Evan Parker

7/4

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They appear kind of together on The Bishop's Move (Victo).

David, I've just checked that disc on a discog and it says "Evan Parker trio & Peter Brotzmann trio". Is it a split release or do they play collectively? If collectively, is the potential realised?

I made it last night to hear William Parker, Hamid Drake and Evan Parker at Bezanson Recital Hall at UMASS, Amherst. Overall it was a very good performance. The trio worked better together than I expected - they were obviously listening very closely together. Before the show I wondered whether W. Parker and Drake would lock into one of their grooves that E. Parker's playing style would not quite fit with. That never happened. They played three improvisations, the first about 40 minutes and the second two somewhat shorter. E. Parker played mostly tenor except on the second improvisation where he started on soprano and towards the end switched to tenor. I know many are amazed when he gets into these circular breathing endless drone tupe things, but it does not work entirely for me. He really limited that side of his playing and instead seemed to be playing off of W. Parker and Drake. Oh yeah, I was very impressed with his tenor playing. Ultimately, even though I thought it might not be the best match, it it turned out to be a very strong set.

Edited by relyles

David, I've just checked that disc on a discog and it says "Evan Parker trio & Peter Brotzmann trio". Is it a split release or do they play collectively? If collectively, is the potential realised?

Well, there are different combinations, including some of each trio separately. An 'interesting' disk but probably not a priority.

Thanks for your impressions, relyles. i'm glad you enjoyed the gig. I'd certainly like to hear that trio here in London.

I too find EP's soprano circular breathing does not always work for me in a group context. In a solo context, yes.

Can be marvellous used as a colouristic device in more orchestral pieces - with Kenny Wheeler or (very differently) Charlie Watts; or in some of those recent ECM discs.

Well, there are different combinations, including some of each trio separately. An 'interesting' disk but probably not a priority.

Agreed. Actually, the shame about the disc is it hasn't got the encore (I was at teh performance) which was all 6 players playing together. The main performance is actually mostly the individual trios, plus Schlip + the drummers, with collective improvs as a little mortar in between.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm an enormous fan of both long running Trios he's been involved in - the Alex von Schlippenbach Trio and the one under his own name with Barry Guy and Paul Lytton.

Amongst my faves would be 'Swinging the Bim','Elf Bagatellen' and the towering 'Pakistani Pomade' with the former. With his eponymous Trio I very much favour 'At the Vortex', 'Les Instants Chavires' and the beautiful collaborations with Marilyn Crispell 'After Appleby' and 'Natives and Aliens'.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...