Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman

Rosco

More tracks really is better!

I think it was a great idea to put the new tracks at the beginning rather than the end as is so often the case with bonus tracks. I can't think of other cases where the new tracks were put at the beginning of a disc. But it sure worked well this time.

• 1 month later...

Great news!

What?

Did you just sepnd a bunch of money on YOUR car insurance too?

;)

I'm gonna put in my .02 if yuh don't mind.

I freaking LOVE this...bonus tracks first? Please!! Great sound? Thank you. I file it under "M". I havent listened to this one since my turntable broke several years ago, but putting it on, I could have sworn it wasnt a day since I last heard it, THEN I realized that the bonus trackers were on there first. Let me just say I have a whole new apreciation for this now that it has been re-issued on this format.

I heard some of this on the radio recently and will definitely get it.

I had the LP years ago and sold it; I found the guitar synth hard to take. I believe I saw a quote from Metheny saying that he ramped back some of the more extreme effects in the mix for this reissue.

I'll file it under "C" for Coleman as I don't have a Metheny section.

Pat primarily used the Synclavier guitar synth on this session, not his trademark Roland GR300 (the weird trumpet sound) synth. And, whenever he soloed in the Synclav guitar he would use a sax sample mixed with the guitar tone, I haven't gotten Song XX yet, may have to, but the original disc the sax sample was way up front which is something that never really bothered me. FWIW, he uses a sax sample on "The Roots of Coincedence" from "Imaginary Day" however it was coming from a different synth device as he stopped using the Synclav panel in his guitar, same guitar however.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how, but that guitar synth-sax sample has been minimized to where it's almost subliminal. The only synth-heavy guitar bit is in "Endangered Species".

I was listening to the bonus track "Compute" thinking it was a Pat/Denardo duet, but then it hit me that that's all Pat (in the middle section). He's triggering all those percussive sounds, which at first listen I thought were Denardo's Simmons drums. But the dynamics and timing of the percussion is a little too precisely linked to the guitar. So whether it's a MIDI trick or something else, the title makes sense. As for Pat's actual playing in that track, it sounds to me like he's picking up where Robert Fripp left off in crosspicking.

Overall, the remixed sound is amazing. Bonus tracks are excellent.

I heard some of this on the radio recently and will definitely get it.

I had the LP years ago and sold it; I found the guitar synth hard to take. I believe I saw a quote from Metheny saying that he ramped back some of the more extreme effects in the mix for this reissue.

I'll file it under "C" for Coleman as I don't have a Metheny section.

What????

• 1 year later...