Any comic book fans in here?

I was almost strictly a Marvel head when I was a young un although I was a big fan of the Frank Miller Dark Knight and Watchmen series too.

Since I grew up in the late 80s - mid 90s, I missed the Silver Age of Marvel Comics, but there were still decent storylines and artwork back then.

I stopped collecting em in 94 when I went off to college. Since then, Marvel has gone bankrupt, I believe and the Marvel Enterprises of today is a shell of it's former self more interested in movie scripts and merchandising than anything else. Walked into a comic shop for the first time in years a while back and how things have changed.

Books are outrageously overpriced (even adjusted for inflation), have gargantuan amounts of ads and seem to have recycled concepts. The artwork appears to be influenced more by anime than anything else. I miss the good ol' days.

Here are 2 great cover sites I found...

http://www.comics.org/

http://www.samcci.comics.org/

Reminisce away, folks.

Edited by trane_fanatic

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have a big ol stash boxed away from roughly the same era, mostly Marvel from mid-80's to early-90's... focus on all things X-Men. Some Dark Horse titles were must-gets too.

My favorite limited series was the Havoc Wolverine one, with the wild water color artwork and a storyline from the latter days of the Cold War.

Edited by joeface

I grew up at a great time: I was six or so when FF #1 hit and my youngest uncle still had boxes of comics in the attic of my Grandma's house from the fifties (Batman and Superman and lots of monster stuff) AND a complete collection of the first decade of "Mad."

Man oh man, I can remember how exciting it was to walk five or six blocks to get the latest issue of "Strange Tales" or "Tales to Astonish" to get my Dr. Strange and Thor fix!

I managed to keep up with comic universe til I went to college and a bit in college, with interest that flagged. . . I think the last excitement I had was Conan in the Barry Smith years, and then it all seemed less important and I read more fiction novels and history books. . . .

In the late sixties I got hooked on "The Spirit" by Eisner due to the Harvey 25 cent giant reprints, and then I followed all the Spirit I could from various other printings, Kitchen Sink etc. I still would like to really have the first decade plus of The Spirit in the bound books DC is now putting out. . . I just have never justified the cost when there are Mosaics and Uptowns and Dick's Picks to buy. . . . But I think if I had to take just one comic series to a desert island Dr. Stephen Strange and Denny Colt would have to fight to the finish for me to take the winner along. . . .

My favorite stuff was probably hated by most of you: Silver Age Superman titles. You know, those Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, red kryptonite stories with Bizarro No. 1, a host of freaks and oddities, and every story ending with Superman in deep thought at "How ironic!" it all was...

It was like visiting another planet! :lol:

My "prime comic time" was the mid sixties through the mid seventies, so I was a Marvel fanatic, so that was as an adult. As a child I thought those Superman books were pretty stupid...

The last comics I read as I drifted away...

Sandman

Eightball

Hate

and anything by Milo Manara... :excited:

I read some X-Men as a kid, and liked it, but then when I thought about getting back into it, I found there were over a dozen lines of X-Factor, New Mutants, Wolverine, who knows what else. I'm a little bit of a completist, and realized I would go broke trying to buy all these titles, if I got back into it. So I didn't.

What I still read sporadically --

Transmetropolitan

Girl Genius

Mr. X and other comics by Dean Motter

I grew up on my dad's Marvel comics from the early and mid 60s (those would be worth a pretty penny today, if they hadn't been stored in a paper bag in the attic...) and I loved them. I still remember reading those old X-Men comics (I was SO resentful of the "new" team when they appeared in the 70s...to me the X-Men was Cyclops, the Angel, Marvel Girl, Iceman, and the Beast) and loving every hackneyed cliche that Stan Lee would put in their mouths...fun stuff!

By high school I was a die-hard Marvel fan. Hated DC and anything to do with it. I actually made my dad return the two copies of "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" #1 that were accidentally put in with my order one week back in 1986 (he's never let me forget that). Later, I got into Miller's "DK" and Moore's "Watchmen." Then I gave up superhero books and only collected "alternative" comics (Eightball, Hate, Yummy Fur, Julie Doucet, anything and everything by Crumb). Today, I've struck a balance. I currently collect the following books:

The Amazing Spider-Man (written by J. Michael Straczynski)

The Incredible Hulk (written by Peter David)

The Black Panther (art by John Romita, Jr)

Blood of the Demon (by John Byrne)

Doom Patrol (by John Byrne)

Wolverine (art by John Romita, Jr)

Anything still printed by Alan Moore's ABC line (Tom Strong, Promethea, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.). And anything else written by Alan Moore.

Anything by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale (Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Dark Victory, A Superman for All Seasons, Catwoman: When in Rome, Daredevil: Yellow, Spider-Man: Blue, Hulk: Gray, etc).

I also read some alternative comics when I like the artist or writer (people like Spiegleman, Chris Ware, the aforementioned Crumb, Bagge, and Clowes). In addition, I read a VERY sick book called "Deep Fried." The artist/writer (one Jason Yungbluth) grew up with me in Buffalo, NY. I was best friends with him and his twin brother, Chris. He has a website, which I suggest you check out:www.whatisdeepfried.com. I warn you, however: Jason's work is NOT for the faint of heart. He has a habit of tackling material that most people wouldn't TOUCH. One of the features in his book, Clarissa, is the heartwarming tale of a little girl who is being molested by her father. And it's FUNNY (in a deeply disturbing way). Don't say I didn't warn you. :o