Favorite Jazz Drummer(Bop, Hard Bop)

mrjazzman

My favorite drummers are in order, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Philly Joe Jones, Billy Higgins and Art Taylor. Of course there are many others that I like a lot such as Jimmy Cobb, Charlie Persip, Louis Hayes, Alan Dawson. Of the young lions, my favorite is Louis Nash and I like Jeff "Tain" Watts a lot. What say you...........

Edited by mrjazzman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I was lucky enough to meet Art Blakey and have a drink with him years ago at Ronnies Scotts, he was amazing, you only have to listen to Night in Tunisia to realise that. But i saw the Guvnor three times and it was a brilliant adrealin rush, and i met him afterwards, theres only one genius and thats M r Rich, no contest, paul london.

Jack Dejohnette, Brian Blade and Billy Kilson.  Elvin Jones, Bill Stewart and Roy Haynes are up there as well.

just discovered I have mr. kilson on i remember by diane reeves, will have to give that a listen, not sure i'd put bill stewart in between two masters like jones and haynes

Edited by mrjazzman

Art Blakey, Philly Joe, Tony, Elvin, Jimmy Cobb, Donald Bailey, Steve Gadd. As for cats more active on today's scene, Jack DeJohnette, Teri Lyne Carrington, Brian Blade, Tain, Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez and Antonio Sanchez, Bill Stewart are some of my favorites. Sanchez is a major young talent on the skins. He has chops and the musicality to back it up.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Guest akanalog

if i see tony williams, ed blackwell, tootie heath, roy haynes, philly jones, eric gravatt, billy hart or elvin jones is playing on an album-that is enough reason for me to at least hear the album. max roach, lous hayes, jack dejohnette (sometimes) and billy higgins (sometimes) do not always connect with me the way i would like...art taylor is good though i do not find him individual enough to be a "must hear" player though i have the highest respect for him.

since it seems like people are listing drummers outisde of bob/hard bop let me add jon christensen, who is a great drummer and makes many ECM dates for me.