Help with making CDs....

tonym

I've been tinkering with SoundBlaster Live! software that we bought with our new PC, playing the MDs in real time and recording through this software. However, all the recordings, when played back, have a tinny, otherworldly sound to them.

Has anyone here managed this process before?

I have a stack of great concerts from digital radio waiting to be put onto CD and the iPod if it can be done.

Help.

Thanks in advance.

how are you conecting MD player to PC ???

I use an Edirol UA1D for this , it connects MD digital opt output to USB port on my lap top, recorded to HD using Wavelab software- sounds great by avaoiding use of PC soundcard which may be your problem

Edited by Clunky

Just through an analogue line-in. I thought having this SoundBlaster software installed it would be able to cope with a simple task like this.

Those audio interfaces do look the business but I'm not going to fork out £70 for one.

Any other suggestions?

Just through an analogue line-in. I thought having this SoundBlaster software installed it would be able to cope with a simple task like this.

Those audio interfaces do look the business but I'm not going to fork out £70 for one.

Any other suggestions?

I really doubt that the soundcard is causing this problem, unless it's just plain broken. If anything, there's a problem with configuring the software, or the drivers aren't good for the soundcard, or the software isn't capable of handling what you want. If you want to browse for reviews of freeware audio recording applications, you might check out www.kvr-vst.com (huge site -- you'll have to navigate a bit).

If anything, the software itself might not be properly configured or allow for certain adjustments you might wish to make -- you should try a small freeware app in order to rule out the soundcard itself as the problem first, perhaps, and if the errors are still there, after tweaking everything you can in the new software, you could *then* try changing the drivers out for your soundcard, for example (KXAudio is a well-regarded replacement driver for Soundblaster cards, available for free, although it doesn't work for everybody -- Wuchsel's ASIO4ALL is another driver which might give you something to play around with), and if that fails, then you might consider popping for a nice Echo card or something -- but you shouldn't have to, just to get usable sound.

MDs are compressed, right? I take it the sound is OK when you play direct from MD? Just making sure.

Edited by j lee

I really doubt that the soundcard is causing this problem. 

I don't. My bet is that Tony is trying to go from the headphone output of the MiniDisc player to the analog-in of the computer, which is an impedence mismatch. Does the player have a line-out as opposed to a headphone out?

Even so, the best way is to go in digitally to the computer. The recordings on the MiniDisc are already digital. By going in analog to the computer you're adding two unnecessary steps, ie converting the digital bits on the minidisc to analog, then converting them back to digital in the computer. Once you're in digital you should stay there if at all possible until you actually listen to the music.

Any other suggestions?

I really doubt that the soundcard is causing this problem, unless it's just plain broken. If anything, there's a problem with configuring the software, or the drivers aren't good for the soundcard, or the software isn't capable of handling what you want. If you want to browse for reviews of freeware audio recording applications, you might check out www.kvr-vst.com (huge site -- you'll have to navigate a bit).

If anything, the software itself might not be properly configured or allow for certain adjustments you might wish to make -- you should try a small freeware app in order to rule out the soundcard itself as the problem first, perhaps, and if the errors are still there, after tweaking everything you can in the new software, you could *then* try changing the drivers out for your soundcard, for example (KXAudio is a well-regarded replacement driver for Soundblaster cards, available for free, although it doesn't work for everybody -- Wuchsel's ASIO4ALL is another driver which might give you something to play around with), and if that fails, then you might consider popping for a nice Echo card or something -- but you shouldn't have to, just to get usable sound.

MDs are compressed, right? I take it the sound is OK when you play direct from MD? Just making sure.

Thanks for that advice, I'll try some of what you've suggested.

The sound BTW has always been fine on playback even through an Aux line-in on the home stereo.

I really doubt that the soundcard is causing this problem. 

I don't. My bet is that Tony is trying to go from the headphone output of the MiniDisc player to the analog-in of the computer, which is an impedence mismatch. Does the player have a line-out as opposed to a headphone out?

Even so, the best way is to go in digitally to the computer. The recordings on the MiniDisc are already digital. By going in analog to the computer you're adding two unnecessary steps, ie converting the digital bits on the minidisc to analog, then converting them back to digital in the computer. Once you're in digital you should stay there if at all possible until you actually listen to the music.

The MD only has the line-out that the headphones use. It has optical and analogue lines-in....

i might find that this doesn't help; the switch between the two formats.