Winter & Winter Packaging Must Die

Guy Berger

Digipaks are bad enough, but the contraption that W&W issues their CDs in is a monstrosity. Who the hell came up with the cardboard idea?

Record labels, please, there's this amazing invention called the jewel box -- please use it!

Guy

Edited by Guy

Completely agree. I don't have a single Uri Caine CD that doesn't have a few scratches on it.

ARRRRGH.

:rolleyes:

Digipaks are bad enough, but the contraption that W&W issues their CDs in is a monstrosity.  Who the hell came up with the cardboard idea?

Record labels, please, there's this amazing invention called the jewel box -- please use it!

Guy

You guys are completely right. I recently purchased a japanese issue of Cecil Taylor's Jazz Advance, and it is in the "mini-LP" format, so I have to slip it into this flimsy plastic sleeve and then slip it into the too-tight cardboard jacket. Bad idea. It also is bigger than the jewel-box size, so it doesn't fit in with my other CDs, so it's never wth my other Cecil Taylor stuff. Pain in the ass.

Sign me up.

Nominees-

Bill Evans Verve Tetanus Special

Herbie Hancock Plastic Where-The-Hell-Do-I-Store-This nightmare

Charlie Christian Suspended Frustration box

Norman Granz Verve Jams All-Fall-Out-The-Back set

Charlie Parker Verve "Altoids" tin

Great music, strange packaging.

Feel free to add your favorites. :g

Edit: To be fair, the Hancock did eventually come out in a long box, but still, what were they thinking the first time around?

Edited by Free For All

Hm... you bought a HatOlogy disc lately?

:excl:

Not sure if they changed their packaging since I got my copy of Horace Tapscott's Dark Tree. That was annoying but completely user-friendly in comparison to W&W.

Guy

Yeah, with those HatOlogy packages, the discs slip in nice and loose, while the W&Ws go in with an audible SNAP.

Yeah, with those HatOlogy packages, the discs slip in nice and loose, while the W&Ws go in with an audible SNAP.

True, although the W&Ws have the virtue of seeming fairly sturdy; the HatOlogy's are pretty flimsy. I haven't yet ripped one, but it can only be a matter of time...

:rolleyes:

Bill Evans Verve Tetanus Special

Is this the oxidizing (rusting) metal box you're referring to? Yeah, my most hated piece of packaging!

As for the Hancock, I have to admit it took me and a couple of other supposedly intelligent people about 10 minutes to figure out how to open the damn thing! :lol: