June Christy

jmjk

Whoa- yeah those are some hot pictures. Who is the sax player in the really hot photo where shes w/ the rest of the band? It looks like Getz but my senses tell me bob cooper.

Don't think it's Cooper. That guy you're talking about vaguely rembles Serge Chaloff, but his head ain't big enough, and I don't know that Chaloff played bass clarinet. Here's another shot from the same gig - Club Troubador, NYC, ca. 1947, with Georgie Auld standing up (and that's Red Rodney in both pix!)

01341r.jpg

BTW, Club Troubadour was a club opened by Auld, so that's probably his house band, not Kenton's. Don't think that's Kenton @ the piano.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down boy, DOWN! :D :D :D

Seriously, these are all photographs by the great Bill Gottlieb, and there is a website that has a tremendous amount of his work avaiable for on-line viewing. Here it is: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wghtml/wghome.html

Sorry, no Anita that I can tell, but here's another Kenton-related shot from 47-48 that fans of BREAKING POINT might appreciate

04841r.jpg

Edited by JSngry

Whoa- yeah those are some hot pictures.  Who is the sax player in the really hot photo where shes w/ the rest of the band?  It looks like Getz but my senses tell me bob cooper.

Don't think it's Cooper. That guy you're talking about vaguely rembles Serge Chaloff, but his head ain't big enough, and I don't know that Chaloff played bass clarinet. Here's another shot from the same gig - Club Troubador, NYC, ca. 1947, with Georgie Auld standing up (and that's Red Rodney in both pix!)

01341r.jpg

BTW, Club Troubadour was a club opened by Auld, so that's probably his house band, not Kenton's. Don't think that's Kenton @ the piano.

Well, guess what? There's a photo of Chaloff as a member of Auld's band that I've heard is going to be used in the new Uptown Allan Eager set's booklet, and he's got the same doubles set up as in this picture. So that's definitely Serge Chaloff, big head or not.

Edited by JSngry

I was going to start a separate thread about this (and probably still will), but through a strange series of events that transpired over the past several days, it now turns out that I'll be interviewing Anita O'Day for a two-part program that's scheduled to air on our local public radio station on Tuesday, Aug. 19 and Wednesday, Aug. 20.

Please understand that O'Day is my second-favorite jazz singer of all time, right behind Billie. I ran cackling with joy across the parking lot after I got the e-mail reply from her manager--and Lord, am I nervous! I went home and listened to "Let Me Off Uptown" right away. I'm freakin' out, guys!

That's great new GofM, and I'm going to be looking forward to the interview. Hope Anita is still "with it" mentally, as was mentioned before, she did put a lot of interesting ;) substances in her body over the years. Even with that though, O'Day is a survivor and it should be a great interview (keeping my fingers crossed!).

• 5 months later...

I was going to start a separate thread about this (and probably still will), but through a strange series of events that transpired over the past several days, it now turns out that I'll be interviewing Anita O'Day for a two-part program that's scheduled to air on our local public radio station on Tuesday, Aug. 19 and Wednesday, Aug. 20.

Please understand that O'Day is my second-favorite jazz singer of all time, right behind Billie.  I ran cackling with joy across the parking lot after I got the e-mail reply from her manager--and Lord, am I nervous!  I went home and listened to "Let Me Off Uptown" right away.  I'm freakin' out, guys!

That's great new GofM, and I'm going to be looking forward to the interview. Hope Anita is still "with it" mentally, as was mentioned before, she did put a lot of interesting ;) substances in her body over the years. Even with that though, O'Day is a survivor and it should be a great interview (keeping my fingers crossed!).

Ghost:

Did this interview come through? If so, how was it?

• 3 years later...

I've really fallen under June's spell the last few years.

It's good to see that Capitol has been putting her releases out slowly still. . . though I agree with another here that says that the import Capitol EMI twofer that contains "The Intimate Miss Christy" sounds better than the new McMastered Capitol cd.

If you're ever looking for a Christmas album you won't instantly get sick of - AND if you love June Christy - get her album "This Time of Year," which was finally released on CD a few years back. It's a concept album, of sorts, with all original tunes written specifically for this album. A very adult, sobering, and mildly depressing take on the holiday trappings to which we've all grown accustomed.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...