Happy Birthday Charles Tyler

clifford_thornton

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reminder, Clifford!

Tyler is an unrecognized giant!

And thanks to Chuck Nessa for having produced one of his essential record!

Tyler lived in Europe for the last part of his presence on Earth! He died in the southern France port of Toulon in 1992!

I spent an afternoon with Tyler while in New York back in 1967 when he was rehearsing a group that included Majid Chabazz on drums and an incredibly talented bassclarinet player by the name of Donald Strickland.

Tyler had trouble making ends meet at the time. The group never recorded. As far as I know, Strickland never got anywhere and never made a record.

Glad that the French label Bleu Regard has issued a number of Tyler albums! They're all excellent.

Thanks Chuck, and thanks Brownie for the story. I feel like I've seen Strickland's name somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Yeah, Charles Tyler really never makes the tier that he should. His baritone playing is great, his voice across instruments very different. Another great cast member for that interstellar orchestra that we've got...

I would think the Storyville and Steeplechase stuff would be in print still - The Definite Charles Tyler is pretty good (w/Khan Jamal and Johnny Dyani). Admittedly, my favor goes with the earlier recordings on Ak-Ba, Chuck, and ESP. Not sure if Saga is in print - it WAS on CD at one point. Eastern Man Alone, his 2nd for ESP, was reissued a couple of years ago.

I would think the Storyville and Steeplechase stuff would be in print still - The Definite Charles Tyler is pretty good (w/Khan Jamal and Johnny Dyani). Admittedly, my favor goes with the earlier recordings on Ak-Ba, Chuck, and ESP. Not sure if Saga is in print - it WAS on CD at one point. Eastern Man Alone, his 2nd for ESP, was reissued a couple of years ago.

This is a bit confused. Charles is on one of Khan Jamal's SteepleChase dates but does not have one of his own.

The two volumes of Definite (Storyville) have not been issued on cd. These are very fine and worth seaching out.

Saga of the Outlaws has never been on cd unless someone booted it below my radar.

The two Ak-Ba records were reissued on cd by Bleu Regard.

The Bleu Regard releases from Charles Tyler are available via Cadence.

These include 'Folly Fun Magic Music', 'Midwestern Drifter', the reissue of 'Voyage from Jericho' and 'Live In Europe'. Missing on the last one but all the others are highly recommendable discs.

And Tyler's first album on ESP is still available! A smashing debut!

Happy memories of Charles:

Charles came to the recording of Roscoe's The Maze at the Columbia 30th St studio. This was my first "in person" meeting after a bunch of letters and phone conversations.

A couple of months later Roscoe gave a concert at the Public Theater. I was in town for the event and stayed at Cuscuna's apartment. When Michael and I walked into the Public we were greeted by Charles saying "Well, here we have number (x) and number (y) reflecting our placement in the recent Down Beat poll. I don't have the time or inclination to look up the numbers, but rest assured MC was ahead of me. I'm pretty sure Norman Granz came in first.

His stay at our apartment in August of '78 - 3 weeks after the Maze recording session. Ann took lots of pictures and a couple of Charles with our 4 year old Carla are great. We all attended an AACM concert at the U of C one night to hear the George Lewis/Douglas Ewart group play.

Driving in Charles' clunky Olds from Manhattan to RVG's to mix Saga in September of '78. It was an adventure and Charles acted as a tour guide through Harlem. Rudy had to rent a 1" 8 track machine for the job - he was delighted to have a crack at the machine he rented.

Driving in my clunky Audi to deliver Charles (late at night) to an aunt's house in Lansing, IL - my car's wiring went screwy and we wound up searching for the house without headlights. Not sure how I made the drive home.

Introducing him to Hal Russell and the NRG guys at the first rehearsal for the Generation date in Sept. of '82. The rehearsal was a hoot and CT played his ass off at the recording session.

I did not see him after that.

This is a bit confused. Charles is on one of Khan Jamal's SteepleChase dates but does not have one of his own.

The two volumes of Definite (Storyville) have not been issued on cd. These are very fine and worth seaching out.

Saga of the Outlaws has never been on cd unless someone booted it below my radar.

The two Ak-Ba records were reissued on cd by Bleu Regard.

Would you recommend one of the in-print, on cd discs over the others as a starting point? I don't believe I've ever heard his work and would like to do so. I was eyeing the disc on Silkheart but the recent comments on his Bleu Regard discs, both reissue and otherwise, have me wondering if one of them would be a better point of entry.

Would you recommend one of the in-print, on cd discs over the others as a starting point? I don't believe I've ever heard his work and would like to do so.  I was eyeing the disc on Silkheart but the recent comments on his Bleu Regard discs, both reissue and otherwise, have me wondering if one of them would be a better point of entry.

I am not a fan of the Silkheart. If you can get it, try the Bleu Regard reissue of Voyage From Jericho.

The discs I ordered on Bleu Regard are backordered. I'll post my thoughts when I finally have a chance to listen to them.

In addition to Voyage from Jericho I also ordered Live in Europe: Jazz Festival UMEA and Folly Fun Music Magic.

Edited by John B

The discs I ordered on Bleu Regard are backordered. I'll post my thoughts when I finally have a chance to listen to them.

In addition to Voyage from Jericho I also ordered Live in Europe: Jazz Festival UMEA and Folly Fun Music Magic.

[/quot

was that from Cadence??- I was going to try them