanced at my cat and I swear he was keeping time with his back paw for a sec. Guess I know what to post in the pet music thread. :P Vocals; heh heh. This is like second rate Zawinal, but not without entertainment value, and some chops here and there. Not to mention some unusual chordal choices, though whether they were made by man or machine... If this was some guys that I knew, I'd say, with a chuckle, COOL! :g

10. Strange mix w/regard to the levels, but this is pretty rippin'. Especially like the tenor and drums. "Name" players both?

11. The long journey begins and ends with an organ group. But wait - this one is fast being sucked into the heedious vortex of the black hole to parts unknown...... That was cute. :)

Edited by Joe G

1. Re: the cuixa (is that really how you spell it??), did someone say they hated that thing? Dig: we have it on one track of the new organissimo record. :rhappy:

i spelt it wrong as it is w/ a "c" (silly fingers). how can you hate it? dig is right. invented by some backseat Bahian toddler with an empty McFlurry. we look forward. :rsmile:

Dammit. I had prepared dis heah response, but the answers got posted first.

Oh well. I'll embarrass myself and post it anyway.

1. The no-brainer still teases my brain. Cannon's solo deserves a few more listens - he's pushing himself to play a different kind of Cannon solo, maybe feeling that the old trick bag didn't work so well by this time. It's from a later and lesser-known Capitol LP; as a DJ in this town used to say, it's "the title track from the album of the same name." Another one from “The Club,” meaning it’s a studio recording doctored with overdubs and applause?

2. I might be in the minority, but here goes: I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE. Love the spikiness of the string and piano writing. No idea who the tenor is; then I realized there were two. Maybe some Peter Phillips-Max Roach project? (With Billy Harper and Odean Pope in tow?) Or something from the makers of "Sing Me a Song of Songmy"? Or Shepp and Romulus? Gimme dat record!

3. The opposite number of Track 2. Soulful alto tries a little tenderness. Heavy vibrato, and some Websterian breathiness at the end. The chart flirts with excessive syrupiness, but never goes too far over the line. Can't ID, but I'd love to have the album too.

4. Quick recognition. It's the singer whose name, when it appeared in a piece I wrote, was "corrected" by a well-meaning editor to "Etta James." She sounds great here. That's Houston Individual on tenor. Recently the radio around here has been playing a lot of late-in-life performances by this singer, in which her chops were in obvious decline; it's good to have a reminder of how she sounded at her peak.

5. The trumpet is unmistakably Freddie. I disliked the tenor even before I followed Nate's link and ID'd the player. Yeah, the drums and bass aren’t clicking.

6. Just two pianos? Maybe three? In 9/8 time? It isn’t the Strata-East Piano Choir album – I checked – but can’t trace it. There’s also a multiple-piano record by Marian McPartland, Roland Hanna, Dick Hyman and somebody else, but I don’t have a copy and I don’t reckon this isn't them anyway.

7. Again I’m gonna guess Oliver Nelson or Gerald Wilson. Wonderful chart on a spiritual-like tune. Assured, beautiful soprano playing by somebody who isn’t just doubling on the instrument because it might bring in more gigs.

8. I know little about pans; how many does it take to get this wide a range? And does the tone always lose its firmness on the lower notes, as these do? The solo is interesting but a little too long. Love the trombone; sounds like Ray Anderson. Good steady, unshakable bass. No idea where this came from.

9. Sounds like late Weather Report; the tenor player's time is pure Wayne. I like the tune (funk in 3!) and the drumming. I'd like it all at least 50 percent better without the phony-baloney vibrato on the synth.

10. The Oliver Nelson track on Disc One made me say it before, and I’ll say it again: I KNOW this is lurking in my collection somewhere, and I love it, but I can't ID it right now. Tenor sounds like George Adams or maybe Carter Jefferson; trumpet sounded like Woody Shaw for a second but doesn’t have his focus. Early Jack Walrath? Love the tune, which has some phrases that teasingly remind me of other tunes; love the arrangement too. (If Brownie's link is correct, no wonder I can't find it in my collection -- I've lent the disc to another board member.)

11. This takes me back. I'm seven years old, on the floor of my bedroom with my red-and-white Westinghouse phonograph. I'm playing with the speed control -- faster, faster, faster! The Donald Duck voices bring me to waves of laughter. Then my father yells, "You play that record right or I'll take that thing away from you!" I made sure to never again play with the speed control while he was in the house.

This is too much fun, Jim. Many thanks!

EDIT: For #6, last sentence, I typed "is" when I meant "isn't." Or "ain't."

Edited by Spontooneous

1. Re: the cuixa (is that really how you spell it??), did someone say they hated that thing? Dig: we have it on one track of the new organissimo record. :rhappy:

i spelt it wrong as it is w/ a "c" (silly fingers). how can you hate it? dig is right. invented by some backseat Bahian toddler with an empty McFlurry.

:):D:lol::g:rofl:

This is too much fun

IMO, it's even more fun if you approach these tests "blind". :) I'll give you credit for being honest and admitting that you read the threads and open links before you post, but to me you're still not getting the full "blindfold" test experience that way. But whatever... that's just my take.

my red-and-white Westinghouse phonograph.

PLEASE tell me that you got some pictures of that thing!

Jim S:

Last I knew, it was still in the basement of my parents' house.

It served me well -- took me all the way from Little Golden Records at 5 to "The Rite of Spring" at 11.

Jim R:

First listens and note-taking were done "blind."

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to get in so late... I've had these written down for a while, but never transcribed them!

01 I don't get it. This certainly isn't like any Cannonball band I've ever heard. Just may be that I have a lot to hear! The horn really doesn't bring C'ball to mind though. Great percussion and vocals though! The saxophone just sounds a little too out of control for Cannonball. Maybe it is him. Whatever. I like it. Whoa! Come on back! ...alright... enough already. Would have been fun to have been there I bet.

02 Whoa. Is that that recent David S. Ware strings album? That is a lot of colliding motion to absorb. I'm guessing the second horn is an overdub. The strings are just so intense! Imagine sitting down to compose this!

03 Sap, but with some really interesting textures. The harp is nice. Helps the strings bring the flute in. Strong lead voice. I don't know exactly where to place this. Easy listening? Music to lay hip babies to bed? Music to roll credits to?

04 Nice piano solo, if a little deviant. I dig the interplay between singer and saxophone.

05 Blasting trumpet killing that solo, then sort of running out of ideas. Hubbard? The tenor player really goes for it, then gets his tongue all twisted up! I don't know about this one. That is one crazy damn left hand at the piano.

06 Sounds like a practice exercise turned into a vamp, or a Phish jam. Seriously! If you told me this was Page McConnell and Trey Anastasio, I would not be surprised. I keep thinking "Meet George Jetson!"

07 Baritone! Soprano! What a great junxtaposition. The soprano really soars over that arrangement. Nice and short.

08 Uh oh. Steel pans? and congas? An upright bass would make this heavenly. No that isn't my imagination. There is one! OK, how about a shaker or two. This is really nice. Who? What? Nice. Seemless transition to kit, then trombone? Pans player also trombonist?