LEAST FAVORITE DRUMMERS

randissimo

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

han bennink gives me a headache with his light chattering style sometimes.

Boy, I'd hate to see your reaction to Sunny Murray!

no like sunny murray. i find him more "swooshy" and bennink more "chattery", which is what is annoying. also bennink seems "gimmicky" which makes me lose respect for him wheras murray seems sort of melodic.

Having seen Bennink live, it gave me a better understanding of what he does.

He was quite possibly the best drummer I have seen live.

Tom Rainey is good on some records, but on stage, i really did not like his sound and his approach of drumming.

Really? I thought he was great on a gig some months back with Tony Malaby and Brian Allen.

I saw him performing with Andre Jaume, and was bored by his drumming. Really. It was both noisy and without power. I talked to a friend which also was in the attendance : we shared the same opinion after the set. But to be honest i also heard very elogious comments this night.

han bennink gives me a headache with his light chattering style sometimes.

Boy, I'd hate to see your reaction to Sunny Murray!

no like sunny murray. i find him more "swooshy" and bennink more "chattery", which is what is annoying. also bennink seems "gimmicky" which makes me lose respect for him wheras murray seems sort of melodic.

Having seen Bennink live, it gave me a better understanding of what he does.

He was quite possibly the best drummer I have seen live.

Bennink is one of the best drummers the music has ever had, able to take it "out" and swing like there's no tomorrow. But I realize this is an opinion, and he certainly can distract/overpower. So can Milford, so can PLovens, apparently so can Tom Rainey. I have a bad memory for drummers I don't like; not that I love all of 'em, but it's easier to forget the existence of those I don't care for.

That said, Bu is not at the top of my list, though that's more for what I've perceived as a repititious approach aesthetically than anything he's doing or not doing. And besides, who the fuck am I to judge Art Blakey?

Guest the mommy

i have heard bennink on some stuff since i wrote in this thread which i enjoyed-for instance, that "dutch masters" album on black saint/soul note. he swings on that one for sure.

but i have also heard stuff where i am not crazy about him, like evan parker's "topography of the lungs". though he isn't terrible. just too light for me. i am sure i will be able to grow into bennik as i mature and appreciate more stuff.

i have seen tom rainey live and i think whoever earlier (michel?) described it, was correct-he is sort of busy and noisy, but without power. if that makes sense. though i think tim berne's compositions are energy sapping so this might have been the reason why.

what did i write here earlier...i don't remember. i did write i don't like ben riley and i will stand by that.

and i see what cliff is saying about blakey, but i don't mind it. in the context of the music he was playing (which can start to sound same-ey anyways if you listen to too much at once) it doesn't bother me.

jazz kat, aren't you a bit young to be making broad generalized dismissive generalizations like you did above about "fusion drummers"? no offense meant...but i mean, a lot of good drummers have played some of what you might call fusion and have done pretty well with it.

i have never really cared for max roach. i don't know why. but i was recently reading some of whitney balliet's writings and he had a good description of roach's playing which i wish i could remember right now...but i agreed with it. i will look it up or maybe someone else can recall.

Matt Wilson. He's so square he's cubical. And the sound he gets out of his kit is dead.

Yeah, & I hate it when he goes "avant-garde" & brings out a kid's raygun or something for one track on an album. :alien:

I think he's a player that maybe I get irritated with because he's everywhere, to the point where I'm guaranteed that at least one CD per month I receive for review has Matt Wilson on it.

Guest the mommy

well on the other hand, a drummer can play accompaniment as if he or she is solo-ing the whole time and it can sound good but no one else in the band can really pull that off.

i have never really cared for max roach. i don't know why. but i was recently reading some of whitney balliet's writings and he had a good description of roach's playing which i wish i could remember right now...but i agreed with it. i will look it up or maybe someone else can recall.

Was it that "he sounds like he's rapping a cardboard box" (or something like that) comment? While I love Roach's dark, punchy sound, he's also very on-the-beat--which can get a little draining (there's a sort of "monolith effect" at work).