Olatunji dies

mikeweil

Jazz Times News

It's been a few weeks since his passing, but I couldn't find any note about him here on the board. Strange, as he kind of introduced African drumming to the scene in a similar way that Mongo Santamaria did to Cuban drumming - they both recorded the first pure drum/vocals LPs in their respective field in the U.S.A.

Columbia Legacy just reissued his classic "Drums of Passion", the Bear Family box set of his complete Columbia sessions is still available (with Clark Terry playing joyful highlife trumpet).

One of the masters of the drum and a deep inspiration for many. Remember John Coltrane was about to perform at his cultural center but died only shortly before?

R.I.P.

Here's the obituary from the New York Times' website, with more in-depth information:

Babatunde Olatunji, Nigerian Drummer, Dies at 76

April 9, 2003

By JON PARELES

Babatunde Olatunji, the Nigerian drummer, bandleader and teacher who was a tireless ambassador for African music and culture in the United States, died on Sunday in Salinas, Calif. He was 76 and lived at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, Calif.

The cause was complications of advanced diabetes, said his daughter Modupe Olantunji Anuku.

Mr. Olatunji's 1959 album, "Drums of Passion," was the

first album of African drumming recorded in stereo in an

American studio, and it introduced a generation to the

power and intricacy of African music. While field

recordings of African drumming had been available, "Drums of Passion" reached a mass public with its vivid sound and exotic song titles like "Primitive Fire."

Mr. Olatunji was born and reared in Ajido, a fishing and

trading village pervaded by Yoruba culture, and he made it his lifework to bring village memories to audiences everywhere. His band of drummers, singers and dancers evoked both the village's music and its masquerades, with outsize figures dancing in elaborate raffia costumes. His credo was: "Rhythm is the soul of life. The whole universe revolves in rhythm. Everything and every human action revolves in rhythm."

In 1950 Mr. Olatunji received a scholarship to attend

Morehouse College in Atlanta. He was planning to become a diplomat. He studied public administration at New York University, where he formed an African-style ensemble that eventually turned into his full-time occupation.

The group performed at concerts and at civil rights rallies led by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. After the group appeared with an orchestra at Radio City Music Hall, Mr. Olatunji was signed to Columbia Records. Mr. Olatunji secured foundation grants to tour schools. Among the students who were impressed by his performances - dressed in African robes and playing hand-hewn goat-hide drums - was Mickey Hart, who would go on to join the Grateful Dead and later recharge Mr. Olatunji's career.

"Drums of Passion" made Mr. Olatunji the most visible

African musician in the United States. Bob Dylan cited him alongside King and Willie Mays in "I Shall Be Free" in 1963.

"Drums of Passion" was hugely influential among musicians, helping to spark a wave of African-jazz fusions in the early 1960's. "Jin-Go-Lo-Ba," from "Drums of Passion," was remade as "Jingo" to become the first single by Santana in 1969. Mr. Olatunji mixed African music and jazz on his albums for Columbia in the 1960's. He was a featured performer at the African Pavilion of the 1964 New York World's Fair. With support from John Coltrane, he established the Olatunji Center for African Culture in Harlem, which offered music and dance lessons to children until 1988.

After his Columbia contract ended in 1965, Mr. Olatunji

continued to perform, record and teach. Mr. Hart invited

him to open for the Grateful Dead's New Year's Eve show in Oakland, Calif., in 1985, introducing his music to a new audience. Mr. Hart also persuaded his label, Rykodisc, to rerelease two independently recorded 1980's albums by Mr. Olatunji: "Drums of Passion: The Beat" (1986), which included guest appearances by the guitarist Carlos Santana, and "Drums of Passion: The Invocation" (1988), featuring Yoruba chants. Mr. Olatunji recorded and toured during the 1990's as a member of Mr. Hart's world-beat supergroup, Planet Drum, and made an instructional videotape, "African

Drumming," released in 1996. He moved to Washington and then to Big Sur, where he became an artist in residence at Esalen.

Mr. Olatunji also continued to lead his own group, Drums of Passion, which included students and family members: his daughter Modupe and his seven grandchildren. He is also survived by his wife, Amy Bush Olatunji, from whom he is separated; two sons, Omotola Olatunji, of Brooklyn, and Niyi Esubiyi, of Belle Meade, N.J.; another daughter, Folasade Olatunji Olusekun of Boston; and a brother, Dr. Akinsola Akiwowo, of Alexandria, Va.

Mr. Olatunji's most recent album, "Love Drum Talk" (Chesky) was released in 1997 and was nominated for a Grammy Award.

Columbia reissued an expanded version of the original

"Drums of Passion" last year, and Mr. Olatunji completed a new album earlier this year.

Source:

Drums of Passion

Edited by mikeweil

Some jazz musicians' records Olatunji was on:

Max Roach's "Suite: Freedom Now" (Candid), Randy Weston's "Uhuru: Afrika" (Roulette, included in the Mosaic Select box), Herbie Mann's "The Common Ground" (Atlantic) and others.

Edited by mikeweil

Thanks for posting this unfortunate news. After I saw this post yesterday, I went home and listed to Max Roach's "We Insist!" Freedom Now Suite. If you haven't heard this intense, moving music, I highly recommend it. Side 2 opens with "All Africa", which Abby Lincoln starts with a vocal, then Olatunji kicks in with an extended rythmic piece that is really outstanding. I hadn't listened to this one in a while, and it made me re-appeciate his contribution. RIP.

Guest GregM

I wouldn't call Olatunji a jazz musician, though he did participate in jazz and was a force in affirming its African roots. Might as well call him a rock musician for his influence on Santana. This is sad news. I really enjoy Drums of Passion and it had a great effect in giving rise to "world music" as a genre. I never got a chance to see Olatunji perform, but I saw the asian drum ensemble, Kodo, and traditional drumming has opened my ears to new ideas, and raised my awareness of traditions in other cultures. RIP Olatunji. :(

• 3 years later...