The Complete New Yorker

Guest Chaney

But read that second article posted here - isn't the lack of OCR the reason why we are able to have this in the end?

Mike

Well, a search engine like Google wouldn't have to display more than a few lines of the text--just enough to tell you you're on the right track. Wouldn't this fall under the definition of "fair use"? I guess it depends on what you call "electronic distribution"--in this case, the New Yorker isn't "distributing" stories like the NYT was, only images. That they have a reformatted index of the publication on their own computers wouldn't seem to change anything as long as the reformatted text isn't available to consumers (except of course in 3-line Google summaries).

Edited by Big Wheel

I received mine today, and it is GREAT!

Beautifully packaged, it comes with a 125-page, New Yorker-sized, book of highlights and there is a thorough tutorial at http://archive.newyorker.com. While I wish there was a word-for-word search capability, the one they have makes it rather easy to find things. When I entered Whitney Balliett and my name, it brought up relevant articles I had not been aware of.

It covers 1925 to 2005, but each year a new disc will be released, making it possible to keep up to date.

At Wal-Mart, with tax and shipping, it came to $66.86, which is a real bargain, IMO.

I received mine today, and it is GREAT!

Beautifully packaged, it comes with a 125-page, New Yorker-sized, book of highlights and there is a thorough tutorial at http://archive.newyorker.com. While I wish there was a word-for-word search capability, the one they have makes it rather easy to find things. When I entered Whitney Balliett and my name, it brought up relevant articles I had not been aware of.

It covers 1925 to 2005, but each year a new disc will be released, making it possible to keep up to date.

At Wal-Mart, with tax and shipping, it came to $66.86, which is a real bargain, IMO.

Check it out: ordering the New Yorker from Wal-Mart. :g

I am guilt-ridden! Haven't felt this bad since I bought one of Rev. Moon's WACOM tablets or, more recently, discovered what's behind Domino's Pizza.

But I never voted for Bush!

What is behind Domino's Pizza? I never bothered to look. The one down the street just had neighbors with a dog in the yard.

The Ave Maria Foundation (founded by Domino's founder Tom Monaghan) is a strictly Catholic charity that is building a Catholic community and university in Naples (Florida). Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I saw a couple of features on it and, yes, it is indeed anti-abortion (no surprise there), but what really bothered me was the Bush-like myopia. Monaghan (he recently sold most of his Domino's stock) is a religious fanatic and the way he and his people were talking, this sounded very much like another cog in the wheel of progress.

Anyway, I was sufficiently turned off by this guy and his regressive plans to not want any of my money (a pittance though it is) going in that direction.

I have to report that the New Yorker set is more of a bargain than I first thought--it's a delicious time capsule and I am not getting any work done, because of it.

I am still in 1925 and the New York that was then comes alive as one reads the little snippets by Dorothy Parker, et al. The gossip, the stories, the ads, the cartoons--just wonderful!

• 1 month later...

As anyone who has this set and has registered same should know, there's a software update available to fix some bugs:

Dear Complete New Yorker user,

We hope you are enjoying The Complete New Yorker archive.

An important software update is now available which resolves a number of bugs and improves the function of the viewer and the search. If you have not already been prompted to do so, you may initiate a free download by choosing "Check for Updates" in the drop-down menu on the left side of your application's top tool bar.

The new version includes the following fixes:

Several issues which are not readable on the DVDs have been made available for free download; the update application is equipped to access them.

The application is now compatible with all date format settings.

The search better handles punctuation such as apostrophes and commas.

Improved function when creating new reading lists.

As a registered user, you are welcome to contact technical support through our Web site, archive.newyorker.com, if you have any problems updating your application or if you wish to provide other feedback. We will continue to keep you apprised of news about the product.

Thank you.

The New Yorker

archive.newyorker.com

Reason I post this is that I just updated and then noticed that the reading list that I created and 'My Notes' are both now gone.

:angry:

Might be wise to note what you've added before updating.

Edited by Chaney

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The New Yorker is running a nice special on this book/8 DVD box: total price of $42.49 (+ applicable state sales tax; no S&H) including 15% off coupon TNYS3VD15 which you input at checkout.

New Yorker Link

Went to the link and the price is now $29.99. I'm really tempted to get it at that price. How is the readability of this for those who have it?

The New Yorker is running a nice special on this book/8 DVD box: total price of $42.49 (+ applicable state sales tax; no S&H) including 15% off coupon TNYS3VD15 which you input at checkout.

New Yorker Link

Went to the link and the price is now $29.99. I'm really tempted to get it at that price. How is the readability of this for those who have it?

It's fine. You can blow the font up if you need to.