Miroslav Vitous - Purple - On Columbia

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
49 minutes ago, Eric said:

18 years later … may need to pull the trigger!  Thanks Tom!

I set up an eBay auto-search, that emails me whenever a new particular match is listed — so if happen to notice the next email (in a month, or 3 months, or who-knows-when), I’ll try and post it here.

My understanding is that Vitous dropped out of WR due to his supposed inability to play funk.  And I imagine he found Zawinul to be a prick at times (maybe lots of times).

Anyway, Vitous was much valued by the late Chick Corea, and I think we can safely say that Chick knew and hired outstanding bassists.

8 hours ago, Milestones said:

My understanding is that Vitous dropped out of WR due to his supposed inability to play funk. 

This is… a fair assessment of his strengths and weaknesses?  He’s great at a lot of things but wasn’t well suited for WR’s post-1972 music.

8 hours ago, Milestones said:

And I imagine he found Zawinul to be a prick at times (maybe lots of times).

Also a fair assessment (along with “serial bullshitter”)

On 3/26/2023 at 9:53 PM, clifford_thornton said:

I feel like this LP has come down a bit in price and seems to surface more often now... 

Hard to imagine why there's never been a domestic US release of this one in any form.  

On 3/28/2023 at 11:13 AM, JSngry said:

I'm going with the notion that the money was funny in the first place and nobody wants to open that up today. 

Theories on possibly how so?  They were all signed to Columbia at the time in one form or another.

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Those were bands, not Billy Cobham. That's not how it works 

It does (or at least did) sometimes, hence the famous Epic/Atlantic Graham Nash (Hollies to CSN) for Richie Furay (Buffalo Springfield to Poco) negotiated trade of 1969.  Maybe jazz was different under Columbia.

• 1 month later...