Mike mentions three people writing books on Lee. I know of two who have actually made considerable headway, and will get something out eventually, one in the U.S. and one in France. I have helped them out as well with whatever info I had access to, especially concerning the unrecorded tunes I found at the copyright office.

For the third, he is probably one of several that I know of who have started such projects; I don't know how far they have gotten.

In the interim, Jeff McMillan did his Masters' at Rutgers on Lee. Most of the resulting thesi (is this the correct plural?) can be found at IJS; perhaps his as well?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I would like to see more histrorical interviews/bios with guys who are currently living and can tell their own stories. Freddie Hubbard, Jackie McLean, Lou Donaldson, Andrew Hill....the list really goes on and on right now. But not for long. In not so distant a future those guys will be gone as well. That's a sad fact. Their stories need to be taken down now. That's what SHOULD be happening.

Personally, I tried to start getting down Big John Patton's story, but he died.

Like Speilberg did for the holocaust survivors. Wish there was a government project to undertake getting down the golden era of jazz's participants stories. This is a national treasure we're losing here.

Soul Stream,

1. There is such a government historical project - the Smithsonian Oral history project. I believe they reside at the Smithsonian archives American History Museum. I don't have the web site handy. It may be on semi-hiatus due to budget issues.

2. Javier Gonzales did his Masters' on John Patton. That one is definitely at IJS - I read it there.

There are a lot of interesting thesi at IJS (Mobley also). I've only had time to skim through them. We should work out an arrangement with Rutgers to have access to them. University Microfilms probably won't work, because these are 'only' Master's thesi. On the other hand, they are probably owned by Rutgers, so there should be no issue of getting authors' permissions, as sleazy as that statement sounds.

I'm a bit sick today, so I may be a bit incoherent. Mike may point out several flaws in what I stated above. But the bottom line is, there are some 'books' out there on Morgan, Patton, Mobley, and this may be as close as we get to bios of these guys. We should pursue this.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Good points.  I've read Javier's thesus on Patton when I was at Big John's house.  Very, very good.  Love to see his full, unedited interviews.  Remember he had talked with Marvin Cabell, Harold Alexander and others.

George Briath is actually just finishing an autobiography.  Can't wait to read that.  Ben Dixon is another one that NEEDS to be interviewed extensively.  But certainly Lou Donaldson should be top of the list, don't know if anything's been done with Lou but I hope so.

I would love to see the website.  Is there a way of accessing the material on the web throught the site?

Edited by Soul Stream

Good points.  I've read Javier's thesus on Patton when I was at Big John's house.  Very, very good.  Love to see his full, unedited interviews.  Remember he had talked with Marvin Cabell, Harold Alexander and others.

Where is Marvin Cabell now?

Where is Marvin Cabell now?

He lives in Cleaveland or Cinncinatti, can't remember which one. Still playing on a professional level. George Braith still sees him when he's in that town on occassion. Thelma Patton also keeps in touch. Apparently, he was at Patton's funeral but I didn't know and wouldn't recognize him anyway. Would have loved to have met him and hope to one day.

Gracias!  :tup

Just talked to Briath....he said Marvin is in Pittsburgh he thought...but has prostate cancer and it might be fairly progressed... :(

That's a drag...

I talked with a blackjack dealer in Vegas back in 1981 who was a big jazz fan. He knew (and dug) Cabell and said that he was living and playing in Baltimore then. So, the cat's moved around some, it seems.

Wasn't he on some Black Saint/Soul Note album from the mid-1980s?

Edited by JSngry

Well, he's on a Lonnie Smith Kudu side (Mama Wailer on which AMG has him listed as "Cabbell"...), plays one solo IIRC, but I'm darn near certain that he was on some 3-tenor date (or some such) on BS/SN as well.

Didn't know about that Lytle side, though. How is it?

Well, he's on a Lonnie Smith Kudu side (Mama Wailer on which AMG has him listed as "Cabbell"...), plays one solo IIRC, but I'm darn near certain that he was on some 3-tenor date (or some such) on BS/SN as well.

Didn't know about that Lytle side, though. How is it?

I don't have it. Just read about it on the AMG. Funny though....I was just listening to "Mama Wailer" yesterday and remember seeing his name in the credits....didn't put 2 and 2 together though today! :wacko: