Metheny plays for 150,000!

medjuck

I was just outside Montreal for a wedding this weekend and this morning as I left the hotel

the headline on one of the local French language papers claimed that Pat Metheny had played for 100,000 people at a free concert ending the Montreal jazz Festival. Then I checked an English language paper and it said (also on the front page) that it was 150,000!

I had passed through Montreal on the way to the wedding but to be honest the only part of the festival I paid for was a concert by Daniel Lanois. I don't know what it had to to with jazz but as always he was great.

I did hear a bit of a couple of free concerts by local groups. it was a lot of fun.

Now I 'm in Halifax and just found out that there's some kind of jazz festival going on here too.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who has never been to one of the Grand Evenement at the Montreal Jazz Festival, they are a really something special. It's a sea of people and one of the most exciting things you can witness. This year they had two - one midstream as always and then the big Metheny show. Needless to say, Montreal loves Metheny. Yet another reason I love Montreal. :cool:

Well they did open with some groups that claimed to fuse Celtic and Afro-Cuban music! But Bill Frissell was appearing (though some may not consider him a jazzman anymore). And they also inlcuded some straight ahead Canadian players: Sonny Greenwich, PJ Perry and Oliver Jones with Jennie Lee. (I may have gotten some spelings and even names wrong here.)