George Coleman

montg

I've heard Coleman as a sideman on some of the obvious classics (e.g., Hancock's Maiden Voyage) but I have nothing from him as a leader. Just curious what people think about him and whether there are some sessions as a leader or sideman that are worth hunting down.

I've heard Coleman as a sideman on some of the obvious classics (e.g., Hancock's Maiden Voyage) but I have nothing from him as a leader.  Just curious what people think about him and whether there are some sessions as a leader or sideman that are worth hunting down.

At Yoshi's is a winner - great Coleman and Harold Mabern.

i think it was MartyJazz that turned me on to "Big George". mighty fine set. don't think its on cd. of course i love his work on maiden voyage and with max roach, if you like the hard bop blues like i do, check his alto sax solo on Kin Folks from Lee Morgan's 1957 set on blue note, City Lights. although im glad this master is still alive, after seeing him at Jazz At Perals in S.F. earlier this year with Eric Alexander and Harold Mabern, he's erratic and i think maybe its time for him to hang up his ax, drinks a lot.....................

• 2 years later...

I have three Coleman leader discs in my collection - all of them excellent: Eastern Rebellion (mentioned by Free For All), Amsterdam After Dark with Hilton Ruiz, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins and Big George by the wonderful George Coleman Octet (most of the writing by the leader).

Amsterdam After Dark with Hilton Ruiz, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins and Big George by the wonderful George Coleman Octet (most of the writing by the leader).

I think the first time I saw George at Ronnie Scotts was either just before or just after that 'Amsterdam After Dark' LP was cut - the quartet played most of those tunes. Pretty memorable it was too - George's circular breathing was astonishing. Either the next time or time-but-one he was at Scotts it was with the Octet (Frank Strozier, Danny Moore, Mario Riviera etc). They cut a disk that week on Ronnie's own label - not sure if it was the 'Big George'.

Edited by sidewinder

Amsterdam After Dark with Hilton Ruiz, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins and Big George by the wonderful George Coleman Octet (most of the writing by the leader).

I think the first time I saw George at Ronnie Scotts was either just before or just after that 'Amsterdam After Dark' LP was cut - the quartet played most of those tunes. Pretty memorable it was too - George's circular breathing was astonishing. Either the next time or time-but-one he was at Scotts it was with the Octet (Frank Strozier, Danny Moore, Mario Riviera etc). They cut a disk that week on Ronnie's own label - not sure if it was the 'Big George'.

Big George is an American record. Although I have it on the British Affinity label, it says it's a Catalyst Recording, recorded in NYC and mastered in Hollywood.

I'm also only familiar with him as a sideman, but a few years ago saw him get up on stage and jam with the Monty Alexander Trio for one tune, it was a lot of fun.

A couple of weeks ago I saw him headline with Harold Maburn and Eric Alexander. He looked very different- old, frail. The first tune sounded how he looked, but then after a killer crowd-pleasing solo by Maburn, he got energized and played a lovely set.