Misheard song lyrics

I wrote a couple days ago that my upstairs neighbor woke me up with a top 40-style ballad that went

"I don't wanna die like that, I don't wanna die making love to you"

which I thought was more than a bit perverse. Later in the day I was informed that the actual lyrics were

"How you gonna act like that, act like that when I'm making love to you."

(I think the problem there was that it was 7:30 AM and the only htought going through my head was "DIE! DIE!".)

This isn't the first time I've misunderstood popular song lyrics. When Tina Turner sang

"What's love but a second-hand emotion?",

I heard

"What's love but a second-hand abortion?"

Needless to say, I spent quite a bit of time as a child figuring out what a second-hand abortion would be.

Later, when George Michael (YUCK!) sang

"I want your sex, ohh I want your love",

I heard

"I want your sex, ohh I want your womb",

which seemed like a pretty wacked-out line even to me. It actually was fairly recently that I realized he was saying love and not womb.

Got any good ones?

there's a book about this subject...

on a personal note:

my almost 4 year old loves music. she has several CD that i've burned for her. one of them has fun/satire tunes...Allan Sherman, The Chipmonks, and a bunch of Dr. Demento stuff. one tune, "Fish Heads" is one of her favs. during the chorus: fish heads fishes heads, rollie pollie fish heads, fish heads fish heads, eat them up, yum.

she always says fish cats...and insists that the phrase is fish cats. :lol:

Well, I always thought that when Glen Campbell sang "I'm a Rhinestone Cowboy" he was actually singing "I'm a Nine Stone Cowboy". You have to be British to understand that one however.

isn't that about 125 pounds. kinda light in the saddle, eh? :lol:

Well, I always thought that when Glen Campbell sang "I'm a Rhinestone Cowboy" he was actually singing "I'm a Nine Stone Cowboy". You have to be British to understand that one however.

Nice one JohnJ. Too heavy for a jockey, too waif-like for a cowboy!

I often heard the song by Kylie 'Spinning Around' on a breakfast radio show.

I thought, as did many others, that she was singing "Look at my Arse" I didn't realise how appropriate this was until I saw the video about a year ago.

Of course, she isn't singing that, but everyone watching the video sure is!

cheers, tonym.

There were several books on the subject, 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy was the title of the first one! ;)

I really probably should have my hearing checked....when I was quite young, I heard this song Play That Funky Music (White Boy) from Wild Cherry...I excitedly told my friends at school the next day, "Have you heard that song? Play that FUCKING music white boy? :winky: I was told even by the 5 year olds that I was wrong....Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam" has a line that is Rover Wanderer Nomad Vagabond

Call me what you will Before I got the cd, I naturally assumed is was No man bag a bones, tell me what to wear! For the both of you who like Megadeth like I do, Devil's Island, sounded like Devil's eyelids to a friend of mine, and everytime I hear the song, that really does sound like what Dave was singing! :wacko:

This is a chestnut, but my wife still insists that Sting is singing "I'm a pool hall ace" instead of "How my poor heart aches" in "Every Breath You Take."

I once saw an article in the paper on misheard song lyrics which claimed that the line "I've got my eggs and my pancakes too" in Jewel's "You Were Meant for Me" was really "I've got my head and my back-aches too." I've never seen any proof either way, but I insist that my hearing (eggs and pancakes) is right and the other is wrong. The second version makes no sense! The complete line is "I've got my eggs and my pancakes too. I've got the maple syrup, everything but you. I break the yolk and make a smiley face. I kinda like it in my brand new place..." Now if the line was really "head and back-aches" instead of "eggs and pancakes", why would she be talking about maple syrup and yolks? I ask you?

And no, I don't really like Jewel, I just heard that song on the radio so many times I memorized the lyrics. And I refuse to admit that I'm wrong, which I'm sure many here knew already.

So what say you? Eggs and pancakes or head and back-aches?

1. That cover of the old pop song "Venus" that came out a few years back - Bananarama I think - always sounded like in the chorus they were saying "I'm your penis..." instead of "venus." :huh:

2. One of my buddies, as a teenager, used to think Elton John's line in "Bennie in the Jets" was:

"Oh, but the weed and it's wonderful" instead of

"Oh, but they're weird and they're wonderful"

Tells you where HIS head was around that time... ;)

Edited by DrJ