Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman

Rosco

I'd heard it was on the way, but I just came across it on the Nonesuch website...

A new version of Song X, the rather wonderful collaboration of Pat Metheny and Ornette Coleman. The original eight tracks have been remixed and remastered and... wait for it... there are six additional tracks from the sessions! :excited:

Police People

All of Us

The Good Life

Word from Bird

Compute

The Veil

Metheny's been quoted as saying the extra stuff is as good, if not better, than the original tracks.

August release date, apparently. With the Tubbs reissues, the Miles Cellar Door box and the Monk/ Coltrane this is gonna be an expensive few months...

:unsure:

I'd heard it was on the way, but I just came across it on the Nonesuch website...

A new version of Song X, the rather wonderful collaboration of Pat Metheny and Ornette Coleman. The original eight tracks have been remixed and remastered and... wait for it... there are six additional tracks from the sessions!  :excited:

Police People 

All of Us 

The Good Life 

Word from Bird 

Compute 

The Veil 

Metheny's been quoted as saying the extra stuff is as good, if not better, than the original tracks.

August release date, apparently. With the Tubbs reissues, the Miles Cellar Door box and the Monk/ Coltrane this is gonna be an expensive few months...

:unsure:

Don't forget about Coltrane Live At The Half Note 1965 coming out in October now. That's a 2 cd set I believe. Thank God I have stuff to trade for some of this!

• 4 weeks later...

I got my copy about 5 minutes ago :excl: Listening to it now. Vocabulary insufficient to describe Ornettely-goodness radiating from stereo speakers. :wub: The new material is on a par with the previously-released material, maybe even a little better. Nice to hear new versions of previously and/or subsequently-recorded Ornette songs. Need someone with more gooder words to write better review than I are.

Yay!!! :excited:

Am going to try to hold off on this one for a while as I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it cheaper in a couple of months. Every penny's gonna count for a while...

Temptation may get the better of me though... :unsure:

... as it usually does... :w

I got my copy about 5 minutes ago :excl:  Listening to it now. Vocabulary insufficient to describe Ornettely-goodness radiating from stereo speakers.  :wub: The new material is on a par with the previously-released material, maybe even a little better. Nice to hear new versions of previously and/or subsequently-recorded Ornette songs. Need someone with more gooder words to write better review than I are.

Thank you Stewie. :g

I'm expecting to pick up my copy at the PO Box in the morning.

I reckon I'll file under M as it's less crowded down there (well, at least under M-E-T...)

But if there's a sticker I may stick that between a couple of Ornette's discs to remind me of it.

Still awaiting this and the latest Osby and a couple of RVGs will be in the same box. Excited to hear the new tracks! :party:

Still awaiting this and the latest Osby and a couple of RVGs will be in the same box. Excited to hear the new tracks!  :party:

I got the Osby in the same box as Song XX but haven't cracked the plastic on it yet. Mob Job is one of my favorite Ornettunes so I'm looking forward to hearing Osby's take on it.

M. Same here when I had the original CD. Although it is not one of my favs, its tempting to buy the reissue to hear the new stuff and reevaluate the record, because despite my tastes it is a landmark record in the Metheny catalog. I just know that when they reissue "Zero Tolerance for Silence", I am skipping that one :D However if Pat decides to add bonus tracks to the other albums like live versions, that will be cool. I wonder if he'll do an expanded "Road to You", :excl: I have two CD's of A+ quality(sound and music wise) of takes they did not use for that album, how they started floating around, I dunno

Edited by CJ Shearn

I have three Metheny vinyls:

Pat Metheny Group (ECM), that was the first one wanted to test the waters,

then came:

Pat Metheny 80/81 (ECM) which I bought mainly for Dewey Redman, Haden and DeJohnette

and later:

Song X (Geffen), guess why!

That's three all filed under M.

Have not bothered with buying more Metheny's albums since...

• 2 weeks later...